Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have opened my z-net and made a backup with USB ImageTool.
    Those backups I can restore every time.
    I hope we will get a version before v.023 soon !
    The v0.17 posted from Rich runs but 0.21 or 0.22 would be much better
    because of the added timeout and automatic reconnect possibility.

Fischi

Comment

@Skinnez - none of the images prior to .23 will work for you or anyone else with the external UZB zwave controller (rather than one with the daughter card internal to the znet unit), without a manual adjustment.

I fear you guys are going to be disappointed if you do manage to get back to a prior version. The raspberry pi firmware doesn't know anything about zwave; it just provides a transparent communication pathway between the zwave plugin on the HS3 box to the zwave controller chip on the daughter card or UZB stick. Neither the daughter card nor the UZB is touched by the znet updates.

That being said, I can tell you how to enable the timeout that was deleted in the .23 update, if you are up to installing it manually. First, some history:

- there was no .18 update for the znetv2; this was only for znetv1
      - .19 introduced a 20 second timeout which proved too aggressive so it was increased to 60 seconds in update .20.
      - .21 added a fix to make the timeout more selective which required an updated ser2net binary.
      - .22 is identical to .21; this was posted briefly when they rolled back the initial .23 botched update.

To implement the 60 second timeout, you need to edit the file /etc/ser2net.conf. Near the end, locate the line that starts with
      2001:raw:0:/dev/tty....
      change it to
      2001:raw:60:/dev/tty....

Note that the device name in the 4th field will be /dev/ttyAMA0 for the units with the internal daughter card and /dev/ttyACM0 for those with the UZB. That is the extent of the .23 update.

I won't bore you with details of installing the .21 updated ser2net binary unless there is interest. If so, give a shout...
      Last edited by zwolfpack; December 9, 2016, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
        @Skinnez - none of the images prior to .23 will work for you or anyone else with the external UZB zwave controller (rather than one with the daughter card internal to the znet unit), without a manual adjustment.

I fear you guys are going to be disappointed if you do manage to get back to a prior version. The raspberry pi firmware doesn't know anything about zwave; it just provides a transparent communication pathway between the zwave plugin on the HS3 box to the zwave controller chip on the daughter card or UZB stick. Neither the daughter card nor the UZB is touched by the znet updates.

That being said, I can tell you how to enable the timeout that was deleted in the .23 update, if you are up to installing it manually. First, some history:

- there was no .18 update for the znetv2; this was only for znetv1
        - .19 introduced a 20 second update which proved too aggressive so it was increased to 60 seconds in update .20.
        - .21 added a fix to make the timeout more selective which required an updated ser2net binary.
        - .22 is identical to .21; this was posted briefly when they rolled back the initial .23 botched update.

To implement the 60 second timeout, you need to edit the file /etc/ser2net.conf. Near the end, locate the line that starts with
        2001:raw:0:/dev/tty....
        change it to
        2001:raw:60:/dev/tty....

Note that the device name in the 4th field will be /dev/ttyAMA0 for the units with the internal daughter card and /dev/ttyACM0 for those with the UZB. That is the extent of the .23 update.

I won't bore you with details of installing the .21 updated ser2net binary unless there is interest. If so, give a shout...
        Ok I think I understand what you are saying. Weird though that I never seen these errors with .21, and obviously when updating to .23 it must have corrupted something, As I had these errors every few minutes. They disappeared when I put the .17 update onto the card. And came back when I updated to .23 again... although I only ran .17 for a day or so, and as there werent any problems I updated to .23 again. Now with that 'clean' .23 version I do get these errors but only every few days.
        Anyway, I want to implement the timeout as per your instructions. So I use putty to go into my Z-Net, the open the ser2net.conf in notepad, implement the changes and save it back to Z-Net, and reboot Z-Net, correct ?

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
          Ok I think I understand what you are saying. Weird though that I never seen these errors with .21, and obviously when updating to .23 it must have corrupted something, As I had these errors every few minutes. They disappeared when I put the .17 update onto the card. And came back when I updated to .23 again... although I only ran .17 for a day or so, and as there werent any problems I updated to .23 again. Now with that 'clean' .23 version I do get these errors but only every few days.
          Anyway, I want to implement the timeout as per your instructions. So I use putty to go into my Z-Net, the open the ser2net.conf in notepad, implement the changes and save it back to Z-Net, and reboot Z-Net, correct ?
          You won't be able to use notepad on the rpi, its not Windows. For editing, most folks use nano (I use vi but I'm an old UNIX dinosaur).

To edit with nano, use command

sudo nano /etc/ser2net.conf

make the change then follow the instructions in the program to save the file, then reboot.

Comment

I will give that a try over the weekend when I have a bit of time. But nano runs on windows ? Otherwise I will have problem. I only have Windows PC's (and a few Android tablets)

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
              I will give that a try over the weekend when I have a bit of time. But nano runs on windows ? Otherwise I will have problem. I only have Windows PC's (and a few Android tablets)
              No, nano runs on the raspberry pi. You use PuTTY to ssh into the rpi, then run nano on the rpi command line within the PuTTY window.

Comment

Ok sorry for all the silly questions but don't know anything about rpi... so do I have to install nano or is it there already ?

Comment

Its there already. Are you able to log in with PuTTY? If so, at the prompt type
                  sudo nano /etc/ser2net.conf
                  once the program starts, down arrow to almost the bottom - there you will see a line starting with 2001:raw:0: ... Use the right arrow to move the cursor to the beginning of the 3rd field. Enter 6 to make the field say 60, then enter Ctrl-X and y to save.

Comment

I have never tried to ssh into Z-Net but I used to ssh into my Vera with putty so I should be ok. Not sure where to find the command line in putty, I haven't seen that or used that before but I'll find it. Thanks for your patience in explaining.

Comment

session starts like this - enter homeseer@hostname or homeseer@ipaddr then open.

Click image for larger version

Name:	putty.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1188042

once you're logged in you can't miss the command line - its where the cursor is and where text shows up when you type...

Click image for larger version

Name:	putty2.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1188041

Comment

Now looking at the putty screenshots, I think I used something else to ssh into my Vera as it gave me like a file explorer after logging in. I think it might have been WinSSH or something like that. But I have used putty before, but with these screenshots it'll be very easy now.

Comment

Problems with .23 still not resolved

I thought most of my problems were solved after I restored .17 and then upgraded to .23, I still had the occasional Z-Wave Error failed to send command to... but only every few days now. Until yesterday. I ran my good night event which turns off about 15 devices, and also does other non zwave related commands. The non zwave commands all executed. But none of my Z-Wave devices turned off. I had a look in the log, and did see the commands to turn off my devices, but they did not react. This time after 10 minutes they still hadn't turned off, but no errors in the log either. I tried a few more times with various methods send a turn off to those devices, no luck. A lot of my devices had status unknown again, the same problem I had when all my problems first started after updating to .23
                          It all started working again after a HS3 reboot.

Comment

latest update

my znet config page shows 1.0.17 available. i updated and then hit "submit" on bottom of page. after reboot, the znet page still shows the same thing that 1.0.17 is available... ??? how do i know its installed properly
                            HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Originally posted by gfs View Post
                              my znet config page shows 1.0.17 available. i updated and then hit "submit" on bottom of page. after reboot, the znet page still shows the same thing that 1.0.17 is available... ??? how do i know its installed properly
                              The current version is 1.0.23. You need to be sure there is a gateway configured or it cannot reach the Internet for updates.
                              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

its on my network. i have hs3 and hometroller s6. not sure how i config a gateway...
                                HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Working...
                                X