HS3 and X10 nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by palli View Post
    I too have had problems with the X10-CM11 plugin, but have found by process of elimination that the connection from the PC to the interface, in my case XTB-232, is very fickle. I tried a number of cables/adaptors before I found one that was stable.
    Sorry for the delayed reply.
    I am using Windows 10 Pro.
    Eventually got a Prolific setup to be stable and its been ok for some weeks.
    About to try Edgeport to see how that reacts.

Comment

Originally posted by mhiles View Post
      Is there an easy way to see what X1) traffic I have on the line? My X10 switch LEDs do seem to blink a lot occasionally.

Mike
      You could use a XTBM, it is very good for monitoring what is going on on the line.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
        Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the additional details on the issues - it is helpful to understand the larger picture.

The fact that you are having isssues controlling zwave devices in addition to X10 devices definitely points to something other than the X10 plugin.

A few questions:
        1. Have you checked the CPU utilization to see if your system is overloaded when the issues occur?
        2. Have you checked your Windows event logs for any application or system errors?
        3. Is it possible that your hard drive (or SSD) is having problems?
        4. Is the issue intermittent or continuous?
        5. What version of HS are you running?

I also agree with Pete that a good place to start is to disable all of your installed plugins, then enable just the X10 plugin and see how it reacts in each of the situations you mentioned: time/manually triggered events, device change events, control from web, etc. If it's ok then enable zWave and test each again. Be methodical and go through the same test steps each time and write down the results. This will help to see any irregularities and hopefully find the point where things begin to fall apart.

I know this is frustrating but hang in there, we'll do what we can to help get you through this!!
        Will give this a go this weekend
        sigpic
        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Was this issue ever resolved?

Gordon, did you get your X10 working reliably? Best I can tell my problems are the same as you describe and it is really killing the whole WAF!

Any help out there?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mhiles View Post
            Gordon, did you get your X10 working reliably? Best I can tell my problems are the same as you describe and it is really killing the whole WAF!

Any help out there?

Mike
            No never solved 100% although disabling a couple of plugins has made it more reliable.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
              Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the additional details on the issues - it is helpful to understand the larger picture.

The fact that you are having isssues controlling zwave devices in addition to X10 devices definitely points to something other than the X10 plugin.

A few questions:
              1. Have you checked the CPU utilization to see if your system is overloaded when the issues occur?
              2. Have you checked your Windows event logs for any application or system errors?
              3. Is it possible that your hard drive (or SSD) is having problems?
              4. Is the issue intermittent or continuous?
              5. What version of HS are you running?

I also agree with Pete that a good place to start is to disable all of your installed plugins, then enable just the X10 plugin and see how it reacts in each of the situations you mentioned: time/manually triggered events, device change events, control from web, etc. If it's ok then enable zWave and test each again. Be methodical and go through the same test steps each time and write down the results. This will help to see any irregularities and hopefully find the point where things begin to fall apart.

I know this is frustrating but hang in there, we'll do what we can to help get you through this!!
              Originally posted by Gogs View Post
              Will give this a go this weekend
              Hi Gordon, were you ever able to run the above tests? What were the results?
              Best regards,
              -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
              Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                No never solved 100% although disabling a couple of plugins has made it more reliable.
                Guessing you using the Foxcom Atom D525 with 4 GB of memory and XP and Homeseer 3.

Are you running other software on the same computer?

Weather station software? Maybe move software off of the PC?

Guessing your drive cache is set to 2gb of memory? Set it to 4gb.

You can switch you SATA drive to an SSD drive for a bit more speed.

or

Update your motherboard to a new Atom based one.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

So disappointed issue not fixed

I recently purchased a top quality USB to RS232 adapter hoping to fix this issue. No luck. Still getting CM11A communication errors galore.

Yes, I tried all the troubleshooting issues listed here to no avail. As is, my X10 is going down the tubes and my XTB-IIR appears to be a waste. Bummer.

Mike

Comment

@Mike

Are you running HS3 in Linux or Windows?

Curious about your use of the XTB-IIR TW-523 emulator.

Are you plugging in the CM11A to the power connector in front to boost the CM11A signal?

Here still using the orginal XTB single phase amplifier for the CM11A connections/digi Edgeport and the XTB-IIR for the Leviton OmniPro panel X10- TW-523 connection.

