Simplifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simplifying

I have a MiniPC with one RJ45. Does anyone know if I can setup a 4 port switch to the Minipc, then one of the 4 ports to the router and another to my z-net.

My thinking is I could have HS3/z-net function without being connected to the router. Obviously HSTouch would be out of the question as would remote access, but everything local should run as long as the power is on.

That isn't the case now if the internet, router or cable modem lose contact with my ISP.

Thoughts?

That will work. I have a 5 port gigabit switch that extends one of the router ports to four other clients.

I think you will find though, that if you were to disconnect your router from the cable modem that HS3 <=> znet will continue to function just fine.

Comment

As long as you have a static IP on the same subnet assigned to the HS server and the Z-Net. What Zwolfpack says should be true as well. Losing connection to your ISP should not affect internal LAN routing. It should work even without a router as long as you have static IPs assigned. Without a router devices can communicate with each other at layer 2 while in the same subnet through ARP and the mac address table.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I now have the minipc and the z-net connected to switcher ports 1 and 2. The link on the switcher goes to one of the router ports.

I can disconnect the switcher from the router and unlike before, I can still control all zwave devices from HS3.

Basically, my goal is to make the z-net as independent as possible from the internet yet be able to interact with it when I want to. This appears to be a step in the right direction.

Comment

Have you had trouble with your router before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
            Have you had trouble with your router before?
            Absolutely. I replaced the router originally supplied by Optimum my internet provider, with a Netgear 7800. It's a ton better but there are still issues since I still get "Connected, No Internet" notifications on two Android phones.

I recently had an issue where out of the clear blue, all the ip addresses jumped around by themselves (yes, by themselves) even the static ones I had assigned. At that point, any link pointing to a static address became invalid.

I "think" the root of this multi-faceted problem is either the cable modem or something back at the Optimum side. However every time I contact support, they seem to reset things and then it's good for a day or two.

Comment

Working...
            X