Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleverest way to hide temp/humidity sensors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleverest way to hide temp/humidity sensors?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has come up with some nice ways to hide temperature and humidity sensors. I've got some DHT22's connected via Arduino API and I plan to install the sensors in the walls with ethernet cable connecting them to the arduino board (I like wired not wireless). I'll be drilling holes down walls from the roof space.

What's the best place to put the sensors and get an accurate reading?
    In a hole in the wall behind a painting or curtain? (Would they be accurate here?)
    Hidden in ornaments on the wall or shelves?
    In flush mounted enclosures fixed in the wall?

From reading I understand the best place for a temp sensor is on the wall somewhere around light switch height.

Thanks,
    Phil

I have four temp sensors each wired to CAT6 runs (only using 2 of the 6 wires, of course). I tried the flush mount ones first, but the temp could be off by as much as 2 degrees (they are more aesthetic, but the temp curve is off because the thermocouple isn't exposed to air flow). You want the one that's wall mounted (maybe 1" x 1" x 1.5"). I just painted mine to match my walls and they blend in nicely. Don't hide/obstruct them or they won't register the correct temp. Keep them out of direct sunlight unless you're using another sensor in another room that may be dark and colder yet on the same zone, which would then be used to average out the sun-exposed one.

Comment

Years ago used the old AAG 1-wire phone jack covers or similar glued and painted mounted on wall switch cover plates. Looking to update my 1 wire sensors and old covers found these external jacks at monoprice for a bit over $1 each. I would drill multiple holes in these covers. Personally mounted most of them at electric outlet level and a couple at light switch level (but they didn't look that nice).

[ATTACH]62322[/ATTACH]

These are a bit more expensive at around $5 each...

[ATTACH]62323[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]62324[/ATTACH]
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Good tips, thanks guys.
        Nice photos Pete. What sensors do you use?

Comment

I utilize 1-Wire temperature and temperature / humidity sensors.

I glued the telco like boxes on coaxial face plates and pass the wires to a connector and sealed the hole and painted the contraption many many years ago. (over 20 years now).

In the basement used old smoke detector shells on the ceiling rafters.

I have never had an indoor 1-wire sensor go bad on me. A couple of outdoor sensors have though.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X