• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Mark.

I'll give that a try.

Comment

Replace Device Feature Suggestion

I do a fair amount of device replacements that upgrade from say a switchlink dimmer to a dual band, or a dimmer, to a keypad link. It would be great if there was a "do the best you can" option in the replace device script. I.e. don't cancel if the device is not a one for one part, if you are moving from an on/off to a dimmer, set all links as 100%, etc. as it stands now, to install a keypad link to replace a dimmer, you have to make a bunch of manual changes to get things back.

Just a thought, not sure how useful it would be to others.

Comment

Small request

Hi Mark,
        Would it be possible to add old access points to show up on the device list. It would be great to know how they are doing and if they are functioning properly.

Thanks,
        Aldo

Comment

What's an 'old' AP? Please post a devicetype (the four digit number) that is displayed when you attempt to register the device
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark, I think aldo means these: 2442
            Paul

Comment

Ok. Thanks. i found the device type

Easy enough, look for it in the next version i post.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
              Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
              Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
              Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Correct, thanks. Looking forward to the next release.

Aldo

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                  I do a fair amount of device replacements that upgrade from say a switchlink dimmer to a dual band, or a dimmer, to a keypad link. It would be great if there was a "do the best you can" option in the replace device script. I.e. don't cancel if the device is not a one for one part, if you are moving from an on/off to a dimmer, set all links as 100%, etc. as it stands now, to install a keypad link to replace a dimmer, you have to make a bunch of manual changes to get things back.

Just a thought, not sure how useful it would be to others.
                  Drake, i'm working on this now, but want to keep it simple/flexible. How about logic that check that you are swapping a dimmer for a dimmer, a relay for a relay, etc. The downside is if you swap a switchlinc dimmer for an old lamplinc dimmer, there will be problems with the links. But at least you won't lose the hs devices or the registration in the plugin.

Obviously you would need to confirm all the links afterwards, but i think its working for the most part.

I had a surge during a storm a few weeks ago and find myself now needing to swap a bunch of devices that don't match exactly. Mosting swaping i1 switches for newer i2 switchlincs. but also a few lamplincs.

I think i'll leave it to the user to resolve any link issues after the swap.

what do you think
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I like the idea of a warning pre-swap that it may not be an exact match and a "do your best" or "cancel" option.

I replace Icons w/ Switchlincs, or Switchlincs w/ high load Switchlincs, etc and this will really help.

Comment

Mark, I'm guessing that there are several classes of devices with different configuration parameters: Most inline links have the same parameters, switchlincs dimmers do, switchlinc relay, lamplinc, etc.

Would it be difficult to create the 5 - 6 superset template devices for those kind of devices and offer those for the swap to pick from? If my older device doesnt support every tweak of the template device, its on me to know that.... basically older devices won't know about new features and ignore attempts to tweak it.

What do you think about that?
                      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
                        Mark, I'm guessing that there are several classes of devices with different configuration parameters: Most inline links have the same parameters, switchlincs dimmers do, switchlinc relay, lamplinc, etc.

Would it be difficult to create the 5 - 6 superset template devices for those kind of devices and offer those for the swap to pick from? If my older device doesnt support every tweak of the template device, its on me to know that.... basically older devices won't know about new features and ignore attempts to tweak it.

What do you think about that?
                        Paul,

I think i'm going to keep this simple and just transfer the links. I may not even bother with settings and op flags unless the two devices are an exact match. There are just too many device types even with the switchlinc family to ensure compatibility when it comes to programming the settings.
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                          Paul,

I think i'm going to keep this simple and just transfer the links. I may not even bother with settings and op flags unless the two devices are an exact match. There are just too many device types even with the switchlinc family to ensure compatibility when it comes to programming the settings.
                          Ok. Thanks as always for considering input here.

Paul
                          Paul

Comment

Hi Mark,

I have two ideas that I'd like to see in the plug-in:

1) Set up an ability to disable links between devices without actually deleting them. When I find myself setting up new rooms as I expand my network, because I'm still kind of new at all this, I would find it to be quite handy to be able to disable a link but not make it go away from the list of links and simply re-enabling it if needed. I know it's easy to think in terms of simply recreating a link but if I've deleted a couple or more links thinking that it will solve whatever mess I'm trying to clean up and find out that the desired results weren't what I had hoped for, it would be nice to be able to just restore what I had removed by, say, unchecking a box for a link in a checkbox column labeled "Suspend" or something like that. More of a problem solving tool for getting initial installations and/or configuration changes made.

2) Add the ability to replicate a device. For instance: I plan on adding a couple of 8 keypadlincs to either end of a large room to make it convenient to perform the same functions from two different locations. Setting up all the links for one keypadlinc and then being able to copy those settings to the second keypadlinc would save me a lot of programming time. Now, you may already have this functionality built in with the "Replace this Device" button . . . the way the description reads, I get the impression that if a device goes bad and you replace it, this is what you would use to copy over all the links. I Haven't had cause to use this feature yet but am wondering if I can use it to my purposes described here . . . to copy settings without having the new copied device replace the existing device the settings were copied from.

Hopefully these don't seem like silly requests. Like I said, I'm still new to a lot of this.

-Dave

Comment

Originally posted by aviatordave View Post
                              Hi Mark,

I have two ideas that I'd like to see in the plug-in:

1) Set up an ability to disable links between devices without actually deleting them. When I find myself setting up new rooms as I expand my network, because I'm still kind of new at all this, I would find it to be quite handy to be able to disable a link but not make it go away from the list of links and simply re-enabling it if needed. I know it's easy to think in terms of simply recreating a link but if I've deleted a couple or more links thinking that it will solve whatever mess I'm trying to clean up and find out that the desired results weren't what I had hoped for, it would be nice to be able to just restore what I had removed by, say, unchecking a box for a link in a checkbox column labeled "Suspend" or something like that. More of a problem solving tool for getting initial installations and/or configuration changes made.

2) Add the ability to replicate a device. For instance: I plan on adding a couple of 8 keypadlincs to either end of a large room to make it convenient to perform the same functions from two different locations. Setting up all the links for one keypadlinc and then being able to copy those settings to the second keypadlinc would save me a lot of programming time. Now, you may already have this functionality built in with the "Replace this Device" button . . . the way the description reads, I get the impression that if a device goes bad and you replace it, this is what you would use to copy over all the links. I Haven't had cause to use this feature yet but am wondering if I can use it to my purposes described here . . . to copy settings without having the new copied device replace the existing device the settings were copied from.

Hopefully these don't seem like silly requests. Like I said, I'm still new to a lot of this.

-Dave

Dave,
                              thanks for the suggestions

#1 really isn't possible. While there is a used/unused bit on the links in the devices I couldn't use this to disable/enable. If I set disabled/unused on a link and then someone manually creates a link, the device would use the first unused link space it found, which would basically overwrite the previous link i just set as disabled.

#2, is a good idea and i have had others request it, I'll add it to the list.
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

1) I completely get it. While I'm a fairly new user to HA, HS and Insteon, I'm a fairly computer savvy person so I see why this suggestion of mine wouldn't work after reading your explanation of how the link programming works. Just out of curiosity, is this file information stored on the HD of the computer that HS runs on or does it exist in some kind of flash memory in the Insteon device itself? Seems like it would be in the device itself since Insteon can work without HS . . .

2) Thanks!

-Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X