Install Report: Doorbird internet connected video doorbell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys does anyone have any idea how I can capture video and or a still image from the device.
    I have it on my local network and I can see it but I can't seem to figure out how to set up an event to save it.

I'm using this.

Http://Userassword@10.10.10.19/bha-api/video.cgi

I can see live video from that link.
    I've been experimenting with using VLC media player command line to try and capture video but it only captures a one second clip even though I have specified it to last for 10 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tommyd75 View Post
      Guys does anyone have any idea how I can capture video and or a still image from the device.
      I have it on my local network and I can see it but I can't seem to figure out how to set up an event to save it.

I'm using this.

I've been experimenting with using VLC media player command line to try and capture video but it only captures a one second clip even though I have specified it to last for 10 seconds.
      Do you any kind of surveillance camera software such as Blue Iris? I use Surveillance Station on my Rackstation and I have been able to add the Doorbird as a camera feed without too much hassle (I used Axis camera as the template since). Once added I can set a recording schedule for the stream and set motion alerts, etc.

You can also type "http://[IP Address]/bha-api/video.cgi?user=[User ID]&pwd=[Password] and see the feed it in any browser which suggests to me that a lot of other video recording/editing software could also record or do a picture grab of the feed.

Not sure what's going on with VLC. It's really more of a player than a recorder. There's probably some open source video recording software on the net that would work better.

FWIW, the API documentation does not include any call for a current image, but it does include one for a historical image stored on the Doorbell:

http://[IP Address]/bha-api/history.cgi?index=[Index #]&user=[User ID]&pwd=[Password]

I have tried to figure out if current image capture is available but just not documented in the API. So far I haven't been able to find it and I suspect it is just not implemented right now. As a result of no image capture being available, I can't use it with the Netcam plugin.

They actually say in the documentation that they have implemented a full RTSP server in the doorbell and currently haven't exposed it via the API but may do so in the future. If they do expose the RTSP server that would solve any issues with things like image capture and would likely may the device much more friendly to 3rd party devices.

I am going to put in a request to Doorbird to add image capture to the API. I dont' think it would be a lot of work given that that they are clearly already doing it to get the image history.

Comment

I am waiting to see about the cloud recording option that the company states should be available in early 2016 before I decide. Everything else looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyd75 View Post

I'm using this.

ffmpeg may be able to do it.

I have a cheap cam that takes a snapshot and 20 seconds of video with these parameters.

-y -rtsp_transport tcp -i "rtsp://192.168.10.121/user=username_password=password_channel=1_stream=0.sdp?real_ stream" -an -t 20 -vcodec copy -crf 23 c:\Cam\latest.mp4 -vframes 1 c:\Cam\latest.png

Regards
          Morten

Comment

Seeing this has piqued my interest as I've wanted to install a camera in my entry but never ran any wiring when building. Doing this would be far simpler. Does anyone know if the Doorbird supports always-on recording using third party recording software such as BlueIris/VLC/Synology SS, etc or only for X seconds after the button is pressed?

Thanks,
            M

Comment

The stream is always available. You can peek in any time even if they haven't pressed the button.
              So you could treat it like a IP camera. That was one the main reasons I chose this over the Ring.com doorbell. With that one it only lets you see it only if someone has pushed the button or if it picked up motion, and that one also only works via Wifi. Doorbird works via Wifi or hardwire. Just wish they had chosen a better name

Comment

Originally posted by manxam View Post
                Seeing this has piqued my interest as I've wanted to install a camera in my entry but never ran any wiring when building. Doing this would be far simpler. Does anyone know if the Doorbird supports always-on recording using third party recording software such as BlueIris/VLC/Synology SS, etc or only for X seconds after the button is pressed?

Thanks,
                M

This is a great write-up on installation and BlueIris integration:

https://m.reddit.com/r/homeautomatio...ensive_review/
                cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by manxam View Post

Thanks,
                  M
                  As that great Reddit writeup shows, you can integrate into BlueIris and I have integrated into Synology Surveillance Station. However there's no easy way to do what you want, i.e. have a set rule that Blue Iris will record for x seconds after a door press.

The easiest way to do approximately that would be to just use the motion sensing recording on BlueIris/SS, however depending on where your doorbell was facing that might result in a lot of false positives (I don't use the motion sensor, but the reddit writeup indicates it is sensitive).

I am not a BlueIris user, but my understanding is that it has an API, so if you wire Doorbird into HS you should theoretically should be able to create a script that fires off a command to blueiris when the doorbird is pressed to start recording at x camera for x seconds.

