Z-NET Remote Z-Wave Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-NET Remote Z-Wave Interface

I was looking at the Z-NET Remote Z-Wave Interface and from the description and any of the documents I could find, I couldn't see the remote access options. I use the Indigo software and it has three options for Z-Wave. The first is "Local (physical)" via USB. The other two options are:

"Network Socket" and then it allows be to put in a socket address in the format of socket://

The last option is:
    "Network RFC-2217" and it can be put in via rfc2217://

Does the Z-NET Remote Z-Wave Interface support either of these two network options? I'm currently using the Aeotec Gen5 USB stick but would like to use something other than USB because of my setup. The network option would be nice. Indigo is setup to use the standard serial protocol but via the USB stick. So if the Z-NET supports that (it appears that it does) and can use a network socket for full control of adding and controlling the Z-Wave devices along with adding new devices, then it should work.

No to the 2nd at least. The znet is network serial extender. It utilizes ser2net, but it is uses the 'raw' configuration, rather than the 'telnet' which would be what you'd want for RFC-2217.

I'm not familiar what the "Network Socket" option might be. Maybe its the same as 'raw' in which case you'd be in luck.

Or, you could get a Raspberry Pi, plug in your Aeotec, install ser2net and you'd be set!

Comment

Thank you for the response. I think I'm going to try a USB over IP device and see how that works. The solution I'm looking at, they have software to run on macOS and Indigo will see the device as local but the USB device will actually be plugged into the USB over IP appliance. Given that it supports isochronous devices for realtime support, I think this might be the best option. If it fails, I might give the Z-NET a go and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by lanbrown View Post
        I was looking at the Z-NET Remote Z-Wave Interface and from the description and any of the documents I could find, I couldn't see the remote access options. I use the Indigo software and it has three options for Z-Wave. The first is "Local (physical)" via USB. The other two options are:

"Network Socket" and then it allows be to put in a socket address in the format of socket://

The last option is:
        "Network RFC-2217" and it can be put in via rfc2217://

Does the Z-NET Remote Z-Wave Interface support either of these two network options? I'm currently using the Aeotec Gen5 USB stick but would like to use something other than USB because of my setup. The network option would be nice. Indigo is setup to use the standard serial protocol but via the USB stick. So if the Z-NET supports that (it appears that it does) and can use a network socket for full control of adding and controlling the Z-Wave devices along with adding new devices, then it should work.
        Indigo 7 works flawlessly with the Z-NET (working here with a Z-NET based on the RaspberryPi 2, which I own).

Select "Network Socket" in Indigo 7 z-wave config and fill out the text box with "socket://", followed by the IP address of your Z-NET, followed by ":2001" (which is the TCP port used by ser2net on the Z-NET)

So, if your Z-NET's IP address is 192.168.1.99, you would type:

socket://192.168.1.99:2001

Enjoy!
        Last edited by cesarvog; July 27, 2018, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cesarvog View Post
          Indigo 7 works flawlessly with the Z-NET (working here with a Z-NET based on the RaspberryPi 2, which I own).

Select "Network Socket" in Indigo 7 z-wave config and fill out the text box with "socket:", followed by the IP address of your Z-NET, followed by ":2001" (which is the TCP port used by ser2net on the Z-NET)

So, if your Z-NET's IP address is 192.168.1.99, you would type:

socket://192.168.1.99:2001

Enjoy!
          I did not know this. Thanks!
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X