HVAC & Irrigation Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC & Irrigation Control

I've been looking into home automation for a few months now. I currently do not have any home automation however need a new thermostat - thus the hunt began. Any suggestions for a quality communicating tstat that can accomodate zone control and operate as a stand alone. Some units I've seen (HAI's RC-90, Aprilaire,RC). My current direction was to eventually purchase HAI's Omni Pro however I am unsure if that is the best route. Any irrigation controller recommendation would also be appriciated.

jlevee

Have a search on RCS TX15B or RCS TX16B. I have used 2 for years with no problems.

As far as sprinkler controls goes try this site:

http://www.wgldesigns.com/rain8pc.html
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp could the link you provided be used to control the water in my bath tub.

Id like to be on my way home and call in for my bath water to get started. Was wondering if this would work for that?

Can you control the duration and amount water that the sprinkler put out. If this wont do it do you know of any devices that will?

Comment

I see that the web site also contains a rain sensor product. I would assume you could place the rain sensor at your required fill line and that would turn off your water.

Comment

I have three of the Rain8s (and will add a fourth soon) and I love them. I had a Rainbird controller before (which worked well) but I really like being able to control the sprinkler system with HS.

In fact, there is a picture of my Rain8 installation on the WGL Designs web site:

http://www.wgldesigns.com/rain8_installations.html

Comment

jlevee,
            I believe the sensor your are referencing is like a sponge. It will absorb moisture then dry out. It is not really like a moisture level sensor.

I have seen a few soil sensors around the web but have never investigated very far. Some are home brew if that is your leaning.

The mcsControlSystems Homeseer Plugin will handle multizone irrigation control based upon moisture content. Moisture sensors can be used or it will calculate moisture content based upon other environmental data. It will work in a more traditional timed mode with enabling gates for day-of-week, wind level, forecasted rain etc.

The Rain8 is the device I use and I concur that it is a good value.

Comment

Soil Moisture Sensor:

I just added a Davis Instruments wireless soil moisture station to my Davis Vantage Pro weather station. It works well. Virtual Weather Station (VWS) can feed the data to HomeSeer (though there seems to be a data parsing issue that I've asked Ambient Weather to recommend a fix).

Comment

David,

Nice job on that installation!
                Martin Custer

Comment

JohnM
                  I noticed on your site (nice job, btw) that you have a fair sized lawn with beds and some slope and a robomower. I've been toying with getting one but have wondered if the charge will last long enough to mow about 2600 sq. ft. of bermuda and how well they really work.
                  Can I get your experienced opinion on them?

Comment

Will HS work with the RS232 model?
                    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
                    jlevee

Have a search on RCS TX15B or RCS TX16B. I have used 2 for years with no problems.

As far as sprinkler controls goes try this site:

http://www.wgldesigns.com/rain8pc.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

jlevee
                      Sure will.

PS Would you mind updating your profile to indicate where you are from? Thanks
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Profile updated. Lake Oswego OR - Burb of Portland. Thanks for the info. I was somewhat unclear on the RS232 part. Just so we were on the same page it was for the WGLRain8.

Comment

If you do get an HAI Omni (esp the Pro II), it is very easy to make that control your sprinkler system. The OPII has 8 voltage outputs that can be easily hooked up to relays (in fact HAI sells a 4 relay and 8 relay module or you could use ELK relays or something).

This could then enable programs in the OPII itself to automatically control your sprinkler, or you could use the HomeSeer plugin to tell the OPII to do it.

Another approach, which is the one I'm using (I also have an OPII but not using it for irrigation), is to use an ADI Ocelot or Leopard with a SECU16 or RLY8 module. The RLY8 is best as it can directly drive the sprinkler valves. For the SECU16, its relay contacts can't handle the 24v AC at the current, so you'll need to use external relays for these, I'm using cheap ELK relay boards.

I have a program in the Ocelot that controls my irrigation entirely on its own. HomeSeer can see what's going on, and can even override the functionality if desired. I also have a Leopard II that can also show the irrigation status and let me control it, change times, etc.

Its possible to have HomeSeer totally control the Ocelot and SECU16 or RLY8 for irrigation, you don't need a program in the Ocelot to do this. However, I found doing this in the Ocelot is more reliable since I don't have to worry about the PC messing up, or if I reboot the PC I know the Ocelot is still running.

Comment

Brian - Which Elk relay boards are you using? I'm in the process of selecting a sprinkler control and am leaning towards the ADI Ocelot solution over the Rain8. However, I cannot decide between the SECU16 or the RLY8 module as you suggested.

I’ve read that for the RLY8 module you need to add a 40 VAC MOV across the power supply input, install 40 VAC MOV's across the relay inputs and a larger decoupling capacitor directly across the PIC power supply pins. Not really sure how to do all this.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Holy Smokes. The tech talk just flew rapidly over my head. I was leaning toward something I could purchase (rain8) and Homeseer - and with a plug here and an install there - poof. If I add an OPII in the future - great. Is the HA revolution not to a plug and somewhat play status yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X