I have a PI and RAZberry ZWave interface can I build my own Z-NET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news Alex!!!!

You are really good at this stuff now...ou should maybe write a DIY for those folks looking to do what you have done.

Ideally if you can POE the connection to the RPi you can put it anywhere. Relating to Z-Wave I have mine in the attic and it works well. You can take the RPi out of the case and maybe put it in a smoke detector and on a ceiling some place where it gets good coverage.

For easy peasy POE utilize a TP-Link POE to 5VDC adaptor with a barrel connector to a mini USB power connector.

The TP-Link is very reasonably priced. Or you can utilize an RPi POE hat which is more expensive.

Here turned my original RPi2 - Zee2 into a combo multifunctional Wheezy RPi2.

1 - Znet (ser2net to mothership)
    2 - 1 wire network for second floor (using digitemp and owfs)

ICS-ZNet:/opt/digitemp# digitemp -a -q -c /etc/digitemp.conf
    Jul 27 09:48:59 Sensor 0 C: 29.56 F: 85.21 - attic
    Jul 27 09:48:59 Sensor 1 C: 28.34 F: 83.02 H: 59% - Master Bathroom
    Jul 27 09:49:00 Sensor 2 C: 23.56 F: 74.41 H: 50% - Master bedroom
    Jul 27 09:49:01 Sensor 3 C: 23.16 F: 73.68 H: 50% - Hallway
    Jul 27 09:49:02 Sensor 4 C: 23.12 F: 73.62 H: 49% - Office
    Jul 27 09:49:02 Sensor 5 #0 816 - lightning counter 1
    Jul 27 09:49:02 Sensor 5 #1 810 - lightning counter 2

3 - maybe adding lightning sensor board to same RPi2....

AS3935 Lightning Detection Monitor Script - v0.1
    Monitor Status: ONLINE

Disturber detected - masking
    Noise level too high - adjusting
    1 2017-07-22 04:01:55.226265 1 1 0

Overhead lightning detected - distance = 1 km at 23:01:55.222 2017-07-21
    1 2017-07-22 04:02:54.001448 1 1 0

Still adding to 2nd floor sensors then doing a second RPi 1-wire network for main floor and basement.
    Last edited by Pete; July 27, 2017, 10:07 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Good news Alex!!!!

You are really good at this stuff now...ou should maybe write a DIY for those folks looking to do what you have done.

Ideally if you can POE the connection to the RPi you can put it anywhere. Relating to Z-Wave I have mine in the attic and it works well. You can take the RPi out of the case and maybe put it in a smoke detector and on a ceiling some place where it gets good coverage.

Here turned my original RPi2 - Zee2 into a combo Wheezy

1 - Znet
      2 - 1 wire network for second floor
      For another project I have a Pi powered by POE with a simple splitter from ebay.

Comment

Just went looking on Ebay and found a nice one for $4 USD.

[ATTACH]62520[/ATTACH]

Great price and small footprint. Ordered one to test with.

Thank you Ian!!!

This is much less and smaller than the TP-Link POE to 5VDC adapters that I have been using. (use them for my Jogglers here too).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
          My SD card became corrupted, so I had to do this again. So I decided to summarize what needs to be done in one post.
          Very nice, thank you. Does this setup support backup and restore of the Z-Wave network from the HS3 interface?
          stefxx

Comment

The plugin talks to the serial GPIO card as if it were directly connected to your HS3 box.

So yes it supports backup and restore of the Z-Wave network.

Note too that the Z-Wave network is stored on the Z-Wave GPIO card similar to a Z-Wave USB stick.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation. Very helpful as I am considering building the same setup.

I was alarmed by the image in this post (in this same thread): https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...9&postcount=54. But I guess that was because the "no controller capabilities found" issue.

Perhaps a stupid question, but why don't you guy use the znet image from HomeSeer? I would think that would save a lot of time and effort...
              stefxx

Comment

Personally I do not think a ZNet image exist. The ZNet device is a proprietary device sold by Homeseer. There is no image available for it.

You can utilize the Zee2 image if want to install it and modify it for use with the ZWave dot me GPIO card.

Here from the days of the original Zee have always DIY'd my RPi devices. It's been more of a learning experience here to get familiar with the Wheezy and Jessie RPi OS.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...9&postcount=39

But I agree, building your own image is much more fun. Thanks again for all the good work and for sharing it!
                  stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
                    Very nice, thank you. Does this setup support backup and restore of the Z-Wave network from the HS3 interface?
                    Yeah, basically there's 3 backups I do:
                    1. Backup RPi image
                    2. Backup HS3 configuration
                    3. And backup Z-Wave interface from HS3 Z-Wave plugin as well

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
                      I was alarmed by the image in this post (in this same thread): https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...9&postcount=54. But I guess that was because the "no controller capabilities found" issue.

