Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorized Blinds - with pictures.

Hi All

I'm going to be replacing the roman blinds in my bedroom soon (4 of them 29" x 70"). I really want to installed motorized blackout blinds with side channels. I may end up with plain blackouts and a decorative shade in front, so may need to control 8.

I'd prefer a single controller that can control all 4 at once (in perfect sync!).

I want to control from my HomeSeer and/or URC system (MSC-400). I'd prefer a DC motor and control via RS-232 (which I can send from HS or URC). Everything else I have is z-wave, but these don't have to be. I definitely don't want a different RF system or IR (due to layout).

I only really need 3 positions: open, closed, half open

Would prefer to avoid exhorbitant prices of big name brands

Anyone got any suggestions on a controller and blind source?

Regards

Mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
    HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
    2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
    USB UIRT
    Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
    WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
    HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
    2GIG Thermostat
    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
    BLUPS
    UltraLog (SQL2008)
    Jon00 Plugins
    Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
    Global Cache IP2IR
    Foscam FI8918W

i am considering these, http://rollertrol.com/store/en/conte...lar-motors-faq

you could swap the built in RF for the zwave module:
    http://store.homeseer.com/store/x-C192.aspx
    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

I've been using the Rollertrol blinds since July or so with very good results. If you buy the radio ones, you can use the RFXCOM transciever to control them. It is actually pretty easy to setup. I just bought regular blinds at Home Depot and inserted the mini motors inside of the cardboard tube. You will need 12V to the motor or you can use one of the battery/solar options. I just ran wire (actually my wife did the crawling around in the attic) to each window and supplied 12V.

The only trick is to get the half open position. I posted a script (embarrassingly simple one) in the RFX forums about how to setup a timer to get the blinds to go up a distance and then stop.

Rollertrol also has some simple non-radio DC motors. I played around with them and they work fine. The best thing is that you can program the stop points and then just applying forward and reverse voltage runs the motor until the stop point. There are new Insteon mini modules could work as well to control the motors. Or one could go the Z wave route but I think you would need to buy a bit of hardware. There is some stuff about that on the rollertrol pages but I didn't look too close.
      Last edited by ; January 12, 2013, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Will check these out

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
        USB UIRT
        HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
        2GIG Thermostat
        BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
        BLUPS
        UltraLog (SQL2008)
        Jon00 Plugins
        Global Cache IP2IR
        Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Motorized Blinds

Originally posted by acromion View Post
          I've been using the Rollertrol blinds since July or so with very good results. If you buy the radio ones, you can use the RFXCOM transciever to control them. It is actually pretty easy to setup. I just bought regular blinds at Home Depot and inserted the mini motors inside of the cardboard tube.
          I looked on their site but didn't find specific install instructions. How do we go about measuring for shade width when ordering? I had a 72" wide window measured inside the casing. I had planned to order a shade nearly that width.

Do the mounting brackets for this motor take up a lot of space (width) to the point I would order, for example, a 68" wide shade rather than a 70" shade to accommodate the motor mounting brackets?

Thanks!

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The blind motor takes perhaps an extra 1/4 to 1/2 inch in the width. The brackets are very narrow so no problem there. I would order the outside dimensions of the blind to be perhaps 1" narrower than the window casing. That should be plenty of space.

I'm sure if you contact Rollertrol support, they can give you some good advice as well.

Comment

Any of you guys have any pics of your install. A pic is worth ...
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

And three pics is worth?

I was a little messy with the wiring but I plan on adding a valance. If one was a little careful it could be kept out of site. The motor only takes about 1/4".

Anything else you want to see, just let me know.
                Attached Files

Comment

Motorized Blinds

These are very helpful - thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've gone the the Rollertrol route. I control them with a RFXtrx433.

... and I made a small video, right after installation:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-VDMX-9FZc
                    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Anyone know how well these will work with blackout shades (with side guides). Do I just need to sufficiently weight the bottom of the blind?

