www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old May 8th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Seer Master

On the subject of magnetic switches I think the X10 DS10A door/window switch will do the same as the Radio Shack switch (if you have the wgl800 receiver.)

It works fine to monitor door open/closed status and should be a little cheaper.
Old May 1st, 2018, 10:42 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anogee View Post
The hardware is simple, and you hook that up as Gordon describes. If you are just using X-10 with a Universal module, you don't need this because you have installed the magnet switch to be the "smarts."

I have an IR beam going across both doors, and that signal going back to HomeSeer. The IR beam is used to both trigger the alarm, and "beep" when someone crosses the beem to let me know if someone entered the garage. I may make it so that the alarm will only trip if the beam is broken & a door is open.
i have the garage door monitor and power-flash close setup that JeffCharger and Gordon describe. Works great.

I want to preclude the door from automatically closing if there is something in the way of the door (like a car!).

*** anogee - i have a question for you....what IR beam device did you use? and how did you get it to send a signal back to HS?

This is just what i want - HS can close the door if it's open AND if the IR beam is NOT broken for any reason.

Last edited by Jimboat; May 4th, 2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old May 9th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anogee View Post
The hardware is simple, and you hook that up as Gordon describes. If you are just using X-10 with a Universal module, you don't need this because you have installed the magnet switch to be the "smarts."

I have an IR beam going across both doors, and that signal going back to HomeSeer. The IR beam is used to both trigger the alarm, and "beep" when someone crosses the beem to let me know if someone entered the garage. I may make it so that the alarm will only trip if the beam is broken & a door is open.
Does anyone know what/where to get an "IR beam device" like the one anogee used for his garage door, to send a signal back to HS?
Old May 9th, 2018, 09:15 AM
OverSeer

You can purchase a Liftmaster Safety Reversing Sensor Replacement Kit from Liftmaster online for around $25.00 USD.

That said here left mine in place and added wiring to the alarm panel. Each door has two magnetic reed sensors, PIR in the Garage, IP Camera in garage and outside driveway totally separate. That said the door sensors trigger with any motion of the door and the PIR sensors trigger with motion in the garage. There are also RFID sensors in each vehicle.

In the 1990's with sensors / alarm panel connectivity wife pulled in to the garage while on a conference call leaving the automobile running and having the garage door shut on her ...it was low on the WAF.

Here is a schematic for the Genie Garage door IR sensors ...thinking that they are all the same.

Name:  genie.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  148.7 KB

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT
Old May 9th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
You can purchase a Liftmaster Safety Reversing Sensor Replacement Kit from Liftmaster online for around $25.00 USD.

That said here left mine in place and added wiring to the alarm panel. Each door has two magnetic reed sensors, PIR in the Garage, IP Camera in garage and outside driveway totally separate. That said the door sensors trigger with any motion of the door and the PIR sensors trigger with motion in the garage. There are also RFID sensors in each vehicle.

In the 1990's with sensors / alarm panel connectivity wife pulled in to the garage while on a conference call leaving the automobile running and having the garage door shut on her ...it was low on the WAF.

Here is a schematic for the Genie Garage door IR sensors ...thinking that they are all the same.

Attachment 68669
Thanks, Pete - i am looking for a simple 'stand-alone' IR sensor that i can make to talk to HS. My garage doors are older ones that don't have the IR sensor setup, so i can't just add into the closer directly. I am wanting to PREVENT my HS script from closing the open garage door IF there is anything (like a car or my wife) that is tripping the IR beam.
Old May 9th, 2018, 11:42 AM
OverSeer

You can purchase an alarm style photobeam detector, power it connect an analog to automation device to it like the X10 wireless style door/window switch (DS12A) or whatever automation you utilize. IE: here it is wired to the Leviton OmniPro 2 panel.

Here is a list of a few of these on Amazon. They are all similar in construction.

Photobeam

A few years ago purchased an "el cheapo" small footprint photo beam for around $5 on Ebay.

I used Radio Shack photobeam for my driveway in the 1990's.