Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error in pops subroutine

Jon
    I am thrilled to use your email program and love it. Rarely I get an error that I'd like to share with you. It occurs when my HS machine goes to comcast to get my mail. Unfortunately the only way the error seems to go away is if I restart HS.

This happens to me on multiple computers checking email accounts at Comcast. Here is a sampling of the errors:

7/16/2010 11:57:05 PM - Jon00_Email - Error in Pops subroutine Block T: 40020 - Invalid operation at current state
    7/16/2010 11:57:04 PM - Jon00_Email - Error in Pops subroutine Block B: 40020 - Invalid operation at current state
    7/16/2010 11:56:26 PM - Jon00_Email - Error in Pops subroutine Block T: 40020 - Invalid operation at current state
    7/16/2010 11:56:26 PM - Jon00_Email - Error in Pops subroutine Block I: 40006 - Wrong protocol or connection state for the requested transaction or request
    7/16/2010 11:56:26 PM - Jon00_Email - Error in Pops subroutine Block G: 40006 - Wrong protocol or connection state for the requested transaction or request

another time:
    7/16/2010 1:04:53 AM
    Jon00_Email
    Error in Pops subroutine Block T: 40020 - Invalid operation at current state
    7/16/2010 1:04:53 AM
    Jon00_Email
    Error in Pops subroutine Block B: 40020 - Invalid operation at current state
    7/16/2010 1:04:14 AM
    Jon00_Email
    Error in Pops subroutine Block T: 40020 - Invalid operation at current state
    Jon00_Email
    Error in Pops subroutine Block I: 40006 - Wrong protocol or connection state for the requested transaction or request
    Jon00_Email
    Error in Pops subroutine Block G: 40006 - Wrong protocol or connection state for the requested transaction or request
    Jon00_Email
    Error in Pops subroutine Block I: 40006 - Wrong protocol or connection state for the requested transaction or request
    Jon00_Email
    Error in Pops subroutine Block G: 40006 - Wrong protocol or connection state for the requested transaction or request
    Jon00_Email
    Jon00_Email
    Jon00_Email
    Error in Pops subroutine Block D: 40006 - Wrong protocol or connection state for the requested transaction or request

and every so often this one:

7/7/2010 9:14:15 AM
    Jon00_Email
    Beachpalace Pop error : Connection was accepted but no data received before timeout. Connection closed

Is there anything I can do to avoid these errors? Thanks much
    Jono

I don't think I can help you much here. Basically they are related to WinSock (Windows Sockets API) errors which is the interface that Windows uses to access the network/Internet via TCPIP.

The problem I believe is that it is a shared resource and something else on your PC is also using it when you run my script. This causes the conflict.

Do a search for '40020' on this board - there are a few suggestions as to the cause.
    Jon

Comment

Thanks. I don't run itunes (the subject of those threads) so it must be something else.

I suppose I could use Rupp's Logmonitor and have HS restart whenever "40020" appears in the log. A restart always seems to fix it, which would indicate to me that the problem is in HS. If I don't restart, I can get the messages for hours, but if I do restart they go away.

Comment

Jono,

I would like you to try something. When these errors happen, bring up the command prompt window (CMD) and make sure you navigate to the Homeseer directory as the prompt directory.

Type in the following:

regsvr32 /u FPOP411.ocx

Once this is unregistered, re-register it again with:

regsvr32 FPOP411.ocx

See if the problem is cured. If it does, you can automate the process without a restart.
        Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon. I will try that. I just want to make sure I understand. I haven't put my Homeseer directory in any special place, so can I just type in those commands on the C: prompt?

Comment

There are several ways to do this.

The method I am showing you needs to change to the directory as Windows has no other means to reference to the OCX.

Depending on your directory structure, at the command prompt C:\ type:

cd progra~1\homese~2

or if that does not work try

cd progra~1\homese~1
            Jon

Comment

I will try the fix when it next occurs.

Is this fix just for the subroutine errors? Should I also try the fix when I see

7/20/2010 8:30:11 AM - Jon00_Email - stairpalace Pop error : Error received from PASS command: -ERR internal server error

or this:

7/19/2010 9:36:17 AM - Jon00_Email - stairpalace Pop error : Timeout waiting on connect request

(both of these errors tend to be more temporary in nature than the subrouting error, and therefore may not require a fix)?

Comment

The errors are due to connection issues with the POP3 server - Internet/ISP normally... these are out of your hands so all you can do is to ignore them.

Do you have anything else checking your POP3 accounts regularly?
                Jon

Comment

Just homeseer checking my accounts every minute.

I was able to navigate to the directory by typing

cd program files
                  cd homeseer 2

I then typed in the dll unregister command and register command that you provided above.
                  It appeared to work, but I won't know if it solves the problem until I can try it when having the constant subroutine issue (which I am not currently having). I will advise when I know.

If this fix works, I assume we could use the logmonitor to run a script that would run the fix. Is that right?

Thanks as always for your great program and your help.
                  Jono

Comment

Yes, that is correct.

Why are you also getting Homeseer to check your email every minute? May be the root cause of your issues?
                    Jon

Comment

I have a bunch of events that I like to run by email when I am on my blackberry and web access can be a lot more involved than sending a quick email. I suppose I could move the email checking to every 3 minutes or so and it wouldn't really affect the usefulness.

Comment

Well I think we have identified the cause of your issues. If both Homeseer and my script are checking the mail server at the same time, then you can get a Winsock error as they are both trying to use a common resource.

The trouble is that you cannot set Homeseer to check email that is referenced to the hour etc...just it's interval. You therefore cannot program out these clashes.

If you want to prevent this entirely, stop using Homeseer email for receive and use my script to trigger the events directly.
                        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                          If you want to prevent this entirely, stop using Homeseer email for receive and use my script to trigger the events directly.
                          Hi Jon,
                          On the Homeseer Email Set up I have Check Email pull down menu selected as "No". Is there something else I need to shut off?
                          I only use the HS email to send and would like to use your program only to receive. I thought I was doing that with the pull down selection mentioned above.

Comment

That is correct. Sorry but I misunderstood. You stated that you had Homeseer checking every minute and I thought that meant Homeseer's built in email functionality.
                            Jon

Comment

My fault. I should have been much more clear. I do have HS running your email checking program every minute.

When I get the errors again, I will try your recommended fix and report back here.

Thanks again for all your time and effor on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X