Can you suggest a remote control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you suggest a remote control?

HI folks, I'm running the Hometroller Zee with a good mix of Z-wave and X-10 devices connected and, for the most part, things are working well.
    I'm gradually migrating from X-10 devices to more Z-wave (limited by budget).

The missing link in my migration is to somehow replace my X-10 remote controls with something that can work with my Hometroller Zee.

We have about 3-4 desktop X-10 controllers that we're used to having at bedside, in family room etc. to control local lights etc. on demand, and then, the best one, at night, from the bedside, hit that "All Off" button and all the lights go out.

Can anyone recommend a comparable device that works with the Hometroller Zee and Z-wave? Basically I just want a wireless device (or several) that enable me to control select devices on command.

I use the HSTouch on my phone and the web browser from my computer and tablet, but I need separate remotes that I can leave in these rooms, simple enough that my non-techie wife can use with ease.

Any suggestions?

We use a number of Aeotec MiniMotes. The link is just a Google search. I looked in the HomeSeer store and don't see them any longer. They work well and with 4 buttons, they offer 8 distinct controls. A short press or a long press of any of the buttons.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

HI Randy, thanks for that lead.
      I just found them at my Canadian source
      https://www.aartech.ca/dsa03202b-zwu...ote-black.html

Going to order one and give it a try to start with.
      It would be a huge win (a.k.a. peace-maker with my wife) if I can get this to replace the X-10 one in the family room, which is hampered by a lousy signal over the power line there.

I will let you know how it goes.
      Cheers!
      -Steven

Comment

Those minimotes look cool.

So if you have, for example 4 HS scenes for your living room/dining room area (various lighting and music combos) can you have the remote that stays in that area programmed to trigger that directly? It appears the HS light switch can trigger HS scenes with special taps...would this have similar capability to tie in?

I'm thinking one in the master bedroom that could trigger "night mode" and "morning mode" for the house as well as some lighting scenes, one for the living area like I mentioned above and maybe one in the basement play area. In addition to a few well placed wall mounted HSTouch units the home would be very flexible.

But I would not want to have multiple control points that each need their own dedicated scene setups...do the work in HS and trigger them is my hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post

So if you have, for example 4 HS scenes for your living room/dining room area (various lighting and music combos) can you have the remote that stays in that area programmed to trigger that directly? It appears the HS light switch can trigger HS scenes with special taps...would this have similar capability to tie in?

I'm thinking one in the master bedroom that could trigger "night mode" and "morning mode" for the house as well as some lighting scenes, one for the living area like I mentioned above and maybe one in the basement play area. In addition to a few well placed wall mounted HSTouch units the home would be very flexible.

But I would not want to have multiple control points that each need their own dedicated scene setups...do the work in HS and trigger them is my hope.
          The MiniMotes create a single device that can be set to one of 8 values - button 1 short press, button 1 long press and the same pairs for the remaining 3 buttons. You can use "the device value is set to..." to trigger events. The events can control a single item, multiple items, set scenes, etc. You are only limited by your imagination. We actually have three values for each button using a timer and counter, giving us single press, double press and long press. With the timer and counter you could even have triple or more presses if you wanted to build the events.

For lights we either have specific lighting scenes tied to buttons or use the button for control of a single light. For straight control we use the same button presses for consistency. The first press of a button when the light is off, turns it on to a default level. each subsequent press steps up through brightness levels. Double presses step down through brightness level. Press and hold turns the light off.

In the master bedroom there is one on each side of the bed with buttons 1 and 2 controlling lights. Button 3 steps through three speeds of the ceiling fan. A long press of button 4 puts the house to sleep, turning off all of the lights, checking doors and windows and shutting of selected power. If any door or window is open we get an voice announcement letting us know which ones. The house goes to sleep automatically at 11:30 on nights before work days and at 12:30 on nights before weekends or days off. We get a voice prompt that the lights will go out in 10 minutes before the automatic "house to sleep" takes place. A press of button 1 on any MiniMote in the house cancels the house to sleep. The house wakes up automatically at different times based on work schedules, day of the week, days off, etc. A long press of button 4 will wake the house up if it is asleep.

