www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HS3 / HS3PRO > HS3/PRO Beta Releases

HS3/PRO Beta Releases Discussion area for the beta releases of HomeSeer HS3 and HS3PRO software

Old June 11th, 2018, 01:33 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

You are correct, thanks, I fixed the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTM View Post
Is the word 'not' missing from the sentence?
As in: Plugins should not be dependent on other plugins.

website | products | support | youtube
Old June 12th, 2018, 04:39 AM
OverSeer

So... HomeSeer has issues on Windows 10 with the 1803 update. FYI.
At least with my setup.

The first day is HS running on Windows 10 with 1803 installed (started around June 9, 11 AM). The second day (starting at June 10, approx. 3PM or 15:00) is HomeSeer 3 with the exact same software solutions installed (HS3, plugins, OneDrive, any other software like Belkin Network USB, StartupDelayerk, etc, etc).

The two virtual machines are "exactly" the same, just that one is running Win10 1803 update and the other is running Win7. They run on the same ESXi setup with the same datastore, and the same hardware configuration. Before the 1803 update Windows 10 behaved like the Windows 7 version:
  • Thread count is stable (average = 211-215 threads)
  • Memory usage is stableized after a few hours (average = 148 MB)
  • CPU usage usually averages around 11%

The difference is huge.

HSPro 3.0.0.435, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!
Old June 12th, 2018, 08:22 AM
OverSeer

Curious whether you have integrated use of Cortana with the update of Windows 10 to version 1803 (Redstone)?

Windows 8.1 embedded seems is working fine but still like Windows 7 embedded more.

Just configured a new laptop with current version of Windows 10 Professional 64 bit using voice prompts and it worked fine. Maybe shutting off Cortana might help some.

Here doing voice on HS3 Pro machine running Linux via an Oracle Virtual Box configured with SAPI and multiple instances of speaker dot exe; kind of a hodgepodge of OS's on the base Ubuntu machine.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT
Old June 12th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Seer Deluxe

.445 has been running ok on my server 2012 R2 box. Handles have been steady at around 1300 and CPU usage has been low. Memory seems a little high but has not seemed to increase over time.

My issues is the following errors started in the log each hour about the same time and I am having trouble trying to figure out what is causing them:

Jun-12 12:03:01 Error BuildDeviceVoiceCommands error (1), Object reference not set to an instance of an object., Scheduler
Jun-12 12:03:01 Error BuildDeviceVoiceCommands error (1), Object reference not set to an instance of an object., Scheduler

It is always six errors and always around 3 minutes after the hour.

This only started when I moved to .445.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Michael
Old June 12th, 2018, 03:26 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Might be something with the config of one of your devices, does not look important so I have removed the message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobee View Post
.445 has been running ok on my server 2012 R2 box. Handles have been steady at around 1300 and CPU usage has been low. Memory seems a little high but has not seemed to increase over time.

My issues is the following errors started in the log each hour about the same time and I am having trouble trying to figure out what is causing them:

It is always six errors and always around 3 minutes after the hour.

This only started when I moved to .445.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Michael
Old June 13th, 2018, 05:18 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Curious whether you have integrated use of Cortana with the update of Windows 10 to version 1803 (Redstone)?
[...]
Just configured a new laptop with current version of Windows 10 Professional 64 bit using voice prompts and it worked fine. Maybe shutting off Cortana might help some.
Is this speculation...?
I can't see how HS3 should interere more with Cortana now.
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:24 AM
OverSeer

I can't see how HS3 should interere more with Cortana now.

It is the other way around. Windows 10 is more a cloud based application these days.

Everything done or running on a Windows 10 desktop / laptop interacts with Microsoft making Microsoft Windows 10 the ultimate experience.
Old June 13th, 2018, 08:01 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Everything done or running on a Windows 10 desktop / laptop interacts with Microsoft making Microsoft Windows 10 the ultimate experience.
Yeah, but Cortana causing the thread and memory issues for HS3.exe is a bit extreme, though.

