No announcement yet.

ESP8266 - LCD Display temperature and humidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry last question. I really have problem understanding this "4) Moving almost exclusively to the NodeMCU I've had to adjust my circuits to adjust to 3.3V vs the Arduino 5V standard. Google is your friend. A simple voltage divider works in most cases. Power the 5V device from the USB In pins of the breakout board, but use a voltage divider on the pins back to the NodeMCU so they are 3.3V."
    I kind of get that the LCD board needs 5v. The NodeMCU only gives me 3.3V, how do I get 5v from the board?

Aldo

Comment

Aldo,

I have been unable to power a LCD with just a NodeMCU unit. If others out there have been able to please let us know how.

I had to buy a v3 NodeMCU with the V3 breakout board like this:

https://uge-one.com/breakout-board-f...board-iot.html

You can buy a pair on amazon with NodeMCU for $16. Beware, the V3 has different pin spacing from the V2 NodeMCU. A v2 NodeMCU will not plug into this board.

I further found the only way I could get the LCD to reliably work was to power with USB and use the USB power pins on the breakout board.

In theory, you could power the NodeMCU with 5V on the VIN line, and connect the power for the LCD to the same pin and it should work. I did not have a 5V power supply to test.

Comment

Originally posted by cowsr4eating View Post
        Aldo,

I have been unable to power a LCD with just a NodeMCU unit. If others out there have been able to please let us know how.
        I Run the LCD from the Vin pin on the NodeMCU boards. I think there are other boards out there that will not provide power on this pin but that is why I only support the NodeMCU because there are so many boards out there I can't support them all.
        I would feed the LCD with 5v from somewhere else and ground the two supplys as this should work fine.

Greig.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
        Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
        X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
        Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
        Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
        Scripts =
        Various

Comment

Thank you for being so patient with me, I got it now.

Aldo

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
            I Run the LCD from the Vin pin on the NodeMCU boards. I think there are other boards out there that will not provide power on this pin but that is why I only support the NodeMCU because there are so many boards out there I can't support them all.
            I would feed the LCD with 5v from somewhere else and ground the two supplys as this should work fine.

Greig.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
            Greig, could you please send me the link of the board that supply the 5v?
            Thanks

Comment

Making progress, I think. I Included the library NewliquidCrystal_1.3.4.zip now I get this error when I try to compile it, any idea.

Arduino: 1.8.1 (Windows 10), Board: "NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module), 80 MHz, 115200, 4M (3M SPIFFS)"

Build options changed, rebuilding all
              HomeseerBoard8:308: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to 't_backlighPol' [-fpermissive]

LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x3F, 4, 20);

^

In file included from E:\Aldo\Downloads\HomeseerBoard8\HomeseerBoard8.ino:305:0:

E:\Aldo\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewliquidCrystal/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:53:4: error: initializing argument 3 of 'LiquidCrystal_I2C::LiquidCrystal_I2C(uint8_t, uint8_t, t_backlighPol)' [-fpermissive]

LiquidCrystal_I2C (uint8_t lcd_Addr, uint8_t backlighPin, t_backlighPol pol);

^

E:\Aldo\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewliquidCrystal/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h: In function 'void DataEvent()':

E:\Aldo\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewliquidCrystal/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:154:9: error: 'int LiquidCrystal_I2C::init()' is private

int init();

^

HomeseerBoard8:685: error: within this context

lcd.init(); // initialize the lcd

^

In file included from E:\Aldo\Downloads\HomeseerBoard8\HomeseerBoard8.ino:305:0:

E:\Aldo\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewliquidCrystal/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:154:9: error: 'int LiquidCrystal_I2C::init()' is private

int init();

^

HomeseerBoard8:686: error: within this context

lcd.init();

^

int init();

^

HomeseerBoard8:702: error: within this context

lcd.init(); // initialize the lcd

^

int init();

^

HomeseerBoard8:703: error: within this context

lcd.init();

^

Multiple libraries were found for "Servo.h"
              Used: C:\Users\Aldo\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardw are\esp8266\2.3.0-rc2\libraries\Servo
              Not used: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Servo
              Multiple libraries were found for "LiquidCrystal_I2C.h"
              Used: E:\Aldo\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewliquidCrystal
              Not used: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\NewliquidCrystal
              exit status 1
              invalid conversion from 'int' to 't_backlighPol' [-fpermissive]

This report would have more information with
              "Show verbose output during compilation"
              option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Comment

Update back with good news I hope. I used the "UU" pin from the board for the 5v and I got it to work.

Aldo

Comment

Aldo,

I can confirm I can power a LCD from the same pin. I believe it is "VU". Either way it saves me space and cost of requiring the breakout board.

Thanks!

Guy

Comment

I know nothing about the LCD as I have not worked with one. However, I do have some experience with powering a variety of devices with nodeMCUs.

In some of my early versions of arduino projects, I built a board with 3.3v and 5v. It was complicated.

In my most recent projects, and the way I will continue, I use a 5V USB wall charger ($2 on ebay). I cut the USB connector off to expose the + and - wires and then solder a dupont female (F) connector on each wire. Then I take two 4 or 5 pin M headers and on each solder a small piece of wire across all pins so that they are connected. That will be my common ground and common 5V power. Then just plug things together with dupont F-F jumpers. If a sensor needs 3.3, I get it off the nodeMCU. If it needs 5v, get it from the 5v header.

Hope that makes sense. If not, I can clarify.

Comment

Logbuilder - Makes sense. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X