We also have some overlap between MiniMote functions and HomeSeer switch "scenes". For those we use IF triggers for the MiniMote and OR IF triggers for the HS switch/dimmer scenes, sharing the actions .
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I also use the ZRC-90US controller. It has the possibility of controlling up to 24 different devices with the 8 buttons. It is also wall mountable.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              The MiniMotes create a single device that can be set to one of 8 values - button 1 short press, button 1 long press and the same pairs for the remaining 3 buttons. You can use "the device value is set to..." to trigger events. The events can control a single item, multiple items, set scenes, etc. You are only limited by your imagination. We actually have three values for each button using a timer and counter, giving us single press, double press and long press. With the timer and counter you could even have triple or more presses if you wanted to build the events.

For lights we either have specific lighting scenes tied to buttons or use the button for control of a single light. For straight control we use the same button presses for consistency. The first press of a button when the light is off, turns it on to a default level. each subsequent press steps up through brightness levels. Double presses step down through brightness level. Press and hold turns the light off.

In the master bedroom there is one on each side of the bed with buttons 1 and 2 controlling lights. Button 3 steps through three speeds of the ceiling fan. A long press of button 4 puts the house to sleep, turning off all of the lights, checking doors and windows and shutting of selected power. If any door or window is open we get an voice announcement letting us know which ones. The house goes to sleep automatically at 11:30 on nights before work days and at 12:30 on nights before weekends or days off. We get a voice prompt that the lights will go out in 10 minutes before the automatic "house to sleep" takes place. A press of button 1 on any MiniMote in the house cancels the house to sleep. The house wakes up automatically at different times based on work schedules, day of the week, days off, etc. A long press of button 4 will wake the house up if it is asleep.

We also have some overlap between MiniMote functions and HomeSeer switch "scenes". For those we use IF triggers for the MiniMote and OR IF triggers for the HS switch/dimmer scenes, sharing the actions .
              Thanks for this detailed comment, your use cases almost made me giddy with ideas. I'm hugely looking forward to trying this out.
              I'm a big fan of time/season/day-of-week etc. dependent use cases - it adds so much flexibility and power to the system.
              I have a wall mounted legacy X-10 3-button switch that I currently do things like that. Before 9:30 pm, the first button is a simple on/off behaviour. But after 9:30, it puts the house into "sleep mode", turning off the ground floor lights, starting furthest away from the stairs, with the last one being the foyer light by the stairs.

When I get the hang of the minimote, it will replace my ancient X-10 tabletop controllers but be more sophisticated, with conditional events.

I love the idea of the voice prompt too. And I'm going to augment that with an override option. If I receive a specific key press in time, it will delay the sleep mode by x minutes etc.

Thanks for sharing your great ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                I also use the ZRC-90US controller. It has the possibility of controlling up to 24 different devices with the 8 buttons. It is also wall mountable.
                Great tip - never seen that device before - but look sleek and interesting - well worth investigating as well.
                Thanks for sharing.
                I have to see if I can get that in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post

Completely agree - I'm not interested in something that requires its own configuration/scenes etc. or having to import all the devices etc. etc.
                  From what I just read here the minimote and the ZRC-90US both seem to be able to simply send a signal trappable by Homeseer which we can then execute centralized events on. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Thanks for the tips and fantastic details. I'm really excited by your experience here. There is so much that can be built into the automation side of HA, but you always need interface points. HSTouch on wall mounted droids is a primary design I'm considering but you obviuosly don't want too many of those things around. Everyone is very comfortable picking up a remote though and if the "rules" are similar for each area that has a remote it will keep things simple.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                      We use a number of Aeotec MiniMotes. The link is just a Google search. I looked in the HomeSeer store and don't see them any longer. They work well and with 4 buttons, they offer 8 distinct controls. A short press or a long press of any of the buttons.
                      Update: I just purchased and installed 2 of these remotes with my Hometroller Zee. The first unit took a few tries to get it loaded properly. The second unit was fine. I am thrilled with their functionality and flexibility and already have 16 events configured for them.

My current fav event is trapping a long press on button 4, and if it's after 9:30pm, I start putting the house in sleep mode and start shutting off the lights, starting with the lowest floor, ending at the bedroom level.

I also have to add that Aeon Labs' tech support has been very responsive to questions about info that was missing from their included product instructions (I.e. charging and expected battery life etc.). FYI, full charge takes 2 hours and light turns blue, and based on 20 presses per day, battery charge lasts 2-3 months!

These devices, working so smoothly with my Hometroller/Z-wave/X-10 mix is going to enable me to fast-track the removal of more X-10 units that were in dead-areas of the house and subject to flakey X-10 signals.
                      Woooohoooo!!!
                      -steve

Comment

Thanks for sharing the experience!!

Comment

Working...
                        X