No announcement yet.

I have a PI and RAZberry ZWave interface can I build my own Z-NET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you @Pete - great explanation. I'll give it a try!

Comment

Good news Alex!

It is simple and many Homeseer users are doing that today one way or another using their Z-Wave GPIO enabled RPi.

Personally here purchased the first Zee which came with an Aeon stick. It was the very first of it's kind.

Homeseer was the first doing automation with the RPi way long time ago.

I noticed the Zee-2 announcement which utilized a GPIO Z-Wave card.

I couldn't wait for it such that I went and purchased the ZWave dot me GPIO card from the EU for the US early on.

Stock RPi build here uses the Z-Wave GPIO card and the PiFace RTC shim (in to time here). They work well together here.

At that time moved the device to the attic with a POE connection. For me personally it has the best footprint there.

That said the Leviton serial VRCOP Z-Wave is in the basement and sees all of my devices and the Samsung hub is on the main floor of the house and also sees all of my devices.

I have replicated the Z-Wave devices to each controller. No diagnostics with the Leviton VRCOP nor the Samsung Hub today.

The Homeseer Z-Wave diagnostics are best for viewing the nodes. (well new tool is very nice).
      Last edited by Pete; July 11, 2017, 10:09 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        For configuration of the ZWave dot Me or any Z-Wave GPIO card do the following for Wheezy or Jessie:
        Code:
        rm -rf /boot/cmdline.txt
        echo 'dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait Reboot' >> /boot/cmdline.txt
        chmod 777 /boot/cmdline.txt
        sed -i '/ttyAMA0 115200 vt100/d' /etc/inittab
        Thank you @Pete, I'm getting there, slowly...
        Code:
        Jul-16 14:21:46	 	Z-Wave Error	RaZberry: The RaZberry interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2).
        Jul-16 14:21:36	 	Z-Wave	RaZberry: Getting node information from controller...
        Jul-16 14:21:36	 	Z-Wave	RaZberry: Processing data buffered by the interface while it was disconnected.
        Jul-16 14:21:36	 	Z-Wave	RaZberry: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.0.10, connected to interface ok.
        So, here's what I've done:

1. Setup ser2net on my RasPi3 (/etc/ser2net.conf => 2001:raw:60:/dev/ttyAMA0:115200)
        2. Setup ZWave plugin on HS3, from log above seems correct
        3. Tried to setup ttyAMA0 following instructions above. Problem is - on Jessie there's no /etc/inittab, so I guess I need to use systemctl?

Hopefully all is left to configure ttyAMA0, but I'm not an expert in Linux, please help.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by alexbk66; July 16, 2017, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Is this an RPi2 or an RPi3 running Jessie?

On the RPi3 ...

/dev/ttyAMA0 -> Bluetooth
          /dev/ttyS0 -> GPIO serial port.

On the RPi2 ....
          /dev/ttyAMA0 ==> zwave card

On the latest Jessie the GPIO serial port is disabled by default.

Do nano /boot/config.txt

and add

enable_uart=1
          core_freq=250

save the file.

If you are using the serial port for anything other than the console you need to disable it. This will be slightly different depending on whether you are running a Raspberry Pi 3 or not.

For non Raspberry Pi 3 machines, remember it’s /dev/ttyAMA0 that is linked to the getty (console) service. So you need to perform this command from a terminal window:

$ sudo systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyAMA0.service
          $ sudo systemctl disable serial-getty@ttyAMA0.service

The “disable” will stop it loading in the future.

For Raspberry Pi 3’s the command is similar but referencing /dev/ttyS0:

$ sudo systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyS0.service
          $ sudo systemctl disable serial-getty@ttyS0.service

You also need to remove the console from the cmdline.txt. If you edit this with:

$ sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt

you will see something like:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes root wait

remove the line: console=serial0,115200 and save and reboot for changes to take effect.
          Last edited by Pete; July 16, 2017, 01:25 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

No. If you look at the command that edits /etc/inittab, the "/d" indicates that its just removing any lines that reference /dev/ttyAMA0. This in order to avoid device conflicts. Since that file isn't there, there's nothing to remove.

BTW, I picked up a RazBerry in the past week and its working well with a rpi3, using ser2net.

Couple things to check

1) In the file /etc/ser2net.conf, all that is needed is this one line
            2001:raw:60:/dev/ttyAMA0:115200

If you added that to the existing file, make sure that any other line starting with 2001: is deleted or commented out, otherwise it will conflict with the added one.

2) check the the boot command line in file /boot/cmdline.txt. The Jessie default is
            dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 roo
            tfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait

This needs to be edited to eliminate the underlined portion:
            Code:
            dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=d
            eadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
            3) On the model 3 rpi, the Bluetooth function is associated with the serial device /dev/ttyAMA0. This is undone by adding the following to the end of the file /boot/config.txt:

Code:
            # switch bluetooth function to ttyS0 and restore UART0/ttyAMA0 over GPIO 14&15
            dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
            (This can safely be added to a pi 2 but doesn't do anything).

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
              On the model 3 rpi, the Bluetooth function is associated with the serial device /dev/ttyAMA0. This is undone by adding the following to the end of the file /boot/config.txt:

Code:
              Thank you @zwolfpack - you are genius, lifesaver, etc!