I still have a couple of Ocelots here and wondering now if the HS3 Ocelot plugin still works with the TW-523 / XTB-IIR.

I have my XTB-IIR plugged in to two separate circuits / phases and breakers here. What firmware chips do you have inside of your XTB-IIR?

Here too have left the old X10 repeater bridge in place mostly because it would be a PITA to remove.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thank you for your interest, Pete.

I run HS3 in Windows 10. It's on a PC I built years ago but still runs great.

I'm plugging the RS232 adapter into a dedicated USB 3.0 PCIe card, then to the CM11A which is plugged into the outlet of the XTB-IIR. (I've heard rumblings that plugging the CM11A into the XTB-IIR might not be a good idea, but I don't have other options I'm aware of.)

Does the Ocelot work? Maybe I should buy one from you. My WAF is not good at the moment!

Mike

Comment

@Mike

You got me testing current version of X10 plugin with the Linux HS3Pro box connected to the Digi Edgeport which connects to the CM11A which is plugged in to the the original XTB amplifier.

Found one of two Ocelots that I have and will test that one with a TW-523 and XTB-IIR

For a bit here have been remoting the X10 plug in running on my old Zee-2 which is now a sort of Z-Net.

I compared the response time to the HAI plugin communicating to the OP2 which talks to the XTB-IIR to the X10 test device (an X10 chime device).

I set the timing for the CM11A to 300.

Test #1 HS3 Pro (Linux) ==> Digi Edgeport ==> CM11A plugged in to an original XTB

Response times were slow and this is what I see in the logs.

Mar-09 1:21:39 AM Device Control Device: X10 X10-A X10-A1-Chime to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                        Threadpool worker
                        Mar-09 1:21:39 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Sending: 4 66 Size: 2
                        Mar-09 1:21:39 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Got checksum: 6A
                        Mar-09 1:21:39 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Checksum OK, sending 0
                        Mar-09 1:21:42 AM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
                        Mar-09 1:21:46 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Got ack of: 55
                        Mar-09 1:21:46 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Sending: 6 62 Size: 2
                        Mar-09 1:21:46 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Got checksum: 68
                        Mar-09 1:21:46 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Checksum OK, sending 0
                        Mar-09 1:21:49 AM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
                        Mar-09 1:21:51 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Got ack of: 55

Took 7 seconds to hear chime. Wondering if everybody using a CM11A is seeing the same warning messages?

Test #2 Heyu on HS3 Pro box (Linux) ==> Digi Edgeport ==> CM11A plugged in wall power socket. Still slow.

heyu# ./test.sh
                        Thu Mar 9 01:14:50 CST 2017
                        Version:2.11-rc2
                        Searching for '/root/.heyu/x10config'
                        Searching for '/usr/local/etc/heyu/x10.conf'
                        Found configuration file '/usr/local/etc/heyu/x10.conf'
                        Heyu directory /usr/local/etc/heyu/ is writable.
                        Reading Heyu configuration file '/usr/local/etc/heyu/x10.conf'
                        lockpid: Checking for file '/usr/local/var/lock/LCK..heyu.write.ttyUSB0'
                        Trying to lock (/usr/local/var/lock/LCK..heyu.write.ttyUSB0)
                        /usr/local/var/lock/LCK..heyu.write.ttyUSB0 is locked
                        Alert acks are 0x52, 0x12, 0x42
                        lockpid: Checking for file '/usr/local/var/lock/LCK..heyu.relay.ttyUSB0'
                        lockpid: Checking for file '/usr/local/var/lock/LCK..heyu.relay.ttyUSB0'
                        There was already a relay running (pid = 12444)
                        Sending address bytes: 04 66

xwrite() called, count=2
                        xread() called, count=1, timeout = 1
                        xread() returning 1 byte(s). The first is 0x6a
                        Checksum confirmed
                        xwrite() called, count=1
                        xread() called, count=1, timeout = 10
                        xread() returning 1 byte(s). The first is 0x55
                        Interface is ready.
                        Sending command bytes: 06 62
                        xwrite() called, count=2
                        xread() called, count=1, timeout = 1
                        xread() returning 1 byte(s). The first is 0x68
                        Checksum confirmed
                        xwrite() called, count=1
                        xread() called, count=1, timeout = 10
                        xread() returning 1 byte(s). The first is 0x55
                        Interface is ready.
                        Transmission OK
                        munlock: Unlink file '/usr/local/var/lock/LCK..heyu.write.ttyUSB0'
                        Thu Mar 9 01:14:53 CST 2017

It took 3 seconds to hear chime.

