Multi-zoned heating questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-zoned heating questions

I'm a little confused about thermostats---I want to split my exisitng heating system to multiple zones --- it's really silly to heat the entire downstairs, when 3/4 of it is empty most of the time!! I understand what I need to do with ducting and a barometric bypass and, most likely, an additional return (the existing return is at one end of the house; there probably should be a second one at the other end). but I am a little confused about thermostats and zone controllers. so please bear with my stupid questions.

1. The HAI RC90B says it has the O and B wires for multi-zone. but everything I read says that O and B are for heat pump systems. So for a standard forced air (heat only) does the cheaper RC80B do what I need? Or are the O and the B simply a way to get the on/off status to two different places (the furnace and a controller or Homeseer sensor)?
    2. Do I need a zone controller? Or can I control the dampers from Homeseer by reading the thermostat status and driving relays directly from Homeseer?
    3. If the answer to number 2 is that I could do either, which approach do people recommend? Why?
    4. Without a zone controller (obviously depending on the answer to #2), can you simply wire together the wires from the thermostats? Or do the 'call' wires need to be isolated from each other?

Thanks for any advice,
    Pete

Pete

Take a look at this website http://www.resconsys.com/products/zonepanels/index.htm

RCS zone controllers are perfect for zoned HVAC system and it ends up being cheaper per zone than buying individual communicating thermostats. There is HS plugin for RCS system and you may consider installing the outside air damper for whole house venting that can be also controlled by RCS system. I have had 6-zone controller for over 3 years and this is one of the best automation things I have in the house.

Comment

Working...
    X