Regards

Mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                      USB UIRT
                      HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                      2GIG Thermostat
                      BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                      BLUPS
                      UltraLog (SQL2008)
                      Jon00 Plugins
                      Global Cache IP2IR
                      Foscam FI8918W

Comment

I've been using the Rollertrol blinds since July or so with very good results. If you buy the radio ones, you can use the RFXCOM transciever to control them. It is actually pretty easy to setup. I just bought regular blinds at Home Depot and inserted the mini motors inside of the cardboard tube. You will need 12V to the motor or you can use one of the battery/solar options. I just ran wire (actually my wife did the crawling around in the attic) to each window and supplied 12V.

The only trick is to get the half open position. I posted a script (embarrassingly simple one) in the RFX forums about how to setup a timer to get the blinds to go up a distance and then stop.

Rollertrol also has some simple non-radio DC motors. I played around with them and they work fine. The best thing is that you can program the stop points and then just applying forward and reverse voltage runs the motor until the stop point. There are new Insteon mini modules could work as well to control the motors. Or one could go the Z wave route but I think you would need to buy a bit of hardware. There is some stuff about that on the rollertrol pages but I didn't look too close.
                        Which blinds did you use at homedepot? the blind has been the hardest part for me.
                        53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Comment

mark_anderson_us - I don't have any idea about the blackout shades with guides. I would suggest contacting the rollertrol guy as he seems to know quite a bit about blinds. One could look at some type of string pull/winch system. I think there are diagrams to that effect on the website.

Raptor - I just bought the basic Levolor roller blinds but any roller blinds should work. The mini tube motors fit inside for the most part. The tubes get smaller in diameter as the blind gets narrower. My narrowest blind had an extremely small tube so I had to replace it with a piece of 3/4" pipe. That took about 5 minutes including cutting the pipe. You just attach it with a little double sided tape. I was dreading it so I didn't finish it for a few months but it was actually dead simple. Probably easier than trying to get the spring out of the cardboard so the motor can be inserted.

The other option is to use the regular sized motors and just transfer each blind from the cardboard tube to a 1 1/4" piece of metal tubing. Home Depot has 1 1/4" EMT conduit that works just fine. Now that I know how easy it is to rip the blind off of the cardboard and stick it to the metal tube, I'll be doing that with the rest of my windows. Our house has something like 40 windows that we want blinds on so it is a big project. Wire is almost all in and I have 8 motors now with 5 more ordered that should arrive soon.

Comment

Raptor - I just bought the basic Levolor roller blinds but any roller blinds should work. The mini tube motors fit inside for the most part. The tubes get smaller in diameter as the blind gets narrower. My narrowest blind had an extremely small tube so I had to replace it with a piece of 3/4" pipe. That took about 5 minutes including cutting the pipe. You just attach it with a little double sided tape. I was dreading it so I didn't finish it for a few months but it was actually dead simple. Probably easier than trying to get the spring out of the cardboard so the motor can be inserted.

The other option is to use the regular sized motors and just transfer each blind from the cardboard tube to a 1 1/4" piece of metal tubing. Home Depot has 1 1/4" EMT conduit that works just fine. Now that I know how easy it is to rip the blind off of the cardboard and stick it to the metal tube, I'll be doing that with the rest of my windows. Our house has something like 40 windows that we want blinds on so it is a big project. Wire is almost all in and I have 8 motors now with 5 more ordered that should arrive soon.

yea that is what i am thinking as the mini motors are more money. thanks for the info. if you find any fabric that could be used i think it would work out cheaper too.

Comment

Is anyone using the battery option? I'm curious as to the battery life and how easy it is to change and charge the battery. I see they also have an option for a solar panel to charge the battery. I wish they had some pictures of these setups and install instructions on the site.

For a while I've been toying with the idea of using putting in motorized shades using Somfy motors. They have device that does zwave to their radio protocol and I know someone on these boards has posted about getting it working. However this solution is more attractive as the rfxcom is multipurpose and around two hundred bucks cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X