Googling about the slowness of the CM11A found this post dated 09/27/1999. Here I have some 5-6 CM11A's very old ones and newer ones.

Earlier CM11As polled the host after receiving the address and again after
                        receiving the function. The total time for a whole command was about 0.8
                        seconds.

With the newer version of the CM11A (made in the past year or so), it takes
                        about 1.5-2 seconds for the CM11A to notify the host that it has received a
                        whole command (address & function). If you send multiple commands, the delay
                        can be even longer. It appears to be waiting for some certain period of
                        silence before it polls the host.

Found the Ocelot. Connected it to port #2 on Edgeport. Will give the Ocelot plugin a try.

Test #3 Ocelot / Ocelot plugin on HS3 Pro box (Linux) ==> Digi Edgeport ==> TW523 plugged in to XTB-IIR
                        May also test running CMAX on Oracle Wintel VB on Linux HS3 Pro box.

Mar-09 1:49:38 AM Info Plugin GTS CPUXA has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:54424
                        Mar-09 1:49:38 AM GTS CPUXA GTS CPUXA Plug-in, Version 3.5.16105.96
                        Mar-09 1:49:38 AM GTS CPUXA Initializing Ocelot on port /dev/ttyUSB1
                        Mar-09 1:49:38 AM GTS CPUXA HSPI_GTS_CPUXA, Discovered Ocelot/Leopard -- Firmware/Rom Vers: 8.31/58 -- App Vers: 3.18
                        Mar-09 1:49:39 AM GTS CPUXA Ocelot/Leopard has 1024 IR locations
                        Mar-09 1:49:39 AM GTS CPUXA Ocelot/Leopard is set to scan 2 max IR locations for IR match
                        Mar-09 1:49:41 AM GTS CPUXA This is the first time this plugin has been loaded, use the GTS CPUXA link on the PLUG-INS/Manage page to configure
                        Mar-09 1:49:41 AM GTS CPUXA Adding CPUXA Variables to hspi_gts_cpuxa.ini
                        Mar-09 1:49:41 AM GTS CPUXA Adding CPUXA IO to hspi_gts_cpuxa.ini
                        Mar-09 1:49:41 AM GTS CPUXA Adding CPUXA IR to hspi_gts_cpuxa.ini
                        Mar-09 1:49:41 AM GTS CPUXA AutoIO has been set to ON
                        Mar-09 1:49:42 AM GTS CPUXA Adding CPUXA Timers to hspi_gts_cpuxa.ini
                        Mar-09 1:49:43 AM GTS CPUXA Adding CPUXA Bobcats to hspi_gts_cpuxa.ini
                        Mar-09 1:49:43 AM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in GTS CPUXA

Mar-09 1:53:27 AM Device Control Device: GTS CPUXA X10 X10 A1 to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                        Mar-09 1:53:27 AM GTS CPUXA X10 Appliance Module A1 has been set to On
                        Mar-09 1:53:28 AM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
                        Mar-09 1:53:31 AM Device Control Device: GTS CPUXA X10 X10 A1 to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

Mar-09 1:53:31 AM GTS CPUXA X10 Appliance Module A1 has been set to Off
                        Mar-09 1:53:34 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Got ack of: 55
                        Mar-09 1:58:49 AM Device Control Device: GTS CPUXA X10 X10 A1 to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                        Mar-09 1:58:49 AM GTS CPUXA X10 Appliance Module A1 has been set to On
                        Mar-09 1:58:52 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Upload byte count: 3
                        Mar-09 1:58:52 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Upload Data: 2 Time: 7132.432

Took less than a second to hear the chime. Very fast. Same speed as the OmniPro2 turning on the A1 chime.

Next looking for an older CM11A to see if it is different.
                        Last edited by Pete; March 9, 2017, 03:09 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Very interesting stuff, Pete. It seems all combos get some errors, though. Why is that?

Mike

Comment

Mike,
                            Glad Pete is on this. I'm really curious since I've not had problems with X-10 and HS3, once I got the RS232/USB cable worked out. I'm still heavy on X-10 and plan to stay that way.

And I'm also running HSPi in my garage with a CM11a without any problems.