I love the 1803 update on my desktop and on my Surface. And the other VMs running Windows 10 are behaving just fine. It's just HomeSeer that's acting up.
Old June 13th, 2018, 08:09 AM
OverSeer

Way back here did a custom Windows 10 lite installation tweaking it not to chatter on the internet. Over time all my modes were reversed.

There is a custom Windows 10 lite version ISO out there in internetlandia with is very similar to Windows 8.1 embedded. Maybe give that one a try.

Or maybe try Homeseer 3 on Linux. Microsoft owns Mono now.

Here on the HS3 Pro machine running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit with concurrent Microsoft Virtual boxes for SAPI (and have tried other Microsoft only plugins) not having any issues of utilization.
Old June 13th, 2018, 08:21 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Or maybe try Homeseer 3 on Linux. Microsoft owns Mono now.
Scripting support on Linux is still too weak for that.

No, my conclusion is that it's either HomeSeer or Windows 10 1803 who is acting up.
It could be either. Or both.
Old June 13th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
[I]
lol, "Making Windows 10 the ultimate experience" They should get David Carradine to be their spokesperson, ...Oh wait.
Old June 13th, 2018, 08:44 AM
OverSeer

All I can say is try the installation of Windows 10 Pro Redstone version using only Cortana. Ask her anything while installing....
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:38 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

I would let it run and see if memory eventually comes down. .NET can act strange and not clean up memory as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskus View Post
Scripting support on Linux is still too weak for that.

No, my conclusion is that it's either HomeSeer or Windows 10 1803 who is acting up.
It could be either. Or both.
Old June 13th, 2018, 11:14 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
I would let it run and see if memory eventually comes down. .NET can act strange and not clean up memory as expected.
I tried. That didn't happen.
In every case, roughly after 40-48 hours after a reboot, HomeSeer would run out of memory (according to the error messages in the log) and begin to malfunction.

The ONLY change was the update from Windows version 1709 to 1803.
Old June 13th, 2018, 11:30 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

I know you won't believe me, but I bet Windows is in a bad state, some system files or registry entries are changed. I would love to see you simply move your HS folder to another system and see if it acts the same. Do you have another PC, or laptop that you could test it on?

Quote:
In every case, roughly after 40-48 hours after a reboot, HomeSeer would run out of memory (according to the error messages in the log) and begin to malfunction.

Old June 13th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Seer Master

Quote:

Did you let 1803 finish patching itself? It seems to take a while after the initial install to reach update stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.318) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
I know you won't believe me, but I bet Windows is in a bad state, some system files or registry entries are changed. I would love to see you simply move your HS folder to another system and see if it acts the same. Do you have another PC, or laptop that you could test it on?

This mirrors my experience with 1803. Having talked to several computer repair folks about my issues with 1803, they had a lot of computers in for repair that were in bad shape. Each had their own 1803 war stories to share, with their own take (and little consensus) on the real problem.

My opinion is that a fresh install of W10 is the only way out of the mess. At least, it was the only thing that worked for me..... YMMV.

Enabled Plug-Ins:
2.0.57.0: BLBackup | 3.0.16.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.2.5.0: Device History | 3.0.3.10: MeiHarmony Hub | 3.0.0.48 Easy Trigger | 3.0.1.90: PHLocation | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.87: weatherXML | 3.0.1.210: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrichar View Post
Did you let 1803 finish patching itself? It seems to take a while after the initial install to reach update stability.

This is an extremely interesting notion and a behavior with which I am not familiar. It might, however, explain the behavior of my computer. 1803 would update "successfully" and run normally for a few hours and then, attended or not, it would crash with a black screen and spinning cursor. It was a repeatable condition, which could not be solved by a repair or rollback, only by a fresh install.....
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Seer Master

Folks, the choice is stark but a reality. An allegiance to Windows or a working HS3. It's been stated time and time again here. Windows is heading to the cloud.

Using two different variants of Linux on two different boards and no real problems for months.

If your favourite plugin cannot adapt to the world of Linux maybe it's time you found an alternative.
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Super Seer

People on these boards have trouble with both windows and Linux, while most have working reliable systems on either. Your posting portrays to be fact what is only your opinion.