POE IP Camera reccomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POE IP Camera reccomendation

I have been using Hikvision for several years and I like it unfortunately it has lot of counterfeit cameras and is hard to select the right vendor. Can you suggest a similar camera that you like around $100 or a Hikvision camera that comes from the manufacture?

Thanks,
    Aldo

I personally use Dahua cameras and NVR here. They work well. But, it doesn't fix the issue you are noticing with Hikvision. They are probably made on the same lines, and I know they utilize similar firmware and you can find counterfeits all over the place.

Just be very careful on who you utilize when purchasing. And make sure you are covered if you need to return or get your money back. Amazon usually does a good job vetting out the bad stuff. I buy all my stuff on ebay usually though, but I make sure the user has a reputation that is good and has some years behind it.

Comment

I recently went through the camera selection process. I sunk the better part of two weeks reading reviews on IPCamTalk and ended up with a Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z. The night vision is superb. I ordered it from China but from a known seller who provides great support and ships US firmwares. If you would like his contact information so you don't have to go through Aliexpress let me know. Here's the thread about it: https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-...5231r-z.14683/ Notice how active the seller is in the thread. It arrived TWO DAYS AFTER ORDERING!Two day DHL shipping from China. Crazy.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Thanks you all for the feedback. Yes, please if you do mind send me that info.

Aldo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

all the ones i got from amazon were not USA ones as the first thing i do it update the firmware and if it bricks it i send it back.
          i have just started buying them from BH Photo as they are a certified dealer.

i have also gotten some of the Axis ones and they seem quite nice but haven't figured out the homeseer integration yet

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            I recently went through the camera selection process. I sunk the better part of two weeks reading reviews on IPCamTalk and ended up with a Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z. The night vision is superb. I ordered it from China but from a known seller who provides great support and ships US firmwares. If you would like his contact information so you don't have to go through Aliexpress let me know. Here's the thread about it: https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-...5231r-z.14683/ Notice how active the seller is in the thread. It arrived TWO DAYS AFTER ORDERING!Two day DHL shipping from China. Crazy.
            I ordered one of these to test it out and see if it would work. You're right, I received the camera very quickly - less than 1 week.

I was wondering if you knew if there was anything special about getting it powered up on a PoE network. I have a PoE switch, and the camera doesn't power up, even though the port is powered. If I plug the camera in using the dc power jack, it powers up just fine.

Thanks.

Comment

Not sure what to tell you. I just got a POE injector on Amazon and plugged it in. Everything works. I don't run enough POE devices to require a POE switch so can't comment there either. I guess the only other thing I can say is that IP cameras seem to need a lot of juice. Maybe your switch is maxed out?

Comment

Not sure what to tell you. I just got a POE injector on Amazon and plugged it in. Everything works. I don't run enough POE devices to require a POE switch so can't comment there either. I guess the only other thing I can say is that IP cameras seem to need a lot of juice. Maybe your switch is maxed out?
                Thanks. I suspect you might be right. I'll check out the power on my POE switch.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                  I ordered one of these to test it out and see if it would work. You're right, I received the camera very quickly - less than 1 week.

I was wondering if you knew if there was anything special about getting it powered up on a PoE network. I have a PoE switch, and the camera doesn't power up, even though the port is powered. If I plug the camera in using the dc power jack, it powers up just fine.

Thanks.
                  Do you have to go through this seller to get firmware update?

Comment

Originally posted by cjin View Post
                    I haven't updated the firmware yet so I'm not completely sure. I believe there were links on the original purchase site to the firmware, but I don't know if that is the only place where updates can be found.

Comment

Originally posted by cjin View Post

Nope. You can get the firmware directly from Dahua. You can also buy these cameras in the U.S. They just cost a LOT more.

Comment

Nope. You can get the firmware directly from Dahua. You can also buy these cameras in the U.S. They just cost a LOT more.
                        That's great! What link do you use to download? Probed around their US website, but could only find some tools, had problem finding any camera firmware.

Comment

I haven't tried to update it yet since it just works and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Many firmware updates are a solution looking for a problem. My camera isn't internet facing so no worries here. I think people post links to firmware updates in the opening posts in the threads for specific cameras on IPCamTalk. Here's an example for the camera I have: https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-...5231r-z.14683/

Comment

Working...
                          X