www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Media Plug-ins > Media Discussion > SqueezeBox Plug-In (3P)

SqueezeBox Plug-In (3P) Discussion area for the SqueezeBox plug-in by PCP.

Old February 4th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Seer Deluxe

Your MP3 worked, WAV didn't

The mp3 you dropped in worked. I was able to access it via the TuneIn function in LMS server. The WAV didn't. It played one time in what sounded like a tape recorder in fast forward, then didn't play again. I then switched it back to pointing at the MP3 and it worked fine again. Not sure what is different about the way TTS is creating the TTS on your system versus mine.
Old February 4th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcp View Post
Did any of you had a chance to try the above mp3 files, and check the wav/mp3 files generated in your setup (which is voice dependent)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
See above post about testing the files you dropped in.

I just updated to your newest version. Now, I can't even send it commands via the Immediate Script Command window. When I type:

&hs.Speak "hello, test, test, one, two, three", False, hometroller:*

I now get:

Feb-04 13:50:02 Error Running script(2) &hs.Speak "hello, test, test, one, two, three", False, hometroller:*, init error: Syntax error
Feb-04 13:50:02 System Control Panel Immediate Script: &hs.Speak "hello, test, test, one, two, three", False, hometroller:*

Also, I DO NOT SEE MY CLIENTS in the speech client selection box in the events, nor do I see anything in your "SqueezeBox Plugin Speech" menu.

I can not send anything to any squeezebox clients, nor will it now create any mp3 or wav files in the C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\Squeezebox directory.

This is getting pretty tiresome for a paid for plug in. Again, the Sonos plug in was up and working in 5 minutes. This really needs to be fixed and the documentation fixed of the typos in the script examples sections. Coding isn't horse shoes or hand grenades. There is no "close enough". It is either correct and works, or it's wrong and it doesn't. If you are creating a new syntax for us to learn, no problem; but the examples need to be correct or updated to be correct for whatever release you are on.

I am using an official HomeSeer HS6 appliance (read: not cheap). All marketed plugins via HomeSeer's market place are required to work with the official HomeTrollers HS sells. This is the HS policy for plug in vendors. I shouldn't need to go and download anything else or rely on any OS hooks that aren't automatically part of the OS in HS6. If there is anything your PI needs to work on the HS6, then it needs to be included with your PI or have extremely clear directions of what is needed to be installed before making a purchase. I don't want a refund, I just want the plug in to work. Some clients don't want to invest in Sonos, and there are some things that Squeezebox can do that Sonos can't. Let's get this going and resolved.

Thank you,
Raymond
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhardcore View Post
The mp3 you dropped in worked. I was able to access it via the TuneIn function in LMS server. The WAV didn't. It played one time in what sounded like a tape recorder in fast forward, then didn't play again. I then switched it back to pointing at the MP3 and it worked fine again. Not sure what is different about the way TTS is creating the TTS on your system versus mine.

The difference most likely is related to the voice you are using compared to the one I am. different voices use different sampling frequencies. Have you compared the details (sampling, etc ) of mp3 files generated in your system with the values i posted in a prior post ? Which voice are you using?

The plugin is using the hs.speaktofile script function to generate the wav file which is then converted to an mp3 file using the lame program. The function hs.speaktofile uses a voice to generate the text. Way back i ran into an issue with the tts over t he phone where it would not work with some voices.

As far as the wav file, i ran into similar problems and is a lms isue. I recall i had to change some lms settings for the type of media it should suport. I don't recall details.

Old February 6th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
See above post about testing the files you dropped in.

I just updated to your newest version. Now, I can't even send it commands via the Immediate Script Command window. When I type:

I now get:

Feb-04 13:50:02 Error Running script(2) &hs.Speak "hello, test, test, one, two, three", False, hometroller:*, init error: Syntax error
Feb-04 13:50:02 System Control Panel Immediate Script: &hs.Speak "hello, test, test, one, two, three", False, hometroller:*

Also, I DO NOT SEE MY CLIENTS in the speech client selection box in the events, nor do I see anything in your "SqueezeBox Plugin Speech" menu.

