Reset button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reset button

Just got my Z-net. Using find.homeseer.com I logged onto the Z-Net, changed to a static IP and now can not communicate with it. find.homeseer.com sees the new address, but I can't access it.

Is there a reset button on this thing?

Thanks.

Don
    Don

You can connect a keyboard and HDMI monitor and watch as it logs on. There is a prompt to press r during is boot up to reset the network settings.

If you don't see the prompt, I see it always, but others have said they don't, see this post from Rich. It is for a Zee, but the process works on a Z-Net. The password on the newer ones is zneths16 a few used zneths15 and the first ones were hsthsths3, the username is homeseer.
    Originally posted by rjh
    So you changed the IP address of your Zee from within HomeSeer. Maybe you set the wrong IP or other setting and now you cannot access your Zee over the network. If you have an HDMI monitor and USB keyboard you can manually change the settings back, here is how.
    Connect an HDMI monitor and USB keyboard to your ZEE.
    Power cycle the Zee. You should see startup messages on your monitor and after about 20 seconds you should get a login prompt. Login with user=HomeSeer and the password should be whatever password you changed your Zee to. If you did not change it, the default is password=hsthsths3.
    After you log in change to the folder where the network settings using the command: cd /etc/network
    Now edit the interfaces file with the command: sudo nano interfaces

This will start a simple text editor.

The interfaces file should look like this for DHCP:

Code:
    auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    address 192.168.2.249
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.2.1

allow-hotplug wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet manual
    wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    network 0.0.0.0
    address 0.0.0.0
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1

iface default inet dhcp
    For static change "dhcp" to "static" and make sure the address, netmask, and gateway are set properly.
    To save your changes press Control X, then Y, then hit return.
    Now restart the unit to test your changes, enter: sudo reboot

When the unit boots it will display the IP address it is set to.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks. Going to make a lot of friends disconnecting our TV to fix this.
      Don

Comment

You might try it with only a keyboard -- wait till the LED turns yellow, then press 'r' key and 'Enter' key.

Comment

Now you tell me.

Got it working.I'll try to set a static IP address when I recover from this.

Thanks for all the help.

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
          You might try it with only a keyboard -- wait till the LED turns yellow, then press 'r' key and 'Enter' key.
          Don

Comment

To complete this thought for future reference...

This applies to the "original" znet config, that with the internal EZZee GPIO board which has the RGB status LED.

For znetv2 build, upon bootup, the status LED will illuminate YELLOW for approx. 10 seconds. During that time you can enter the 'R' key and the Enter key (in either order, remarkably) to trigger a reset of the network interfaces file to the initial delivered state (DHCP). When this happens, the LED is set GREEN for 3 seconds, then go RED. (Normal is RED immediately after YELLOW).

On znetv1 build its similar except you only have 5 seconds to act (LED YELLOW). Press 'R' & Enter in that order to reset. The LED is set to GREEN upon completion of the reset but its uncertain how long that will persist.

Comment

I had originally set a static IP to my Z-Net, but with recent changes to my network (192.168.2.xxx -> 192.168.86.xxx), I need to change it or set it to DHCP. I tried the 'R' enter, as it was booting (btw, no yellow light); I have logged into the Z-Net via keyboard and display and used Nano to set it to DHCP and a new IP that conforms to my new network (yes, i used sudo); I even added a second Ethernet port to my computer so I could connect to the Z-Net over http and tried to change it to DHCP or another static IP.

All changes have not survived a reboot! Any other ideas before I use the hammer?

Comment

Originally posted by AO! View Post
                I have logged into the Z-Net via keyboard and display and used Nano to set it to DHCP and a new IP that conforms to my new network
                What steps did you take to to configure for DHCP? Your statement is confusing, as you can't both "set it to DHCP" and set "a new IP", since for DHCP the server assigns the IP.

To configure for DHCP, file /etc/network/interfaces should contain the following:

Code:
                auto lo
                iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
                iface eth0 inet dhcp
                That's all you should need.

Comment

What steps did you take to to configure for DHCP? Your statement is confusing, as you can't both "set it to DHCP" and set "a new IP", since for DHCP the server assigns the IP.

To configure for DHCP, file /etc/network/interfaces should contain the following:

Code:
                  auto lo
                  iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
                  iface eth0 inet dhcp
                  That's all you should need.
                  I tried setting to DHCP and rebooted but the changes were not there. I then tried setting to a different IP address and rebooted, but the old IP address remained. I tried this with a keyboard attached to the Z-Net and by logging into the html interface.

When using the keyboard, I did reopen the network file after saving changes and the changes were there. However, after rebooting, the old IP address was still there. It seems as if the file is being overwritten during the boot process.

Comment

I tried setting to DHCP and rebooted but the changes were not there. I then tried setting to a different IP address and rebooted, but the old IP address remained. I tried this with a keyboard attached to the Z-Net and by logging into the html interface.

When using the keyboard, I did reopen the network file after saving changes and the changes were there. However, after rebooting, the old IP address was still there. It seems as if the file is being overwritten during the boot process.
                    I'm not aware of anything that could do that. Check if the SD card is full:
                    df -h /
                    If it says 100% full, that's your problem.

Absent than that, the SD card might be going bad.

Comment

I'm not aware of anything that could do that. Check if the SD card is full:
                      df -h /
                      If it says 100% full, that's your problem.

Absent than that, the SD card might be going bad.
                      Showing 81% used. Tried sudo rm interfaces; confirmed it was removed; sudo reboot; still showing the same static IP address and the file is at /etc/networks/interfaces

Looks like hammer time

Comment

Showing 81% used. Tried sudo rm interfaces; confirmed it was removed; sudo reboot; still showing the same static IP address and the file is at /etc/networks/interfaces

Looks like hammer time
                        Hammer is always an option. If you prefer something less drastic, try to determine if the disk is not being written, or if the interfaces file is indeed being regenerated:
                        Rather that deleting the interfaces file, try renaming it to something like interfaces.old:

cd /etc/network/
                        sudo mv interfaces interfaces.old

Then reboot and see if the interfaces.old is still there (presumably interfaces will be there as well).

If the interfaces.old isn't there, then the disk isn't being written. Then try issuing the sync command before the reboot.

sudo sync
                        sudo reboot

(I'm guessing that you have a znet v1, based on the disk utilization -- v1 had more unnecessary OS stuff than does the v2. Perhaps the older OS isn't flushing the write cache when it shuts down).

If the interfaces.old file is there, a farfetched guess is that maybe the configuration web interface page is inadvertently being resubmitted? Make sure you don't have a browser page open to the znet configuration page.

One last thing: check contents of file /var/www/Main/WiFi.txt. If this exists and is non-empty, post contents (removing any wireless SSID/passwords if present).

Comment

Working...
                        X