Perhaps a stupid question, but why don't you guy use the znet image from HomeSeer? I would think that would save a lot of time and effort...
                      There's no Z-NET image as such, you have to buy the Z-NET device.
                      Which is basically RPi plus Z-Wave interface, both of them I did have already. And also for US they are using RaZberry hat, but for AU they still use USB Z-Wave interface which I don't like.

If you don't have and are going to buy RPi and Z-Wave interface - then definitely it's much easier to buy Z-NET instead.

I'm also using the same RPi for remote RaspberryIO plugin to control my digital IO, kill two birds with one RPi.

The problem you referee to - was fixed easily by deleting and adding interface in the plugin. I have to admit I was close to giving-up and going Z-NET route... I summarized the setup steps in one post, so following these instructions it should take half an hour to setup.

But in general - I find HS very unreliable and annoying - something alwys stops working and I have to look in logs to find some errors in some plug-ins, which go away after rebooting the server. Today I finally connected my sliding gates controller to my RPi, was very excited. Went to park with my baby, come back home - myHS can't connect, so I had to jump the fence. Very annoying!!!
                      Last edited by alexbk66; July 30, 2017, 11:43 AM.

Comment

@Alex.....

It is only a machine or a tool and software....that you totally manage....

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

It is only a machine or a tool and software....that you totally manage....
                          @Pete, I'm software engineer myself for 30 years, so I know how to manage software. And the computer is pretty good too:
                          hystou.com/products/fanless-mini-pc/4th-gen-core-i7-mini-pc/intel-haswell-core-i7-4500u-cpu-fanless-mini-pc-computer-barebone-pc-1953.html
                          I'm doing SW for real time control systems, I worked even on redesigning safety system for nuclear power plants AFTER Chernobyl. HS is not industrial grade SW.

Comment

Understood Alex. I did not mean to create any animosity here.

HS is not industrial grade SW.

#10 of the Homeseer License Agreement in the about page of HS3.

10. HOMESEER SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

My Homeseer 3 Pro machine here is also running on a Haswell iSeries computer with 16Gb of RAM in Ubuntu Linux 64bit. Works great!!!

Homeseer 3 lite (AKA Zee-Zee2) started life out in a RPi (first generation), then an RPi2, then a Pine64 2Gb computer (and now testing on the mini old now Xi5a - mini cube with a dual core AMD CPU, 2Gb and an SSD drive - runs hot and case is a heat sink).

Best thing here was switching from Wintel to Linux and continuing to utilize Windows in virtual boxes (Oracle).

Here came from an architectural infrastructure / software world in the EPC/Airline/logistics/finance/automotive industry mixing public/private sector stuff.

One last endeavor was the RF tagging of employees that were transported to a job site in the middle of nowhere desert on a tectonic plate next to the ocean.

Recalling now the come to Jesus meetings and watching a site manager in old Wales age 20 years in less than 2 years - ring tones on his phone was "Good, Bad and the Ugly" old spaghetti western theme. High-lite of my visit was meeting with a few Met office folks after a tumultuous storm rewound a natural gas project (a bit to wean the UK from the what ailed them) some 2 years and it had snowed the day of my arrival (which was a PITA drive from London where it snowed there and shut down the city for bit). That said it wasn't their fault any how....place / room that I stayed at was nice...was told that it was the favorite of the Prince's places and now recalling I had a little tea cup set up next to the bed in a little fold down cup board sort of hidden from view and easy access for whenever I wanted tea (and here not a tea drinker and more of a 7 shot espresso early morning once a day drinker though).

One hobby here though was my home and the sandbox that I created in my home and what it was I could do with computers and widgets. It was never even close to the 10 thousand foot view of the work stuff.

Same as other hobbies....
                            Last edited by Pete; July 30, 2017, 05:04 PM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

now testing on the mini old now Xi5a - mini cube with a dual core AMD CPU, 2Gb and an SSD drive - runs hot and case is a heat sink
                              I found that switching to a better CPU (i7) makes it much colder, which probably makes sense. I'm also using Jon00 SpeedFan Monitor For Homeseer 3 to monitor CPU and SSD temperatures, like it.

Same as other hobbies....
                              My hobby (and original qualification) is electronics, so HS is kind of fun, when it works

Comment

Yup; the Homeseer 3 Pro machine runs using the Haswell iSeries motherboard and runs pretty cool.

The Homeseer Zee-2 machine runs cooler on the Pine64 2gb machine than the dual core AMD Xi5a (purchased for $60 USD with 2Gb of RAM and a 32Gb SSD drive).

Yes here my hobbies and last work efforts are very different from my 8 - 10 years of University many many years ago (which gobbled up my yut) well way before computers though.

Look how easy it was to configure your ZWave GPIO card....now you can do it with blind folds on...
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X