I can not send anything to any squeezebox clients, nor will it now create any mp3 or wav files in the C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\Squeezebox directory.

This is getting pretty tiresome for a paid for plug in. Again, the Sonos plug in was up and working in 5 minutes. This really needs to be fixed and the documentation fixed of the typos in the script examples sections. Coding isn't horse shoes or hand grenades. There is no "close enough". It is either correct and works, or it's wrong and it doesn't. If you are creating a new syntax for us to learn, no problem; but the examples need to be correct or updated to be correct for whatever release you are on.

I am using an official HomeSeer HS6 appliance (read: not cheap). All marketed plugins via HomeSeer's market place are required to work with the official HomeTrollers HS sells. This is the HS policy for plug in vendors. I shouldn't need to go and download anything else or rely on any OS hooks that aren't automatically part of the OS in HS6. If there is anything your PI needs to work on the HS6, then it needs to be included with your PI or have extremely clear directions of what is needed to be installed before making a purchase. I don't want a refund, I just want the plug in to work. Some clients don't want to invest in Sonos, and there are some things that Squeezebox can do that Sonos can't. Let's get this going and resolved.

Thank you,
Raymond

Do you players in the plugin status page? Can you control a player from devices for example stop, pause playing? The speech page will only show content (besides headers) if any text to be spoken is pending.

Old February 6th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
The difference most likely is related to the voice you are using compared to the one I am. different voices use different sampling frequencies. Have you compared the details (sampling, etc ) of mp3 files generated in your system with the values i posted in a prior post ? Which voice are you using?

The plugin is using the hs.speaktofile script function to generate the wav file which is then converted to an mp3 file using the lame program. The function hs.speaktofile uses a voice to generate the text. Way back i ran into an issue with the tts over t he phone where it would not work with some voices.

As far as the wav file, i ran into similar problems and is a lms isue. I recall i had to change some lms settings for the type of media it should suport. I don't recall details.
Thanks for responding. Interesting points. You have an option in your menus to specify the voice to use. I presume that is the voice from the system voices on the system running the HS3 an SB PI. What is the syntax for specifying this voice? Also, I can't look at the output files because the TTS function now will not run. No files are generated, so there is nothing to look at unfortunately.

I have two options in system speech properties:

IVONA 2 Salli OEM - US English female voice [22kHz]
and
Microsoft Anna - English (United States)
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
The speech page will only show content (besides headers) if any text to be spoken is pending.
I think I remember reading that now; the queue goes there.

I can control the players well. Selection of the LMS items when dropping the media player onto a page in HSTouch never results in anything being populated, but I can control them inside the HS3 web interface. I can also control them fine from individual buttons in HSTouch that I create and link back to the HS3 PI device properties. I hope all that makes sense.
Old February 7th, 2016, 12:20 AM
Super Seer

Is the tts speech proxy enabled in the plugin? Can you post a picture of the tts configuration in the plugin?

The voice string in the plugin should be the same as you select in the speaker.exe. Which one of the two is the default and used in the speaker.exe client?

Old February 7th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Thanks for responding. Interesting points. You have an option in your menus to specify the voice to use. I presume that is the voice from the system voices on the system running the HS3 an SB PI. What is the syntax for specifying this voice? Also, I can't look at the output files because the TTS function now will not run. No files are generated, so there is nothing to look at unfortunately.

I have two options in system speech properties:

IVONA 2 Salli OEM - US English female voice [22kHz]
and
Microsoft Anna - English (United States)
As in prior post, the plugin uses the HS3 script command speakToFIle and in the plugin configuration "TTS Voice" you specify the voice to use. See the documentation for behavior if none is specified and how to specify one:
https://homeseer.com/support/homeseer...file&criteria=
Old February 7th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
As in prior post, the plugin uses the HS3 script command speakToFIle and in the plugin configuration "TTS Voice" you specify the voice to use. See the documentation for behavior if none is specified and how to specify one:
https://homeseer.com/support/homeseer...file&criteria=
Thank you. That's helpful. How do I specify the target client to stream to? Should I go by the name that appears for the client in the squeezebox controller, - Livingroom
Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 11.57.41 AM.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  35.9 KB

the instance name from the status page, - Player_000000000000
Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 11.58.56 AM.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  32.0 KB

or the name that exists for the device that was created? - Player 1 Name
Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 12.04.04 PM.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  29.0 KB

I am thinking it is probably the first one. Is that right?
Old February 9th, 2016, 01:16 AM
Super Seer

What is the context of thequestion? Is it for the speaktofile script function or something else? The scrip api does not stream, it just creates a file for the text to be spoken. If you want to access the file via an url, as long as it is in the html directory, you can access it via the hs3 url. Can you describe ina few words what you attempt to achieve?