BTW, when I contacted Doorbird to ask them to consider adding a snapshot capability to the API they told me, in a very polite but firm German way, to remember that the doorbird was not designed to be a security camera. I suspect that there may be some conflicts between their app and the security software if they are both trying to get a video feed at the same time, but haven't confirmed this.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBurn View Post
                    As that great Reddit writeup shows, you can integrate into BlueIris and I have integrated into Synology Surveillance Station. However there's no easy way to do what you want, i.e. have a set rule that Blue Iris will record for x seconds after a door press.

The easiest way to do approximately that would be to just use the motion sensing recording on BlueIris/SS, however depending on where your doorbell was facing that might result in a lot of false positives (I don't use the motion sensor, but the reddit writeup indicates it is sensitive).

I am not a BlueIris user, but my understanding is that it has an API, so if you wire Doorbird into HS you should theoretically should be able to create a script that fires off a command to blueiris when the doorbird is pressed to start recording at x camera for x seconds.

BTW, when I contacted Doorbird to ask them to consider adding a snapshot capability to the API they told me, in a very polite but firm German way, to remember that the doorbird was not designed to be a security camera. I suspect that there may be some conflicts between their app and the security software if they are both trying to get a video feed at the same time, but haven't confirmed this.
                    Blue Iris has excellent motion detection that can be customised in many ways. I have this configured on my front door cam using a mask that covers just the front path, thereby avoiding false triggers from foliage and traffic which are also in the picture. We get very few false positives now that I've tweaked it sufficiently. I also have a 2 second 'make time' configured that starts the saved motion-initiated recording 2 seconds before the trigger. It has the last 2 seconds recorded the whole time and attaches this to the front of the recording from the trigger. When motion is triggered, Blue Iris sends a JSON poke to HS3 that triggers a top level event. A waterfall of other events follow based on multiple conditions, including things like lighting, music (for Halloween / Christmas) and a Doorbell.mp3 that plays on our Sonos speakers.

In your scenario you should be able to get the motion sensing handling recording with the appropriate BI motion mask and trigger configuration and get few false positives. I know that's not exactly what you were asking for, but I think it's a good solution anyway.

BTW. We have floodlights that somewhat face the camera and these coming on/off where initially triggering the BI motion sensor. I added a virtual device that switches on immediately before the lights change state and then off again right after. This is used as a condition for the top-level event that's activated by the JSON command and therefore no more false alerts from that. If only I could figure out how to eliminate unnecessary triggers from my lawn guys !
                    cheeryfool

Comment

If you wire the doorbell to an arduino, you could use that to trigger BI when the doorbell is pressed. There's a post on IPCamTalk

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Comment

I have figured an easy way of having Homeseer save a snapshot when someone rings the doorbell. I have taken the doorbell output from the Doorbird and connected it to Homeseer via a USB input output device I use (Velleman K8055).
                        Then when Homeseer sees that input close it fires an event to take a snapshot and email it to my mobile number as a MMS.
                        The tricky part is to use the Doorbird api link for the last saved image as a webcam on Homeseer using UltraNetcam plugin and adding the Doorbird as a local IP camera. I used this URL as the "snapshot" link in the settings.

/bha-api/history.cgi?index=1

It will save the most recent image the device has taken which should be the one you need.

Comment

Doorbird

Your install looks great! I just finished mine up and the most difficult part was the few hours of chiseling brick and fishing the cat 6 cable. My video looks just like yours, a bit fish-eyed, but okay. I am noticing the trees, bushes, or ?? cause the motion sensor to trip. How about yours? I guess I don't know how to rotate pictures.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TodClaytor View Post
                            Your install looks great! I just finished mine up and the most difficult part was the few hours of chiseling brick and fishing the cat 6 cable. My video looks just like yours, a bit fish-eyed, but okay. I am noticing the trees, bushes, or ?? cause the motion sensor to trip. How about yours? I guess I don't know how to rotate pictures.
                            Your install looks great as well and actually looks like a lot more work than mine was. Congrats on getting is flush in the brick with such a crisp cut-out. That doorbell isn't going anywhere! If I tried that there would be chips everywhere.

I don't use the motion sensor but even if I did, mine faces a wall mostly so I probably wouldn't have much of an issue. I would read the article linked in post #22 as that guy was using the motion sensor and was trying to work arounds (although I think he was using BlueIris software for the motion sensing).

Comment

Thanks Bill. very informative. i researched the available door cams and I liked Doorbird the best for its flexibility to tie into my Elk and HS options. Also the camera is always on, so i can integrate it with my ip nvr system.
                              HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Glad it was helpful! Let us know how the install goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X