SOLVED Insteon lag issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED Insteon lag issues

In case anyone else here has the same problem, I wanted to share what I found to be the cause of serious Insteon performance problems and errors (with both Mark's plugin and HST's).

Commands seemed to work fine for a while after starting the plugin, but then I started seeing many errors and commands timing out. A command to turn on a lamp might take 20-30 minutes to go through. Restarting the plugin seemed to make things better for a while. I should note that I have only 2 Insteon devices controlled by my PLM.

What I found was that I had a misconfigured event. It was designed to turn on my desk lamp when motion was detected in my office, and turn it off after no motion for 5 minutes. The ON event was fine - turn the lamp on when motion changes from OFF to ON. The problem was in the OFF event. It was set trigger when motion has been OFF for at least 5 minutes. This event continued to fire rapidly, flooding HomeSeer and the Insteon network.

I changed the event to fire when motion has been OFF for at least 5 minutes AND the lamp is turned on. Now I have no more Insteon problems. Hopefully this helps someone else who like me didn't completely understand the event triggers.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Glad you figured this out and thanks for posting. do you have any idea how frequently the off event was running? typically these kind of events run about every minute, but it seems like yours was running more frequently; enough to overwhelm the network. I've never seen that before.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks, this is the kind of subtle thing that will drive you insane trying to figure it out. I am just starting on my HS3 adventure, and I have several event groups that operate similarly, some with motion sensors This tip definitely will help me.

Please continue providing these kinds of tips and I certainly will too.
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
        Glad you figured this out and thanks for posting. do you have any idea how frequently the off event was running? typically these kind of events run about every minute, but it seems like yours was running more frequently; enough to overwhelm the network. I've never seen that before.
        I should probably have stated that it was overrunning the HS event system, as Insteon can handle much more rapid commands than HomeSeer can send through events. I didn't measure but the event seemed to be running several times per second.
        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Thanks for posting, I thought I was going crazy and couldn't figuer it out until I read this.

Comment

I use "has been for exactly". That works very well and saves adding the condition of "AND - light is on".

If you're new to HS, another super handy trigger that Mark has included in the plug-in is "Insteon Special Trigger - Transmits an ON Command". Use that in place of "Changes and Becomes On". If HS missed the last Off command, it thinks the motion is still ON, so an ON command from the Motion does not trigger the "Changes from OFF to ON" event. But "Transmits an ON command" will trigger the event regardless of its previous state. Likewise, use Special Insteon Trigger "Transmits an OFF Command" to turn the light off. That way it will run the event to turn the light off even if HS was confused thinking it was OFF when it was actually ON.

Comment

One more suggestion for motion sensors: Add an OR trigger to shut the light OFF again after some long period of time. There are some occasions when commands don't get through. Example, the motion sensor times out while HS is booting up. Then the light might stay on for hours or even days if you're away.

" IF Motion Sensor Transmits an OFF Command

OR IF Lamp Has Been ON for Exactly 2 Hours
              Then Set Device Lamp to OFF "

Comment

You could also write an event just using the motion on trigger. For example, If the motion is sensed, then cancel previous device actions for the light, then set the light on and then set a delayed off for the light for 5 minutes.
                If you ever use a trigger "has been off at least" or similar, you need to prevent the event from retriggering for a certain period of time. You will know there is a problem if you check the log and the event fires every second or more.
                The option "include in powerfailure recovery" can also help keep things in line if there happens to be an HS reboot during the event.

Comment

Working...
                X