Insteon Sending signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Sending signals

I just bought a bunch of Insteon V2 switches, keypads, plug-in dimmers and a pair of SignalLinc RFs. I am going to be assigning each of the switches and dimmers an X10 address. My question is, since I have the SingnalLincs, if I sent an X10 command, will they be transmitted via RF or is it still done the old way through PLC? The only X10 "thing" I have is an CM11a. Reason I ask, is because I wonder if I will need to get some boosters or bridges. I'm just starting into this automation thing.

The SignalLincs do not bridge X10 signals. But not to worry . . .

When you assign an X10 address to an Insteon device, that does not prevent the device from also using it's Insteon address. In other words, all of your Insteon devices will work correctly through the SignalLincs.

You problem will be bridging for devices that are X10 only. If you have none, I suggest you forgo X10 altogether and wait for the Insteon/HomeSeer plug-in.

Comment

It still sends the X10 the old fashion way . The only thing RF is the bridging of the phases so hopefully you will not need a coupler/repeater.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rocco
        You problem will be bridging for devices that are X10 only. If you have none, I suggest you forgo X10 altogether and wait for the Insteon/HomeSeer plug-in.
        I guess that is what I will do - wait for the plug-in. Waiting is hard.

Comment

I'm lost. If you have a CM11A then why wait? These switches work perfectly with an x10 address.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
            These switches work perfectly with an x10 address.
            But without a coupler/repeater, they will only work perfectly over half the house. The SignalLincs will not bridge X10 commands, only Insteon.

Insteon will work over the whole house. My thought was that it's not worth spending money on a coupler/repeater, and then start hunting down the noise and signal-sucking problems when the Insteon plug-in would make it all unnecessary.

Comment

I'm lost. If you have a CM11A then why wait? These switches work perfectly with an x10 address.
              Exactly what rocco says. A few years ago I gave X10 a shot because I was tired of unplugging every light, every candle, every spot light at Christmas time. Half of them worked, that was when I learned more about boosters, bridges, etc. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I basically gave it up. Then I heard about Insteon, bought about $400 worth of Insteon stuff... I can say I am very impressed! All lights work, all my Christmas lights go on and off instantly, and not one gets left out. I could probably try hooking up my CM11a again and get a bridge and see what happens.

Thanks for the info here, guys.

Comment

If that's the case I would just wait as well. There should be some kind of an Insteon plugin out in the near future. If SmartHome would just get a stable SDK out it wouldn't keep getting pushed back.

Comment

I decided I could not wait for the plug in. I went ahead and bought a couple plug-in filters, bridges and a booster. It's working ok, but I'm still tweaking my system right now so don't be surprised if I have a bunch of "rookie" questions. I will search first, though.

Comment

Rick,
                    That plugin should be out any day now.

Comment

Rick,
                      Cool! I probably still need to use X-10 for some of the devices - like the powerflash interface I'm using to tell me if the garage door is still open...

Comment

Rick,
                        Rupp,

Are you speaking on behalf of HST AGAIN? or leaking insider information AGAIN? or just teasing us? or are you the actual author?

Comment

Originally posted by WayneW
                          Rupp,

Are you speaking on behalf of HST AGAIN? or leaking insider information AGAIN? or just teasing us? or are you the actual author?
                          Just leaking.

Comment

After Rupp's 10,000th post, HST simply wired his brain into their corporate communication feeds in an attempt to slow the torrent of posts.

Fat lot of good that did!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X