Connecting CM15A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting CM15A

I have a CM15A plugged into a windows 10 miniPC that runs HS3. I don't run AHP.

I tried plugging the CM15A into the Z-Net without success (no communication ) as far as I can tell. Is there something special I need to do?

I also noticed when the CM15A is plugged into the miniPc, although I do have communication I can only turn on some devices, not turn them off.

Lastly, with the CM15A plugged into the miniPC, I do not see log messages of the messages received. I can create an event that turns lights on, but I never see a message such as "command C15 on received" or whatever I would expect it to say.

My interest is in resurrecting/utilizing dozens of X10 devices for some basic uses. It's either that or have a tag sale and I'm not fond of those.

Ideas anyone?

The CM15A utilizes a USB interface rather than a serial (USB to Serial) and Mochad.

The ZNet device is just an RPi with a ZWave GPIO card. Here my POE connected RPi in the attic is doing ZWave, 1-wire hub and SDR NOAA satellite captures.

You will need to install Mochad on the ZNet device. Mochad and the directory sits in the root directory of HS3.

You will also need to install mono on the ZNet device. Then you can run it remotely like so:

mono cm15A plugin server=IPOFHOMESEERSERVER. Personally never tested a CM15A in this manner. I have tested a CM11A and it worked fine remotely from an RPi2 running Wheezy and Jessie.

For watching debug just enable the developer mode.

Here my base is UPB for lighting while still using X10 (and wireless X10) for a few things. IE: Christmas decorations are using outdoor and indoor X10 modules.
    Last edited by Pete; March 3, 2018, 06:07 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If the CM15a plugin is communicating with the CM15a hardware and you can control any X10 devices then the plugin is working properly.

Unfortunately the CM15a plugin does not report received or transmitted X10 traffic in the HS log.

To my knowledge, the Z-Net is a Zwave interface and does not support X10 hardware.

It sounds like your X10 communication issues are powerline related: noise on the powerline or other electronic equipment plugged in near the CM15a that is interfering with the X10 signals. Try plugging the CM15a into another outlet and make sure no PCs, UPSs or other electronic gear are in the same outlet. Then plug an X10 module into the same outlet as the CM15a and try controlling it.

Also, be sure to install the latest beta CM15a plugin as it incorporates several important fixes. The beta plugin can be found here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=185551
      Best regards,
      -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
      Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Thanks to both. For now, I'll leave the CM15A plugged into the Windows miniPC and I'll try to figure out the on OK but off NG. That's the reason I switched to z-wave and the noise issue continues to plague me.

I have an event that upon receiving C1-ON turn the z-wave living room lights on and upon receiving C1-OFF turn the lights off. Not sure why there should be a noise issue when I'm standing two feet from the CM15 as a test and there are no other X10 devices involved in this event.

And yes, simple things like XMAS lights, summer outdoor lighting would be perfect X10 candidates if signal noise were not the issue.
        Last edited by racerfern; March 3, 2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I leave an old Elk X10 meter on the computer rack. Typically do not see any noise on it. This past summer saw noise on it for about a month. The outdoor AC compressor was going and went. Replaced the outdoor compressor and the X10 noise went away. I box the X10 units with the Christmas decorations.

The noise can be on the circuit far away from the CM15A such that it overwhelms the CM15a X10 signal.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
            I have an event that upon receiving C1-ON turn the z-wave living room lights on and upon receiving C1-OFF turn the lights off. Not sure why there should be a noise issue when I'm standing two feet from the CM15 as a test and there are no other X10 devices involved in this event.
            The noise that I referred to is not caused by X10 devices but by other devices plugged into the power system of your home. Things like PCs, UPSs, laptops, TVs, cell phone chargers, audio equipment, microwave ovens, refrigerators, etc. Many (if not most) of these devices use switching power supplies that create huge amounts of noise on the power lines that interfere and/or completely block the transmission of X10 signals. This is the most common problem with X10 and eliminating the sources of noise through the use of filters is almost always needed if you are to have a reliable X10 system.

There is a lot of info on the web about this and here's an article from X10 with troubleshooting info: http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Identifyin...ntrol_Problems
            Best regards,
            -Mark-

Comment

The noise that I referred to is not caused by X10 devices but by other devices plugged into the power system of your home.
              Yes, I understood clearly and I'm aware of the possibility of noise from almost anything electrical/electronic. It's a plague.

Comment

Today my CM11a's, TW-523's and Volp dual phased TW-523's provide 100% X10 coverage.

My X10 and UPB PIMs plug in adjacent to the fuse panel with their own breakers and have serial cables going to two locations near by (+20 feet away).

Personally I would purchase a CM11A. Relating to Wireless X10 a WGL W800 works well with X10 stuff. Still using the WGL W800 today with one antenna in the attic; works well.
                Last edited by Pete; March 4, 2018, 04:23 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

@Pete - I can only wish I had 1/10th of your success with X10 as I might have never switched protocols and would have a lot more money in the bank.

Standing five feet from the CM15A I can have an event that turns a z-wave light on, but only after pressing off first. And then when pressing off again, it will not go off. Sigh...