Old February 9th, 2016, 01:40 AM
Super Seer

I am confused by this as I can control everything with the plugin for music but can't have voice pushed, even when doing LMS:client name. I am not sure how the frequency can affect this but not music. Can you explain better as to why you think this isn't working for me?
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehead99 View Post
I am confused by this as I can control everything with the plugin for music but can't have voice pushed, even when doing LMS:client name. I am not sure how the frequency can affect this but not music. Can you explain better as to why you think this isn't working for me?

The thread in this post is about the speech not playing properly on lms under certain conditions. I believe this is related to the mp3 file created for some voices and when streamed to lms it does not support/recognize that format. Per tests above it works with an lms recognizable mo3 file (when streamed). Open question is what voice (and its characteristics) are used by the users when it does not work.

The question about 'voice pushed' might be a different. Can you provide an example of what you use to 'voice pushed'. Is it an action, script, other? What is the speech volume setting for the pplYer where you want to play the TTS? Also what are the TTs settings of the plugin? Screenshots would do.

Old February 9th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
The thread in this post is about the speech not playing properly on lms under certain conditions. I believe this is related to the mp3 file created for some voices and when streamed to lms it does not support/recognize that format. Per tests above it works with an lms recognizable mo3 file (when streamed). Open question is what voice (and its characteristics) are used by the users when it does not work.

The question about 'voice pushed' might be a different. Can you provide an example of what you use to 'voice pushed'. Is it an action, script, other? What is the speech volume setting for the pplYer where you want to play the TTS? Also what are the TTs settings of the plugin? Screenshots would do.

Maybe I am still confused, but I thought everyone on this thread was having the same problem as me. Creating an HS event for Speak and using LMS:Client Name as the device to speak the alert is not working. You see that the client tries (music stops and you see the MP3 created), but no speech is ever heard.

Is this not the issue everyone has been discussing on this thread??
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
You see that the client tries (music stops and you see the MP3 created), but no speech is ever heard.

Is this not the issue everyone has been discussing on this thread??
With this info yes it is the same. Have you tried streaming the mp3 file I posted earlier? Which voice are you using (and do you have others to try)? Can you check the characteristics of the wav & mp3 file and how it compares to what I showed in dialog #19? Thanks
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Agreed. This is the same issue I have always had with this plug in. This has been the case whether I have used the built-in voice for MS Windows or the extra 22KHz voice from IVONA.

It will create a file that the web page in HS3 for this plug in shows is being played by the client. However, no audio is actually played by the client. After some time, the client goes back to playing whatever else it was playing.

I don't want to run or create scripts to have the PI execute the event's speak-to function. This is why I purchase specialized plugins. With limited time, I need turnkey functionality.

What I've noticed is that in the event configuration, where you specify a specific client, I never see any of the streaming clients listed. The only time I have ever been able to get the PI to try to send something to the clients is to ham fist the command script in to the command console as described in earlier posts as a troubleshooting exercise.

What do I want in simple terms?
1. Accurate documentation without any syntax errors in the script examples that will work.
AND/OR
2. Click through functionality that just works with a stock setup that doesn't require any tweaking or documentation.

I am happy to help with getting this to work as much as I can, but I have a pretty stock set up here when it comes to any OS configurations. It is an official HS6 Hometroller from HS. I've already purchased two copies of this PI specifically for the TTS. Neither works, and I am apparently not alone.

I can't get any support or answers to my questions, so I can't really help troubleshoot. The following will be around the fourth time I have asked the following:

I now get:

What is a character by character example of a script that should work given the information I have posted? I have yet to have an answer to this. Don't cite your documentation, please. I have already shown that it has errors in the script examples.