Code:
              Jul-16 20:55:25	 	Z-Wave	Z-Wave network key has been updated and saved.
              Jul-16 20:55:25	 	Z-Wave	RaZBerry: Z-Wave services for the SECURITY COMMAND CLASS were successfully started.
              Jul-16 20:55:25	 	Z-Wave	RaZBerry: Z-Wave Serial API version: 5
              Jul-16 20:55:25	 	Z-Wave	RaZBerry: Z-Wave interface node ID: 1, Home ID: E3FDBC54
              Jul-16 20:55:25	 	Z-Wave	RaZBerry: Found 2 Z-Wave nodes in interface node ID 1 (RaZBerry)
              Jul-16 20:55:25	 	Z-Wave	RaZBerry: Controller Manufacturer: Telsey, ID=0x2, Type=0x4
              Jul-16 20:55:25	 	Z-Wave	RaZBerry: Controller firmware version: 5.4
              Jul-16 20:55:25	 	Z-Wave	RaZBerry: Getting node information from controller...
              Jul-16 20:55:24	 	Z-Wave	RaZBerry: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.0.10, connected to interface ok.
              Last edited by alexbk66; July 16, 2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Good news Alex!!!

Here initially switched my RPi2 znet device from Wheezy to Jessie and it personally here it only ran for weeks at a time. I did see more utilization of the Jessie OS over the Wheezy OS.

After rebuilding the box using Jessie some three times and having hard crashes with it (messing up the SD card) decided to downgrade the RPi2 to Wheezy.

Relating to the RPi2 with built in Bluetooth and Wireless I never really used bluetooth and wireless and would have preferred that the RPi3 had more ram such that it could run in a 64bit OS. So here switched over to using the Pine64 2Gb machine and installed Ubuntu 64 bit on it. It is modular with WLAN and Bluetooth modules available on it. Newest mini version now will have up to 4Gb of ram and embedded OS drive or optional SD drive and a faster ARM processor. (easy server and ultimate Kodi box).

The Pine 64 2Gb (for $29.95 USD) also includes a built in RTC - I had added the PiFace RTC the RPi2 boxes I have. Now too they have downsized the Pine64 machine to an RPi sized device with more memory and more features but the cost now is more than double.

I am now pushing the Znet like RPi2 running wheezy doing 1-wire stuff on it and yesterday installed Mosquitto on it (and Apache2 and Php). ZWave GPIO is transparent on it with the sertonet stuff. Connected to the mothership is the same as it was before. I am having issues upgrading it as mostly the Wheezy OS has been sunsetted for the Jessie OS stuff. IE: I am stuck right now at wheezy php 5.4 and cannot update anymore.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Fantastic!

Comment

Fantastic!
                    Not that fantastic
                    Trying to add new device I found there's no such option in HS, "Controller Node Information" says "No Controller Capabilities Found".
                    I'm afraid to ask HS support as their rely will be - this is not supported configuration.

Please help. Again.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm, thats odd. What version of the zwave plugin are you running? Which version of the Razberry do you have?

I haven't added any devices yet, but here is what I have for those same views. Plugin 3.0.1.136 and this Razberry.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I haven't added any devices yet, but here is what I have for those same views. Plugin 3.0.1.136 and this Razberry.
                        Same. Good news - I removed the whole network and recreated again - now it's all good.
                        It's ok I had only one node, but what if it was fool blown network?

Comment

Yes here also using ZWave plugin 136 with an older ZWave dot me GPIO card. Now looking to update firmware to same as you guys have.

Here primary lighting is UPB. I only have 37 nodes in my ZWave network here and have replicated the network to my Leviton VRCOP and my Samsung Smarthings...

I have not heard of any issues with ZNet, Z-Wave dot me devices with full blown networks on the forum. (> 100 nodes and < 500 nodes)

[ATTACH]62418[/ATTACH]

Geez noticed a big difference between the old GPIO Razberry card and new one. I have the old one here (first generation).

Current ZWave GPIO firmware on the RazBerry is now 5.XX.

[ATTACH]62419[/ATTACH]

Razberry firmware 5.06
                          LED can be turned off:
                          Change it via IP:8083/JS/Run/zway.NVMExtWriteLongBuffer(0x6510,[XX]), where XX is:
                          0x00 LED used only for memory test when device powers up. Silent mode.
                          0x01 LED used during memory test and to indicate inclusion/exclusion mode.
                          0x03 LED used during memory test, to indicate inclusion/exclusion mode and it blinks when data is sending.

Razberry firmware 5.05
                          Fixed Bootloader upgrade response

Razberry firmware 5.04
                          LED not turning off after some operations fixed

Razberry firmware 5.03
                          Fixed bug with wrong UID returned after license apply
                          Last edited by Pete; July 23, 2017, 09:11 AM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            Now looking to update firmware to same as you guys have.
                            Geez noticed a big difference between the old GPIO Razberry card and new one. I have the old one here (first generation).
                            I also have the old one - just bought from zwave.com.au - they sent me the old one, when on their site the new one is shown. Bastards.
                            Is it really an issue?

Comment

No. Maybe you can send it back to your supplier and request new one?

Here I have my ZWave GPIO card stacked over the PiFace RTC card. Been fine (have two RPIs like this).

I have first generation with 3.99 firmware and have no issues. But that is me with my stuff.

and using HS3 was able to replicate my ZWave network over to the Leviton ZWave VRCOP and the Samsung Smarthings hub with current revision levels.

NOTE Each controller works independent of each other.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

My SD card became corrupted, so I had to do this again. So I decided to summarize what needs to be done in one post.

1. Install ser2net on RasPi:
                                Code:
                                apt-get install ser2net
                                /etc/ser2net.conf
                                Code:
                                2001:raw:60:/dev/ttyAMA0:115200
                                2. Configure serial port

/boot/config.txt
                                Code:
                                enable_uart=1
                                /boot/cmdline.txt
                                Code:
                                dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
                                3. In HS server add Z-Wave interface:
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-28.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1191723

4. Backup SD card image i.e following How To Clone Your Raspberry Pi SD Card

Comment

Working...
                                X