Z-Net Static Address NFG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Net Static Address NFG

My Z-Net is not taking a static address. I set the wired interface to static (12.168.1.202 - outside of dhcp scope) yesterday and that seemed to work fine.

Today, I went to do some HS setup and I could not connect to it and the status light was red. I rebooted it and it worked fine.

I need to move it temporarily for some inclusions and went to set up the wifi. I'd like to assign it the same address for wifi. I wasn't sure if it used wifi only in the absence of wired ethernet, was hoping this was the case. At any rate, I started by setting a static address for wifi of 192.168.1.206. I was able to access it via both wired and wireless ethernet. I took this as a sign to not use wifi and run a long cable to the temporary location for inclusions.

I then deleted the wifi addressing information as well as the wifi ssid and pw from the Z-net and rebooted.

Afterwards, both the wifi and the wired interfaces did not come up. As it turns out, the wired interface did come up, but dhcp, not static. I've checked and set it several times and it will not come up with the configured address. The configuration is correct.

I've got a dhcp reservation setting it to the correct adrdress now, but am concerned that the device is not holding a static address. I wonder if the address had reverted to dhcp before I looked at this today?

Is there a way to set the wifi to "off" or set the z-net to use either wired OR wireless? It would be nice to have both interfaces set to the same address and then be able to use it wifi for inclusion and wired for normal use.

My Z-Net is running version 1.0.23

Also, it would be nice if the next hardware rev could include POE for powering it.

Thanks.

I leave mine in DHCP, and set my router to assign the static address by using the MAC address of the Z-Net's adapter. I never use the wired LAN; I run all four of my Z-Nets from wireless cards (mine are older and don't have the built in wireless).

Comment

I tell anyone who'll listen to avoid the znet static address setting. The way it's implemented leaves something to be desired. I've helped several folks cure problems by dumping that and instead use DHCP with an address reservation in the router.

See this post for a way to configure a rpi to enable the wireless interface only when the wired interface is disconnected. Word of warning, use of the znet configuration web page will clobber this setup (overwrites /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf).

BTW I notice you're using an non-standard private IP address range. I presume you know what you're doing...

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
        I tell anyone who'll listen to avoid the znet static address setting. The way it's implemented leaves something to be desired. I've helped several folks cure problems by dumping that and instead use DHCP with an address reservation in the router.

See this post for a way to configure a rpi to enable the wireless interface only when the wired interface is disconnected. Word of warning, use of the znet configuration web page will clobber this setup (overwrites /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf).

BTW I notice you're using an non-standard private IP address range. I presume you know what you're doing...
        Thanks. That's the conclusion I've come to with znet and static. That's a typo on my address. The first octet is 192, not 12...

Comment

Working...
        X