Thank you,
Raymond
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:04 PM
OverSeer

Quote:

Code:
Hi Raymond,

The syntax for the hs.speak command is documented in the HS Help File:

https://homeseer.com/support/homeseer...edia_speak.htm.

So for your example, it should be:

Code:
&hs.Speak "hello, test, test, one, two, three", False, "hometroller:*"
For the LMS plugin to speak, you need to specify the Speech Client name that you have configured under the Squeezebox Plugin - Configuration - Speak Proxy plugin. If you have that set as hometoller then the command above should speak through the plugin (barring any other issues). If you have that field configured with something else, then you need so substitute hometroller with that. For events, only HS Speaker Clients will show up in the list. For speech clients that are configured using other speech proxies such as the Squeezebox plugin, you need to manually type them in using the same syntax for the client as in the hs.speak command.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Al
UltraGCIR GC-100|UltraNetcam|UltraPioneer|Ultra1Wire|DSC PC1832|BLLED|BLTVGuide|ImperiHome|jon00 Utilities|MySensors

PHLocation|X10 CM11A IOLinc,etc
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman View Post
For events, only HS Speaker Clients will show up in the list. For speech clients that are configured using other speech proxies such as the Squeezebox plugin, you need to manually type them in using the same syntax for the client as in the hs.speak command.
Thank you very much for the reply. Interesting. So, if I don't specify anything, HS3 will play through all the 'normal' (read: non-PI instantiated) speech clients. If I do the advanced option, I can add the particular LMS client. This is very different than what is described in the PI official support documentation, hence my confusion:

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 98
Size:  86.1 KB

I was really hoping for the functionality called out in the first line his table. Is that not possible with how HS3 works?

Also, I just thought of something. In my case, before this plug in I already had speech clients populated in the "Edit Speaker Client list" menu like:

hometroller:IPHONE
hometroller:OFFICE 1
etc.

Now, if I specified the SB PI for the living room in this dialog box it would look like:

hometroller:living room

How does HS3 know that "living room" exists as an extension of the PI and isn't just a currently not visible 'normal' speech client of HS3? How does it know the difference? Does the LMS server instance need to have a different name than the HS3 instance?

Thanks!
Raymond
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:46 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Thank you very much for the reply. Interesting. So, if I don't specify anything, HS3 will play through all the 'normal' (read: non-PI instantiated) speech clients. If I do the advanced option, I can add the particular LMS client. This is very different than what is described in the PI official support documentation, hence my confusion:

I was really hoping for the functionality called out in the first line his table. Is that not possible with how HS3 works?

Also, I just thought of something. In my case, before this plug in I already had speech clients populated in the "Edit Speaker Client list" menu like:

hometroller:IPHONE
hometroller:OFFICE 1
etc.

Now, if I specified the SB PI for the living room in this dialog box it would look like:

hometroller:living room

How does HS3 know that "living room" exists as an extension of the PI and isn't just a currently not visible 'normal' speech client of HS3? How does it know the difference? Does the LMS server instance need to have a different name than the HS3 instance?

Thanks!
Raymond
It does work the way the table shows, but looks like the quotations are missing around the speech clients. I would try changing the squeezebox speech proxy name to something else as a test. It probably does confuse the system if your regular speech clients are named the same. Try it using "LMS" or something like that.

Cheers
Al
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Seer Deluxe

So just so I am clear...
If the SB PI is configured correctly, and everything is working as intended, then not selecting any particular clients in the event should have all the built in 'normal' clients as well as those existing via the SB PI speaking the TTS?

Thanks,
Raymond
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:03 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
So just so I am clear...
If the SB PI is configured correctly, and everything is working as intended, then not selecting any particular clients in the event should have all the built in 'normal' clients as well as those existing via the SB PI speaking the TTS?

Thanks,
Raymond
Hi Raymond, that is my understanding, but I don't have any regular speaker clients setup, so can't test it myself. If it doesn't work, you could try manually adding *:* to the speech clients in the event.

Cheers
Al