Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just based on what I've been investigating the last couple of days, the links are stored in the devices. Like you said, HS doesn't have to be running for a KPL to turn on a light or a fan. I think all of the links that show in the plugin as being controlled by HomeSeer are just links to the PLM which enables HomeSeer to send or receive messages to/from those devices.

In the Insteon.ini file, it looks like the plugin stores a copy of the links so it doesn't have to query every device when you open up the device page. It also does the same thing for the op flags and settings, so they can get out of sync and you might have to check for new links or reread the links and settings from the device.

Your idea is useful though. I see what Mark is saying about if he disables the link then that link could basically be overridden if you added another link. I guess that means the device hands out the link IDs and Mark can't control that.

However, Mark, what if "disabling" the link essentially means that you delete it from the devices but you keep it cached in the .ini file without an ID so that from HomeSeer's perspective the data is still there but inactive? Then if somebody wanted to re-enable it and the old ID was taken, you would still have all of the link addresses and values to just create a new copy of the old link. Would that possibly work?

Speaking of link IDs, I think I noticed when I was working earlier today that in v1.7.2.5 if I check multiple links to delete, sometimes it either deletes the wrong link or deletes additional links. I didn't get a log of it happening, but once I deleted links 14, 15, 16, 17 then on my KPL, link 13 also got deleted. Then I did it again, and link 12 got deleted. If I deleted them one at a time in descending order, then that didn't happen.

Comment

Hmmm . . . maybe the answer might be a simple log of deleted links, filterable by date/time or something? The link could actually be deleted and if you wanted to, you could go back and recreate from the list of deleted links? Instead of a "suspend" function, have a "recreate" function of sorts. If you went into this kind of thing with the knowledge that you're still just deleting a link and simply having a log of old deleted links that you could recreate just as if you were creating a brand new one . . . It would be up to the user to understand that if any links had been created in between the deletion/recreation of older links that the system might be more convoluted than when you started . . .

Ah, I don't know . . .The old programmer in me remembers how difficult it became to keep track of versions once too many historical references had been saved. I'm starting to think that what I'm proposing might be more headache than it's worth. Perhaps if you could have a user defined time of how long the old links were kept in a log before they were wiped? (i.e. set it up so deleted link logs older than xx/xx/xxxx are automatically deleted) Geez, even as I type this, it sounds like I'm suggesting something pretty specific for not too much gain . . . I just thought this would be a neat trouble shooting tool in the beginning . . .

-Dave

Comment

Originally posted by aviatordave View Post
        Hmmm . . . maybe the answer might be a simple log of deleted links, filterable by date/time or something? The link could actually be deleted and if you wanted to, you could go back and recreate from the list of deleted links? Instead of a "suspend" function, have a "recreate" function of sorts. If you went into this kind of thing with the knowledge that you're still just deleting a link and simply having a log of old deleted links that you could recreate just as if you were creating a brand new one . . . It would be up to the user to understand that if any links had been created in between the deletion/recreation of older links that the system might be more convoluted than when you started . . .

Ah, I don't know . . .The old programmer in me remembers how difficult it became to keep track of versions once too many historical references had been saved. I'm starting to think that what I'm proposing might be more headache than it's worth. Perhaps if you could have a user defined time of how long the old links were kept in a log before they were wiped? (i.e. set it up so deleted link logs older than xx/xx/xxxx are automatically deleted) Geez, even as I type this, it sounds like I'm suggesting something pretty specific for not too much gain . . . I just thought this would be a neat trouble shooting tool in the beginning . . .

-Dave
        Dave, I realize all the link creation in the beginning is a little overwhelming but once you get things setup, you won't mess with links all that much.

I probably won't mess with the link management features unless there is an obvious bug in the system.

Thanks for your thoughts
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by jdntx View Post
          Just based on what I've been investigating the last couple of days, the links are stored in the devices. Like you said, HS doesn't have to be running for a KPL to turn on a light or a fan. I think all of the links that show in the plugin as being controlled by HomeSeer are just links to the PLM which enables HomeSeer to send or receive messages to/from those devices.

In the Insteon.ini file, it looks like the plugin stores a copy of the links so it doesn't have to query every device when you open up the device page. It also does the same thing for the op flags and settings, so they can get out of sync and you might have to check for new links or reread the links and settings from the device.

Your idea is useful though. I see what Mark is saying about if he disables the link then that link could basically be overridden if you added another link. I guess that means the device hands out the link IDs and Mark can't control that.

