Nighttime event firing at 12 noon?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nighttime event firing at 12 noon?!

Can anyone explain to this HS newbie why this event fired just now when a door was opened?

Mar-30 12:04:37 PM Z-Wave Device: Downstairs Porch Porch Light Set to 98
    Mar-30 12:04:37 PM Z-Wave Device: Downstairs Porch Front Door Light Set to 98
    Mar-30 12:04:37 PM Z-Wave Device: Downstairs Garage Garage Door Light Set to 98
    Mar-30 12:04:37 PM Device Control Device: Downstairs Porch Porch Light to Dim 98% (98)
    Mar-30 12:04:37 PM Device Control Device: Downstairs Porch Front Door Light to Dim 98% (98)
    Mar-30 12:04:37 PM Device Control Device: Downstairs Garage Garage Door Light to Dim 98% (98)
    Mar-30 12:04:37 PM Event Event Trigger "Lights Porch Lights Motion/Door"
    Mar-30 12:04:37 PM Z-Wave Device: Downstairs Entryway Door Lock Set to Unlocked
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JoeT; March 30, 2018, 11:12 AM. Reason: Adding log

Originally posted by JoeT View Post
    Can anyone explain to this HS newbie why this event fired just now when a door was opened?
    I think you need an "AND IF" with each IF

Comment

@NetworkGuy is correct. Everytime you start an "Or If", you are starting a new set of triggers/conditions.

There are Triggers (fired when something becomes true) and Conditions (checked if they are true at the moment when the Trigger they are attached to is fired).

The initial "IF" and each additional "OR IF" is a trigger. When one of these are true, it will then check the "AND IF"s directly under it to see if they are true. These are the conditions.

In your case you need the last "AND IF" on every IF above it. This is why when you create a new "OR IF" the UI adds a space between it and the grouping above it.

Comment

Look at this thread for a more thorough explanation.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Crap.

I also found this thread: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=177032

This is unfortunate and overly cumbersome. If I wanted it to work the way it does (rather than the way I intended), I would have created multiple events. There should be a way to specify the nested logic; i.e:

If (time is between sunset and sunrise AND (trigger OR trigger OR trigger)) THEN Do this; do that; do the other thing

In any case, are these saved as text or XML for easier editing?

Comment

Crap.

I also found this thread: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=177032

This is unfortunate and overly cumbersome. If I wanted it to work the way it does (rather than the way I intended), I would have created multiple events. There should be a way to specify the nested logic; i.e:

If (time is between sunset and sunrise AND (trigger OR trigger OR trigger)) THEN Do this; do that; do the other thing

In any case, are these saved as text or XML for easier editing?
            They are saved as database blobs. There is no way to edit them outside of the Event Management page.

There have been a number of discussions about how HomeSeer Event logic should work using several different approaches. While the Event Engine logic is different than most programing languages, there are good reasons why HomeSeer works the way it does and good reasons why it differs from a programming language. I don't have a problem with how it currently works. It functions reliably and once the logic is understood, even a complex group of nested Events can be constructed easily and quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              They are saved as database blobs. There is no way to edit them outside of the Event Management page.

There have been a number of discussions about how HomeSeer Event logic should work using several different approaches. While the Event Engine logic is different than most programing languages, there are good reasons why HomeSeer works the way it does and good reasons why it differs from a programming language. I don't have a problem with how it currently works. It functions reliably and once the logic is understood, even a complex group of nested Events can be constructed easily and quickly.
              Crap again.

Got some examples of complex nested events that I can eyeball, perchance?

Thanks.

Comment

Crap again.

Got some examples of complex nested events that I can eyeball, perchance?

Thanks.
                Look at this thread for an example of a triggering Event, using three triggers, to launch a second Event, which in turn launches 18 different Events. Only one of the 18 will be valid based on the Conditions applied. The first and second events could be a single Event, I broke it up for illustration. This is an example of IF, THEN, ELSE using nested Events.

This method allows you to use common Trigger(s) for multiple Conditional paths. Instead of a hierarchy of conditions within an Event with multiple Action paths, it chains off to additional Events, each with their own conditions and Actions. Instead of a structure within a single Event, it is a structure of multiple Events within a group.

Organization of Events makes it a lot easier to manage. I have over 100 Event groups containing a total of 1500 Events and it takes less than a minute to find and tweak an Event that needs improvement. Most of my Events have not been touched since they were created.

Since I wrote that thread, my Events have grown some to accommodate a change in occupancy mode (Home, Away, Vacation), adding a Virtual Device for daytime setbacks and to add some more granularity to scheduling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1196064
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1196062

Comment