How can I view more/older pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In HS2 Netcam I could view 500 pictures over several sessions of picture taking, and even more pictures by going to the //html/netcam folder.
    In HS3, it appears Netcam only allows me to view pictures from the most recent session.
    Is that because the Netcam HS3 folder (//html/netcam) is getting purged of older pictures? Does anyone know where they go? Is there a way to have the pictures stay in the Netcam viewer longer?

I don't know what you mean by "most recent session". My HS3 HTML/Netcam folder contains images from all of December 2016 and Jan 2017.
    I'm not sure what happens to older images. There may be a setting somewhere. You may want to make a monthly/weekly backup of the html/Netcam directory.

The Netcam plugin for HS3 is extremely limited, almost useless! I use Netcam Studio (free for a single camera). It works very well and can be fully integrated with HS3 via JSON commands.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Thanks Steve O.
      I also run Netcam Studio to view my cameras live, outside of Homeseer 3. Do you point your Netcam Studio to a Homeseer library? Or do you have Netcam Studio take and store the pictures? If the latter, how do you trigger Netcam studio to take the pictures from Homeseer?

Comment

It is a bit complicated because of the NetCam studio security protocol. Here is the immediate script I use to tell NetCam Studio to capture an image on camera 1.

[/CODE]http://192.168.1.98:8124/JSON/CapturePicture?sourceID=1&authToken=f4e90647-acb4-4265-a659-a227deafd780[/CODE]

You need to go to the NetCam Studio web page and learn about the authorization token. I spent a lot of time learning about this process. It's complicated but it works with HS3.

My NetCam Studio stores the pictures in its own directory. I did not change this. I use the NetCam studio iPhone/iPad app to view the pictures.

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

So, if I understand correctly, you have a script that you run on HS3 that uses an authentication token to log into Netcam Studio and tells netcam studio to take a picture and store it in the Netcam Studio library. Do I have that right?

If so, I could presumably run that script once/second for 30 seconds to take a series of pictures.

Also, would you be able to tell me how to turn the script file you posted into a HS3 action? I know how to run script files in the scripts folder, but not how to call what appears to be a url.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
            So, if I understand correctly, you have a script that you run on HS3 that uses an authentication token to log into Netcam Studio and tells netcam studio to take a picture and store it in the Netcam Studio library. Do I have that right?

If so, I could presumably run that script once/second for 30 seconds to take a series of pictures.

Also, would you be able to tell me how to turn the script file you posted into a HS3 action? I know how to run script files in the scripts folder, but not how to call what appears to be a url.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Part 1 - yes

Part 2 - yes, but once per second may not be achieved. Once every 2 or 3 seconds is more realistic.

Part 3 - here is an event that I use to take pictures with each camera at noon.

The first action is expanded so you can see how the immediate script is run.

Steve Q

Comment

Jono, I am still experimenting with HS3 control of NetCam Studio. I have several events that send me an email of a NetCam Studio photo based on an HS3 trigger. For example, when the door bell is pressed, my front door camera takes a picture and HS3 emails it to me. This seems to work, but I rarely have someone ring the doorbell.

Steve Q

Comment

Thanks Steve Q. I look forward to trying this.
                I still don't know why HS3 netcam doesn't store pictures like HS2 netcam, but Netcam Studio might be a viable solution.
                I'd be interested in your Netcam Studio email methods as well if you have the time to post them. Thanks much

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                  In HS2 Netcam I could view 500 pictures over several sessions of picture taking, and even more pictures by going to the //html/netcam folder.
                  In HS3, it appears Netcam only allows me to view pictures from the most recent session.
                  Is that because the Netcam HS3 folder (//html/netcam) is getting purged of older pictures? Does anyone know where they go? Is there a way to have the pictures stay in the Netcam viewer longer?
                  Just a follow up on this. I was able to find a Netcam ini file in the config folder. It can be modified to allow the Netcam folder to hold a lot more pictures before purging them. Each camera listed in the ini has a MaxImages setting (need to restart HS3 to place changes into effect). I don't know where the images go after they are purged from the folder. They don't end up in the recycle bin.
                  Last edited by jono; February 10, 2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I have revisited my NetCam setup in HS3. I turned on the plugin (it has been off since June 2017). My events still work. I still have images in my html/netcam folder from June 2017.

The max images setting in the netcam.ini file is the number of images displayed on the "netcam view" page. It is not the number of stored images. Mine is set at 30.

I have hundreds of images in my netcam folder. I never really used Netcam very much. It looks like all of my captures are still in the folder.

Steve Q

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                      I am still experimenting with HS3 control of NetCam Studio. I have several events that send me an email of a NetCam Studio photo based on an HS3 trigger. For example, when the door bell is pressed, my front door camera takes a picture and HS3 emails it to me. This seems to work, but I rarely have someone ring the doorbell.
                      Hey Steve, I am NetCam Studio user; been so since the WebcamXP days. Can you explain your process for sending an email w/photo triggered by HS3 event?
                      Larry

Comment

Originally posted by lpcalcaterra View Post
                        Hey Steve, I am NetCam Studio user; been so since the WebcamXP days. Can you explain your process for sending an email w/photo triggered by HS3 event?

I use several approaches.
                        1. At the same time each day, I snap a photo with each camera. For example, at 1:15 PM each day, I capture an image from my front porch cam. I then use the NetCam Studio app on my mobile device to see if any packages have been delivered.
                        2. At 12:45 PM, I capture a photo with the camera pointed toward my house. I then email it to myself. I use this as a simple way to know that HS3 is up, NetCam Studio is running, the internet is up, and what the weather is doing.
                        3. I have a motion sensor on the back door that triggers an event to capture a photo and email it to myself. I have stopped using this because it would occasionally send hundreds of emails typically due to rain or snow. I now just use approach #1.
                        4. Email the most recent motion capture from the driveway camera. This approach uses an HS3 event to search through the motion capture file (photos only, not video) to find the most recent photo. It then creates a copy of that photo and emails it.

Attached is a sample event that sends the email.

I wrote a vbscript that searches through the NetCam Studio library file. This is a custom script based on my camera IP addresses and their camera number. If you have written some scripts and would like to use it as an example to write your own version, I can email it to you. Send me a private message.

See post #6 of this thread for the JSON commands to tell NetCam Studio to take photos.

Steve Q

Comment

Thanks Steve, PM sent. I am more of a script reader/modifier than an actual writer.
                          Larry

Comment

Ok, Larry. The easiest way to send yourself an email is via the NetCam HS3 plugin. Although it is woefully lacking in other areas, it is easy to get HS3 to capture a photo and send it to you. In the NetCam plugin, the most recent photo is always stored as "currentimage.jpg". Just attach that file to your email.

I will be glad to help if you need it.

Steve Q

Comment

Working...
                            X