Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is homeseer with CC plugin robust? (i'm thinking of moving from vera)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is homeseer with CC plugin robust? (i'm thinking of moving from vera)

Background - I've hit stability issues again with Veralite & considering moving off. I've just found out about HomeSeer and see there is a CC plugin. I have an existing Current Cost setup with 3 clamps (key things I look at is total power and solar power). I use LUA scripts to make decisions re what Vera controllable switch to switch on/off (zwave) using this info.

Q1 - Would you recommend moving to HomeSeer for Current Cost? In other words is the Current Cost implementation on HomeSeer ok?

Q2 - It seems like HomeSeer lets you do scripting like Vera, by means of VB script from what I see, so I should be able to get access to the current Power / Solar Power data from Current Cost, within the HomeSeer environment right?

Q3 - If there's an issue with HomeSeer/Current Cost plugin not being able to do the above, not sure if there's any other recommendations for a Vera alternative? (seems like HomeSeer should be capable but just in case)

Q4 - I'll look into this, however if you happen to know, would the "HomeTroller Zee S2" be ok for what I want to do, or would/should I get the "HomeTroller-SEL" at least?

Personally I would test run Homeseer 3 as a trial and see how it fits.

There are many old Vera users here on the forum using Homeseer today and are happy campers.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

It would re-assuring to hear from someone who is actually using CurrentCost with the plugin successfully to get a level of comfort before investing...

Assuming here even with free trail I'll still need a windows box or purchase a HomeTroller-SEL Home Automation Controller (which is what I was thinking of). Not sure if plugins are free during the trial period?

Comment

Originally posted by mixedup View Post
        It would re-assuring to hear from someone who is actually using CurrentCost with the plugin successfully to get a level of comfort before investing...

Assuming here even with free trail I'll still need a windows box or purchase a HomeTroller-SEL Home Automation Controller (which is what I was thinking of). Not sure if plugins are free during the trial period?
        You would get 30 days free trial so if the HS plugin was not good enough for you then you can move away from it, I have written a plugin for the current cost units (link in my signature) which may or may not be suitable for your needs.

You can get live power from the unit without issue, you would get a clamp output (three clamps per sensor) and then a total for the sensor. The direction (generated vs. consumed) however is problematic because of issues with the HomeSeer Energy API. It may or may not work in terms of doing full calculations but I think I would advise sending the data elsewhere if you were after comprehensive data analysis.

It should work on any variant of HomeSeer, be it Linux or Windows. Although the version in the HomeSeer updater will not work on Linux and you would have to get the version posted in the first post on the thread.

Comment

I used Adam's CC plugin and find it great. The numbers are a bit off comparing to what my smart meter supposedly reports to Hydro Ottawa. It's likely the CC device variance against the Smart meter. In this case, I've written a script which compensates within a couple of percentages from what my electric company says.
          The stuff I'm interested in is how much do I consume in a given day. So I capture this to Jon00's charting application. I can see easily over a range what my total (day or period), peak, min and average daily consumption is.
          I also use Aeon power monitoring for my pool shed. This gives me the numbers for running my pool.
          Using Alexa and Jon's Alexa helper, I can also ask it for "Todays power consumption" and she responds accordingly... "So far the house has consumed 22.3 Kilo-watt hours of electricity and is currently consuming 1500 watts".

Robert
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

thanks mrhappy/langenet - good to hear.

Have to admit I just went down a little bit of a sidepath and had a look at Home Assistant (raspberry) which being a techo at heart looks very interesting. Wondering too whether (for a techo only of course) this might be a more flexible platform for CurrentCost in terms of having to flexibility to "adjust" if you have to? [ultimately I just want to get solar/power consumption into some programming/scripting language environment, and then be able to control zwave switches from this]

Comment

Can't help you with your question, sorry. I also moved from Vera, and I would never make a decision to move my entire HA system based on one 'system'.

Depending on how complicated your HA system is, the move may not be an easy one.

That said..

Vera is a toy compared to HomeSeer and the plugin repository that surrounds it. The single best HA decision I've ever made was moving to HomeSeer, and away form Vera. Yes it wasn't easy at first moving everything over but WOW, I'm soooooo glad I did.
              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Working...
              X