I have three palmpads and all three react the same. Defective CM15A? Doubtful as I even switched codes. I keep trying to get various X10 devices back into the layout as it would save a ton of money but every time I try and set something up, I get hit with another obstacle. If I had a penny for every brain cell I killed trying to solve this...

Comment

Never owned or used a CM15A.

Before the WGLW800 used an MR26A with Homeseer and it worked well.

In the early days of Homeseer here modded my MR26A adding an external antenna to it.

Here went from X10 to first generation Insteon then UPB for my wall switches. (first home in the late 1970's was using X10).

Guessing well over 10k invested in UPB wall switches.

I am legacy here with no wireless automation dependencies for sure bet automation. Tinkering with wireless but do not depend on it. That is me.

There are many long time Homeseer users here that still utilize X10 as their mechanism of primary lighting automation.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Your RF issue is likely a problem with the CM15a plugin.

The CM15a hardware can relay received RF signals to the power line if that feature has been enabled in the CM15a using the AHP software. RF to the power line is not a function of the CM15a plugin and the plugin can neither enable or disable this feature.

RF to HS3 is not supported and some users have resorted to disconnecting the RF daughterboard inside the CM15a and using an external RF receiver (WRF800, RFXCOM, etc.) due to issues cause within HS3 due to issues within the plugin when RF is received.

The following illustrates the basic functionality that is currently supported by the Windows and Linux versions of the CM15a plugin:
                      Code:
                      HS3 ---> CM15a ---> Power Line
                      HS3 <--- CM15a <--- Power Line

Win - supported with some limitations (no Preset Dims, issues with Extended commands)
                      Linux - supported with some limitations
                      Code:
                      RF ---> CM15a ---> Power Line
                      RF <--- CM15a <--- Power Line

This functionality is handled completely within the CM15a hardware.
                      It is enabled by default and must be disabled/enabled using the AHP 
                      software (the CM15a plugin does not support changing this).
                      Code:
                      HS3 ---> CM15a ---> RF
                      HS3 <--- CM15a <--- RF

Win - not supported
                      Linux - not supported
                      Since you are using Windows, please be sure you have the latest version of the Windows CM15a plugin installed as there are changes in that version that begin to address some of the RF issues, but please understand that RF --> CM15a --> HS3 is definitely not working.
                      Last edited by mfisher; March 7, 2018, 10:14 AM.
                      Best regards,
                      -Mark-

Comment

I mentioned above that I do not depend on wireless for automation and that is a contradiction as I use a wall mounted 4 button palm pad for a wireless flag on my garage door open / close script if I am working in the garage with the door open. This configuration has worked 100% for over 10 years.

My first Zoneminder CCTV to hard wired PIR sensors (and other wired sensors) configuration utilized X10 status for alert triggers using outdoor combo cameras.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have a CM15A plugged into a windows 10 miniPC that runs HS3. I don't run AHP.

I tried plugging the CM15A into the Z-Net without success (no communication ) as far as I can tell. Is there something special I need to do?

I also noticed when the CM15A is plugged into the miniPc, although I do have communication I can only turn on some devices, not turn them off.

Lastly, with the CM15A plugged into the miniPC, I do not see log messages of the messages received. I can create an event that turns lights on, but I never see a message such as "command C15 on received" or whatever I would expect it to say.

My interest is in resurrecting/utilizing dozens of X10 devices for some basic uses. It's either that or have a tag sale and I'm not fond of those.

Ideas anyone?
                          Just returning to your original post, you have a load of x10 devices which you want to control with a CM15a on a Windows 10 mini pc but don't use AHP. I assume that's correct.

In that case under the Windows environment your best option is a program called Active Home Vista. Gives you all the benefits of a program like AHP plus it can be controlled over the web with its own server and has an Android App that will allow you to do your thing on a smartphone and it's free of course.

Going the Linux route you just install Mochad on whatever variant of Linux you use. Mission accomplished. Of course Mochad works nicely with the CM15a in Homeseer using the x10 CM15a plugin using a Raspberry Pi.

The choice is yours but I wouldn't recommend messing around with Z-Net and x10 together.

Comment

I have a CM15A plugged into a windows 10 miniPC that runs HS3. I don't run AHP........... Ideas anyone?
                            I just found this post. I know a lot more about the CM15A and X10 than I do about HS. My original thought when I saw you don't run AHP was: What is the settings on your CM15A? And, how did you set the CM15A to transceiver... or not.

Of course... X10 no longer sells or markets their AHP software but there is a download available at:

http://www.authinx.com/software/SW31A/AHP_3.318.exe

Comment

Right now, it doesn't much matter. My second CM15A just broke where the USB cable plugs in. The center piece pulled out and I didn't realize it. When I went to plug it back in, the silver contacts inside got mangled. I straightened them as best as possible and it worked for a day. Now it's not recognized by AHP.

I've thrown in the towel on X10, refusing to invest a penny more. I have one remaining X10 dimmer switch which I will switch to z-wave as soon as I run a wire with neutral down from the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X