Barry

Comment

It seems all combos get some errors, though. Why is that?

I have no idea as I never paid attention to the timing and using the CM11A on Linux. Always used the Digi Edgeports here when running HS2 and now for HS3 except for the RPi stuff where I use a usb to rs-232 cable(s) for UPB and X10.

It seemed a bit faster with the first Zee / Linux build way back. I still use X10 here and had switched the HS3 Pro / Lite box to using the OmniPro plugin. I have / had a CM11A connected to the Zoneminder box and RPi2 in the attic. Thinking it was perl there and it was fast.

Remoting the plugin / CM11A from the RPi2 (running Z-Wave) never noticed a delay or even checked.

Here only have CM11A's, TW523's, original XTB amp and the XTB-IIR. I have been using the CM11A's for other linux stuff / testing over the last couple of years.

Testing though with the Ocelot and TW523 and XTB-IIR is the fastest for me so probably will switch to that methodology for the Christmas lighting. I use an old palm pad outside with the W800 to test the lighting and it works great.

Noticed that the CM11A receiving of the TW-523 X10 command was kind of slow too.

BTW here use the x10 chimes with the Omnitouch dings (and HSTouch tabletops if using sound on them) rather than speech for after midnight outdoor zone alarms...one if by land two if by sea...basically had divided the outdoor stuff by 4 quadrants or just NSEW directions from home out replacing the chatty kathy stuff...only had issues with Coyotes and teens at 3 AM roaming the small neighborhood.

Looking for my box o X10 stuff where the older CM11A's might be.

@Barry, what was the issue you had with the USB to RS-232 cable and CM11A?
                              Last edited by Pete; March 9, 2017, 10:05 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Did another CM11A test with a single USB to serial cable (same type that I am using with the RPi's).

Mar-09 9:22:34 AM Device Control Device: X10 X10-A X10-A1-Chime to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                                Mar-09 9:22:34 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Sending: 4 66 Size: 2
                                Mar-09 9:22:34 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Got checksum: 6A
                                Mar-09 9:22:34 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Checksum OK, sending 0
                                Mar-09 9:22:36 AM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
                                Mar-09 9:22:43 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Got ack of: 55
                                Mar-09 9:22:43 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Sending: 6 62 Size: 2
                                Mar-09 9:22:43 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Got checksum: 68
                                Mar-09 9:22:43 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Checksum OK, sending 0
                                Mar-09 9:22:45 AM X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
                                Mar-09 9:22:52 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A Got ack of: 55

Searching old Google X10 groups there was a mention of CM11A serial problems and an update to the firmware on the CM11A that involved a bit of hardware tweaking. Jeff Volp was involved in those discussions back in 2000. Homeseer was also mentioned in the posts. The issues related to timing and the pic chip. Jeff used a new PIC chip and fixed the timing issues with his stuff.

I used the CM11A with first Homeseer run in the late 1990's. I put the Homeseer box in the attic of a two story home and ran a serial cable down to the basement where I had the CM11A plugged in next to the fuse panel at the time. X10 lights worked fine but I never paid attention to the timing. I did also purchase a TI-103 when first introduced by HS in the 2000's. I had issues with it and returned it for a refund.

Way back at the end of the HS2 I tested the CM11A using windows portmon / last HS2 X10 plugin and did see errors in the serial com which I posted here on the forum. Thinking I tested earlier HS2 X10 plugins and didn't see the com errors.

Homeseer update fixes many problems but not the clock, since that is
                                probably related to the CM11A. You should try it to verify... The
                                latest Homeseer version is 1.4.12, If you upgraded to from 1.2 to 1.4,
                                you would probably need to get the OCX fix file that is on the web site.
                                Run it first and the 1.4 version installs fine.

Reading on the HeyU website also see this relating to USB to serial devices:

Q: I'm using a USB-Serial adapter and when I try to send a Heyu command
                                from the command line I get the message "RI serial line may be stuck"
                                after a long delay.

A: This is a problem with some adapters using an older Prolific chip.
                                The workaround is to put the directive 'CHECK_RI_LINE NO' in your
                                Heyu configuration file.

The first OmniPro panel used a TW523 as did the Ocelot. HAI also sold a dual TW523 configuration for two phase connectivity at the time.

Curious why Homeseer never developed a plugin for the TW523 way back?
                                Last edited by Pete; March 9, 2017, 10:59 AM.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X