However, Mark, what if "disabling" the link essentially means that you delete it from the devices but you keep it cached in the .ini file without an ID so that from HomeSeer's perspective the data is still there but inactive? Then if somebody wanted to re-enable it and the old ID was taken, you would still have all of the link addresses and values to just create a new copy of the old link. Would that possibly work?

Speaking of link IDs, I think I noticed when I was working earlier today that in v1.7.2.5 if I check multiple links to delete, sometimes it either deletes the wrong link or deletes additional links. I didn't get a log of it happening, but once I deleted links 14, 15, 16, 17 then on my KPL, link 13 also got deleted. Then I did it again, and link 12 got deleted. If I deleted them one at a time in descending order, then that didn't happen.
          jdntx

if this happens again, please reread the links and settings and see what comes back. sometimes the device responds that it deleted the link when it actually didn't. not much i can do about this situation

please make a post on the beta thread if you have a similar issue.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark,

I think I do probably see that writing on the wall. I've got some things finally set up and running the way I want them and don't go back to the links, looking at it in retrospect. I just ordered another truckload of stuff from Smarthome so I think I'm reliving the growing pains of my initial setup days. I think I'll have some experience to tackle things with this time though. (Due in no small part to the help I get from you and others here!)

-Dave

Comment

Plugin Enhancement - Functionality Request

Mark,

I have a plugin enhancement request.

Would it be possible to allow us the ability to change the text of a device string? As an example, I have a SwitchLink that currently reports either "On" or "Off". If I was using it for a door monitor I would want it to say "Open" or "Closed". In my case, I'm actually using it to monitor my Oil Burner and I would like the Device String to be "Off" or "Running". With regular Homeseer devices you are able to use custom device strings. The Insteon devices currently cannot be changed.

Thanks again for a great Plugin,

Comment

Originally posted by jpape View Post
                Mark,

I have a plugin enhancement request.

Would it be possible to allow us the ability to change the text of a device string? As an example, I have a SwitchLink that currently reports either "On" or "Off". If I was using it for a door monitor I would want it to say "Open" or "Closed". In my case, I'm actually using it to monitor my Oil Burner and I would like the Device String to be "Off" or "Running". With regular Homeseer devices you are able to use custom device strings. The Insteon devices currently cannot be changed.

Thanks again for a great Plugin,
                jpape,
                have you tried using hs.devicevaluesadd to setup your custom strings?

numerical value 0 can be Off and value 100 can be Running. The latest plugin should not override your values once set.

this is an alternate option to the devicestring feature
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Additional Device Support request

Are there plans to add support for the SwitchLinc 2-Wire Dimmer (RF only)?

It comes up as "Device Type 0124" in the type field.

Thanks.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by greg631 View Post
                    Are there plans to add support for the SwitchLinc 2-Wire Dimmer (RF only)?

It comes up as "Device Type 0124" in the type field.

Thanks.

Greg
                    Its supported in the latest betas
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks!

Installed latest Beta. Type is now correct, but protocol (still) shows Unknown.

Comment

Never Mind... Selected the device, and now when I look at the list, it shows ... i2CS.

Comment

Mark, I've gotten to the point I don't really look into each device regularly. I went through mine recently and found 4 or 5 Link change warnings. I had no indication to look. Here is the request:

Do you know this information when you build the manage devices page? If so, could it be indicated next to devices that are in this state on the manage devices page? An idea is to use a different icon in link column when this warning is applicable. The link behavior probably shouldn't change, my next stop would be to see what the link info said to spot problems.
                          Paul

Comment

I'm on a roll ..Is it possible to allow the test communications function work for externally registered devices? Probably they wont fit / work on the manage devices page, but possible they get a page of their own? or could be in a table on manage devices page below the plugin managed devices list, and the fields you can't support (type, firmware, poll interval, protocol) have N/A headers or N/A in their cells.
                            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
                              Mark, I've gotten to the point I don't really look into each device regularly. I went through mine recently and found 4 or 5 Link change warnings. I had no indication to look. Here is the request:

Do you know this information when you build the manage devices page? If so, could it be indicated next to devices that are in this state on the manage devices page? An idea is to use a different icon in link column when this warning is applicable. The link behavior probably shouldn't change, my next stop would be to see what the link info said to spot problems.
                              can you post the msg that you are referring to from the device edit page
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Mark, its this one:

Warning: The links for this device have changed since you last downloaded the link table. Please use the 'Read Device Links and Settings' to refresh the link table.
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X