Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Question

Hey Guys,

I hate to be "the new guy" asking another wiring question, but have the following situation. Recently have purchased HS3 Pro along with a few plugins and have made some pretty awesome strides in creating some screens and infact wall-mounting a PoE powered tablet as well!! That said, in testing out the Z-wave interface today, I ran into the following wiring problem with the HS-WS100.

Unsure if this is a 3 way switch issue or if I need to purchase a different/additional switch, but when wiring up the HS-WS100 I am only getting about 1 light to very "dimly" light up when turning the lights on and off.

Scenario:
    1 set of kitchen can lights controlled by 2 switches (I assume this makes mine a 3way setup??)

The current switches are wired as pictured/attached below and work perfect for turning all the kitchen lights on/off. Is there something obvious I am missing when wiring the new switches (which have 4 wire spots).

Any insight is appreciated!!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by MikeMAN987 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I hate to be "the new guy" asking another wiring question, but have the following situation. Recently have purchased HS3 Pro along with a few plugins and have made some pretty awesome strides in creating some screens and infact wall-mounting a PoE powered tablet as well!! That said, in testing out the Z-wave interface today, I ran into the following wiring problem with the HS-WS100.

Unsure if this is a 3 way switch issue or if I need to purchase a different/additional switch, but when wiring up the HS-WS100 I am only getting about 1 light to very "dimly" light up when turning the lights on and off.

Scenario:
    1 set of kitchen can lights controlled by 2 switches (I assume this makes mine a 3way setup??)

The current switches are wired as pictured/attached below and work perfect for turning all the kitchen lights on/off. Is there something obvious I am missing when wiring the new switches (which have 4 wire spots).

Any insight is appreciated!!
    You are missing the white "neutral" wire. The HomeSeer switch and the accessory switch require neutral connections to work. You will need one at each box. In your second picture there appears to be a bundle of neutrals.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Hi and welcome!

Yes, your setup is a so-called 3-way switch. The HomeSeer HS-WS100+ (and the equivalent dimmer - HS-WD100+) are designed to work in a 3-way switch situation with a dedicated HomeSeer companion/accessory switch - the HS-WA100+. They will not work in conjunction with a standard 3-way toggle or paddle switch as they are wired completely differently. They also need a white neutral wire in both switch locations.

First off, you need to establish where the incoming line from the panel (the wire that provides the power to the switch/lights) is in your setup. It could be at either switch or occasionally somewhere in the middle (at the lights).

You then need to establish where the load wire is - that's the one going to the lights. Again, this could be at either switch.

If this isn't obvious...

- Turn off the power
      - Check that it's off with a multi-meter in both switch locations
      - Label every wire in both locations
      - Disconnect all wires from both existing switches - making sure none are touching any others
      - Turn on the power
      - CAREFULLY use the multi-meter to test all the black wires in both locations against the white wire until you identify the one that is hot - only one should be hot
      - Turn off the power

Connect the new switches.
      - The identified hot wire goes to the Line terminal on the primary switch (HS-WS100+).
      - Connect the white neutral to the Neutral terminal - in both switch locations.
      - If the Load wire (going to the lights) is in the same switch location, connect it to the Load terminal on the primary switch. In this scenario wire nut and tape the other black wire that goes to the secondary location at both ends. this wire is not needed.
      - If the Load wire is in the secondary switch box location, then connect it to the load terminal on the primary switch, but in the secondary switch location wire nut it directly to the black wire going to the light(s), therefore BYPASSING the secondary switch.
      - Connect the red traveller wire to the traveller terminals on both switches.
      - Connect the bare copper grounds to the switches in both locations

NOTE: I am not an electrician. If this doesn't make sense please call one.
      cheeryfool

Comment

Thank you both for the feedback. I was able to install one in a single-pole circuit by extending a neutral wire and testing zwave operation..all is good....

For the 3 ways it sounds like I will be waiting for the Homeseer WA100+ companion switches to become available!!!

Comment

Working...
        X