Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBeacons and PHlocation

Randy,

I, as well as others, would be interested in how you use iBeacons with PHlocation.

What do the iBeacons in the car connect to when near/at home?

Michael
    Michael

The iBeacons are paired to our phones in GeoFency. There is a USB iBeacon on my motorcycle, one in each car and one on Michelle's scooter. The iBeacons are only on when the car is on. When one of the iPhones is near an iBeacon, the corresponding device in HS shows "near". When the phone is away or the iBeacon is off, the device in HS goes to "not near". The response is nearly instant. Each phone (GeoFency) has the 4 iBeacons as well as predefined known locations. If both of us are in the same car, GeoFency in each phone report that we are near that iBeacon.

Using logic, I can trigger on whom is in which car, if they are at a known location.

For example: my phone reports that I am near the iBeacon on the motorcycle, I enter the "Home" fence and the driveway motion sensors show motion in the driveway (within 2 minutes of entering the home fence), the garage door opens. If I have been home more than 2 minutes, the door will not open. If I come home in another vehicle, the door will not open.

The iPhone location tells us and HS where we are, the presence of the iBeacon tells us and HS if we are driving or away from the car. There are many combinations that can identify where each of us are, if we are in a vehicle, etc.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Randy,

I plugged an AprilBeacon into a USB power supply, have loaded the iOS app on my iPhone and can connect. Is there a way to give it a common name?

And, how do I use it with geofency?

Thanks,

Michael
      Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
        Randy,

I plugged an AprilBeacon into a USB power supply, have loaded the iOS app on my iPhone and can connect. Is there a way to give it a common name?

And, how do I use it with geofency?

Thanks,

Michael
        I just received a few iBeacons from Radius Networks. This is how I set one of them up.

1. Pair the iBeacon with the RadBeacons iPhone app
        2. Add the iBeacon device to Geofency
        3. Setup the Geofency webhook settings (http address for entry and exit along with user name and password for the PHLocation server)
        4. Add a new Geofency user in PHLocation
        5. Add the UUID (copy this from RadBeacons app) under the PHLocation tab and make the user active
        6. Test entry and exit and it will be added as a child to the device you are using and in my case it was under my iPhone

I hope this helps. I've got two more to configure and then get my garage door working this weekend with a few tests. This plugin is fantastic. I can see myself getting more of these iBeacons and setting up a bunch of cool automation events.

Comment

Thanks. I will try this weekend.

Michael
          Michael

Comment

Thanks Mister Mike, I had just bought several USB and battery RadBeacons a few weeks back and was trying to decide how to integrate with HS3; you've helped me decide.

Comment

This sounds great - I will have to get some and try it out
              I like the idea of the USB ones so I do not have to worry about changing batteries
              Cheers,
              Bob
              Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                This sounds great - I will have to get some and try it out

I like the idea of the USB ones so I do not have to worry about changing batteries

Yes, definitely get USB ones. There are so many places you could use them.
                cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                  Yes, definitely get USB ones. There are so many places you could use them.
                  I just ordered 2 USB ones from Radius Networks
                  Cheers,
                  Bob
                  Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

So far the USB and the 'buttons' have worked perfectly.
                    I have the USB ones, plugged into USB chargers in various rooms and outlets.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
                      So far the USB and the 'buttons' have worked perfectly.
                      I have the USB ones, plugged into USB chargers in various rooms and outlets.

I have a feeling I will be placing an order for a bunch more myself. Glad they are working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sparkman posted a link to some ibeacons that he is using that look pretty nice to me:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...postcount=1399

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                        Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                        Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

So I'm curious,

Do you all just depend on the fact that you have your phone on you for the detection or is there something else I'm missing?

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                            So I'm curious,

Do you all just depend on the fact that you have your phone on you for the detection or is there something else I'm missing?
                            I'm confused by this question. You seem to be implying that someone would actually leave the house without their phone? I'm going to go hide under the covers until I recover from that image now.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                            Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                            Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                              I'm confused by this question. You seem to be implying that someone would actually leave the house without their phone? I'm going to go hide under the covers until I recover from that image now.

Lol
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                              X