Spotify with HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotify with HS3

Is anyone using Spotify with HS3? I would like to be able to launch Spotify and play wakeup music. Any suggestions?

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

You can install a Squeezebox server (free) and run a squeezebox player(free) on just about anything these days and remote control it via Homeseer 3.
    Attached Files
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If you use the Sonos system and the excellent free Sonos plugin this is easily achievable. The Sonos system is a plugin and play high quality system that was hard for me to justify but I've never looked back. I love this system.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have been using squeezebox to interface with Pandora for my Wife for HSTouch, it works fairly decent. I recently have started to work with spotify in squeezebox, its finally working there with my account (had issues with playlists not showing up), and I am still working to get HS to interface with spotify.

It can be done, with some patience.

Comment

I use a cheap Android tablet, just as a Spotify client, which is connected to a small amplifier and some speakers. Via HS3 I can control the tablet via Tasker, start the app, resume or stop playing, even change the volume.
          A full integration in HS3 would be much nicer, but the current setup will fit the needs too.

Comment

Thanks guys, good suggestions.

I already have a whole house audio system and I can control the zones via HS3. Sonos or Squeezebox players are not an option.

I currently run Spotify on my desktop computer and I have full control of my music via the Spotify apps on my iPhone and iPad. This works great and I want to continue to use this approach. But I would like to get some basic start/stop control by HS3. Hopefully at some point I would like to be able to use the Amazon echo to start and stop Spotify via HS3. I am already controlling one audio zone via IFTTT and the echo.

I looked briefly at the Sonos and squeezebox plugins for HS3. They might work, but the learning curve looks very steep. Also, I would like to keep my audio/video stuff off my HS3 computer. I already have way too many programs running on my HS3 box.

I think Rutger's approach would be the best for me to pursue.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Rutger View Post
              I use a cheap Android tablet, just as a Spotify client, which is connected to a small amplifier and some speakers. Via HS3 I can control the tablet via Tasker, start the app, resume or stop playing, even change the volume.
              A full integration in HS3 would be much nicer, but the current setup will fit the needs too.

Can you provide a bit more info about how you use Tasker to control the tablet/app. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                You can install a Squeezebox server (free) and run a squeezebox player(free) on just about anything these days and remote control it via Homeseer 3.
                Pete,
                I've been doing that using the HS3 Squeezebox plug-in, but I find that the Squeezebox Spotify plug-in (the one that links Spotify with SB) to be rather limited. Is there a way to gain access to Spotify radio channels, for example, through SB?

I typically run Spotify on a computer in my wiring closet (using VNC) and route the sound card output to one of my Russound inputs. That works well, but is a bit convoluted and not well-suited to automation.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

You have to buy an Android device ofcourse. Tasker will not work on iOS.
                  Setup tasker as discussed in: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=158888

In the Tasker app on Android you can create several tasks.
                  One of them is for example to resume playing Spotify:

create a Task and set a name for it in CAPITAL_LETTERS without spaces
                  Choose "System"
                  Choose "Send Intent"
                  At the top by "Action" enter without quotes: "com.spotify.mobile.android.ui.widget.PLAY"
                  At Package choose "com.spotify.music"
                  At Target choose "Broadcast Receiver".
                  Save task.
                  Test your task with the Play icon in the left corner If Spotify resume playing, you can continue with Homeseer.

In Homeseer, create an event.
                  for example: Manually triggered
                  Choose Control device
                  Choose for your Tasker device
                  Choose for CUSTOM CODE
                  Set device string to the exact Task name you created earlier in the Tasker app.

Now with a button in HStouch you can 'control' Spotify.

You can do the same for volume levels of the Android device. or STOP Spotify. I saw a few days ago on Google also that you can play a certain playlist. Well you can a lot with Tasker. It's great!! Even speech commands.
                  Last edited by Rutger; January 29, 2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    Pete,
                    I've been doing that using the HS3 Squeezebox plug-in, but I find that the Squeezebox Spotify plug-in (the one that links Spotify with SB) to be rather limited. Is there a way to gain access to Spotify radio channels, for example, through SB?

I typically run Spotify on a computer in my wiring closet (using VNC) and route the sound card output to one of my Russound inputs. That works well, but is a bit convoluted and not well-suited to automation.

I do the same but use a raspberry Pi as a squeezebox player connected to my russound on a source. I agree I would like the radio buttons too and even the third party plugin is limited in squeezebox.

I am still on the fence if it's worth the effort to integrate Spotify into homeseer.

Comment

And created some virtual devices, that trigger the events I created earlier.
                      Attached Files

Comment

You can also run Kodi and remote control it from Homeseer.

Had a unique request relating to a flash based music website a couple of weeks back. (well and getting it to work with Squeezeplayer).

Basically it was just Chrome based and I was able to get it running and looking nice on the ubuntu tabletop touchscreen.

I am now seeing more of the Chrome stuff on Ubuntu working fine these days for custom websites which utilize Chrome in wintel.

- Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

There is a bunch of folks now on the Squeeze player forum that are doing all sorts of stuff lately. Maybe a request might work?

I keep one SP tabletop touchscreen on the rack next to the Russound amps. The tabletop has analogue and SPDIF outputs and is Gb connected to the switch on the same rack. I do not pay attention to it and the screen / monitor is in the off mode. Other ones are configured as subzones with AVRs for rooms (just using an AB switch for Russound zoned or local subzoned AVR). You can run the Spotify for Windows 10 on the tabletop tablet too these days. You can control it via Jon's remote plugin stuff.
                          Last edited by Pete; January 29, 2016, 11:20 AM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

you got spotify on kodi ?

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            You can also run Kodi and remote control it from Homeseer.

Had a unique request relating to a flash based music website a couple of weeks back. (well and getting it to work with Squeezeplayer).

Basically it was just Chrome based and I was able to get it running and looking nice on the ubuntu tabletop touchscreen.

I am now seeing more of the Chrome stuff on Ubuntu working fine these days for custom websites which utilize Chrome in wintel.

Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
                            Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

There are a bunch out there in internetlandia.

They are not all called Spotify. (most of them are not).
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X