DS10A puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS10A puzzle

I use a DS10A to monitor my mailbox. (It's at the end of a long driveway.) A few days ago we began to get false triggers several times each day.

Since I limited the trigger to hours when a delivery was likely, I was curious to see if the false triggers occurred at other times as well. I added an event to record any change in the value of the HS device associated with the DS10 and discovered that it went to 'Alert' about once an hour. A more quantitative analysis revealed something more surprising:
    Yesterday it had gone to 'Alert' every hour and 4 minutes and 46 seconds with a std dev of 40 sec.
    Starting just before midnight and so far today, it's been every hour and 14 minutes and 21 seconds with a std dev of 1.6 sec!
    Needless to say, I will be replacing the DS10, but I'm curious if anyone has any idea what may be causing this.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Here over the last 9-10 years used two DS10A's and a few palm pads connecting to two W800's (one on the main floor and attic of a two story home).

Never had false positives on the DS10's. One was used for a Rainbird rain sensor sponge and the other was used as a laundry room window sensor.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Low Battery?
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows 10 vmware)
      BLOccupied:,UltraNetCam3:,weatherXML:,RFXCOM:,Current Cost 3P:,UltraGCIR3:
      DMMQTT:,Kodi:,Z-Wave:,BLRadar:,EasyTrigger:,MySensors:,BLBackup:

Comment

Originally posted by dmurphy View Post
        Low Battery?
        I've never seen that behavior with low battery, but I did check the batteries when I replaced the DS10. They were still in very good shape.

FWIW, the new DS10 is performing normally, so it does not appear to be a problem with another component. Seems pretty clear that it was something to do with the DS10. (I'll never know, though. It's on its way to a landfill. )
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Don't they have a heartbeat to alert battery level and general connectivity?
          Maybe something changed in your HS setup where it is triggering because of the receiver side?

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

DS10A puzzle

I have used 25-30 DS10s over the past 5-10 years. I have seen 3-4 units that behaved erratically. When I replaced them the problems went away. I think there are many factors that affect signal strength and I think some units are better than others. I am certain that distance between the DS10 and the receiver is a critical factor. The farther apart, the less reliable.

Maybe a different technology like z-wave would work better.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Without hijacking this thread, can the DS12A be used as readily as the DS10 or is there something significantly different about it?

Comment

There are two differences that I can think of.
                One is that the DS12 uses AAA batteries. I find there are some applications where they appear to have less radio range than a DS10, which uses AA.
                The other is that a DS12 can monitor two contact closures independently, so registering them to the plug-in requires a bit more care to assign the codes correctly.

Comment

Working...
                X