Speaker.exe Not Connecting With PC "Name"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker.exe Not Connecting With PC "Name"

I have several Speaker Apps running on PC's connected to LAN(not on HS Server).

When I use the IP address(i.e. 192.168.1.113) they connect and work fine.

But when I use the PC name of the HS Server(i.e. ENTCENTER) it will not connect. The Name works in all other "http://ENTCENTER/*** " browser address accesses.

I have historically use IP addresses but would like to start using Name since it changes less often.

Is there some format issue? Or could some one confirm that they use Name in the Speaker App.

Thanks,
    BobSpen

I do similiar here with my windows hstouch clients (run HSTouch and Speaker dot exe (using MS SAPI)). Typically it is disabled though and primarily utilize 4 speaker clients on the main mothership which talks to the zoned audio.

Put the name and IP in the hosts file.

It has been in the same place since Windows XP. (same for Vista, W8 and W10)

c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

I also configure each PC with the same name properties.

In Linux too its been in the same place for many years...

/etc/hosts

Here still utilize mostly static IPs. I made a spreadsheet a few years ago to organize the devices on the network and I keep it on a clipboard next to the servers. There is a hard copy of same on one of the NAS boxes. The IPs/Names have been the same for many years. Relating to the clients also gave them custom mac addresses ...kind of overdoing it...name, IP and mac all have similiar numbers.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,
      I am referring to the "IP or name" text box in the Speaker App(see pixs)

BobSpen
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes; put the IP and host name of the Homeseer server in the host table of the same computer running speaker dot exe.

Then you should be able to use and ping the Homeseer server by name from the Speaker client.

Look at the format when you edit the host file and then put in:

ENTCENTER 192.168.1.113

The host file provides the DNS name pointer to the IP.

Here is an old host file which is the same today:

Code:
        # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
        #
        # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
        #
        # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
        # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
        # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
        # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
        # space.
        #
        # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
        # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
        #
        # For example:
        #
        #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
        #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1           localhost
        192.168.1.113       ENTCENTER
        Also configure static DHCP devices to add static arp entries on the main network here. (via PFSense)
        Last edited by Pete; July 25, 2017, 07:44 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,
          Your talking to a network novice or less. I was hoping to get away from having to even know what my HS Servers IP address was since it changes(i.e. from wired to wireless). Since my browser seem to be able to find the server by Name I was hoping the Speaker App might have the same ability? Apparently not.

Thanks for your help,
          BobSpen

Comment

Bob,
            Under "normal" circumstances this should work. Can you ping your HS server using it's name.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yes here my set up is a bit different and running Linux these days.

- no upnp enabled
              - no myhs service is enabled
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                Bob,
                Under "normal" circumstances this should work. Can you ping your HS server using it's name.
                Rupp,
                Yes, from the remote computer I can ping 192.168.1.113 or ping entcenter with the same result.
                What does that mean?
                BobSpen

Comment

It doesn't work for me either Bob.

[ATTACH]62483[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]62484[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]62485[/ATTACH]

I am going to say here that it is broken cuz it is the same name as in the configuration file.

I will try to put the DNS name/ip on the mothership host list and see if it works that way.

Well it did not work that way either so I am guessing it is a speaker dot exe issue.
                  Last edited by Pete; July 26, 2017, 09:36 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Rupp or Anyone,
                    Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

BobSpen

Comment

Working...
                    X