Some design help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some design help

I am using main lobby for my sony 777 carousels and want to get away from them. I want to get all of my 1000 dvds converted to digital files.

Two of my TVs can do digital streaming. So I think this makes sense. I do have whole house video using aviatrix, but the quality kinda suck.

I have not got my HS to version 3 yet. But will do soon.

What is the best encoder for my DVDs? What format do I want to use and sample rate. Someone told me to just save them all as ISO and I will have all the content with menus, etc. Or this that a waste of time? I talked with a guy the other day that said to get them into MP4 format. So what is right? MP4 or ISO?

Then what software for burning the DVDS? Why isn't there a service like iTunes match for video that all I do is put in the DVD and it proves I own it, and I get a perpetual license (ok off point... I know ... )

So once i get a few burned to digital formal. What to use for the server. Serviio? Is there a better one? I don't care about free. I want quality and features...

I have a 1000 titles or more. I like what Mainlobby has for serving up stuff, but I really want to try to do everything in HomeSeer and get rid of the Main Lobby part. I only want to have to upgrade one system, not HS and Main Lobby.

Thanks in advance for the advice on getting me going.

Scott

Scott,

A good source for answers to your questions is the JRiver forum.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php

Comment

I want to get all of my 1000 dvds converted to digital files.
      I have here shut off the DVD/Blue Ray player (unplugged). DVDs/Blue Rays just occupy space and collecting dust.

That said I have converted the DVDs to DiVx with Dolby surround sound tracks. (< 1Gb and I can't really tell much of a difference - personal opinion).

Blue Ray's have been stripped of "fluff" and are from 3-4Gb - 20 Gb in size.

Not really in a purist video file sense.

I have shifted over to using only XBMC and built in DB functions; works well for me.

I am streaming live TV too via the MythTV box.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by scotthpdx View Post
        Two of my TVs can do digital streaming. So I think this makes sense. I do have whole house video using aviatrix, but the quality kinda suck.
        I got my streaming setup using Serviio. I burned a couple of DVDs and it started working using the applet that was built into my Samsung TV.

Then the stream stopped... The applet on the Samsung just disappeared and I had to reboot the TV. Then I could stream again.. Then it stopped and applet on the TV was gone again...

Anyone else have similar issues? I think it is a Samsung issue.

Comment

We rip our Blu-ray to .iso and DVD to a folder structure. We use AnyDVD to decrypt and MyMovies to catalog and serve up movies to an HTPC at each TV. It takes a lot more storage since the files are large, but the upside is hat we have full menus, full 1080P (and 3D) quality, no hiccups, glitches or compression artifacts. The downside is the amount of storage needed, currently at over 90tb.

We like the fact that we have our entire collection of some 3500 mixed Blu-ray and DVD titles, but I would be foolish to think that it is not long at all before we will have some streaming service that will deliver most everything we have in our library. I'll bet that traditional "broadcast" delivery, even HBO, Cinemax, etc. will be replaced by on demand services. Video programming will be more like podcasts. Even traditional outlets like NBC,CBS and ABC are providing much, if not all of their programming on demand. There won't be scheduled programming, it will be on our schedule.

Our internet speeds have almost followed Moore's law at the house as we have gone from 2-4mb to now 40mb in the last 8 years or so. I think 50+ is the magic number for truly high quality streaming video, so we are almost there.
          Last edited by randy; June 9, 2014, 03:39 PM.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Get a RAID box. Get JRiver Media Center. Rip everything in FLAC.

HS integration is a bit weak, but you will not be able to build a better client with HS Touch for either PC, tablet or phone than JRiver provides. With JRiver you can have zones that feed your whole-house audio system, your DLNA equipment (TVs, Receivers, Roku, etc.) and your mobile devices. The mobile app lets you control the zone you play to so you can use your tablet/phone to control the music in your home or you can choose to play to the phone itself, even if you are on the road.

The extent I use HS for is simply to select which zones play to which rooms. I use the JRiver app to select what is playing, though.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X