Google Earth/KML and some info on improving functionality using Tasker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Earth/KML and some info on improving functionality using Tasker

I've had your plugin working for a couple of weeks now - I love it! Thanks so much for this.

I thought I'd post a solution that I found to enhance the functionality with android phones and also a question regarding use of the dynamic mapping.

So first off - would you mind giving an example of how to use dynamic mapping? ie how do I generate a map of where all users are at any given moment. I tried using the Type 1 request but got no response (can the user in the request be a backitude user?) and I tried using the Type 2 request but just got some XML back. Also - is there a simple way to query how far a user is from the HS3 server?

Second I wanted to post on using Tasker to enhance the use of your plugin.

I found that backitude updates were not adequate for things like knowing when you're home in time to turn off alarms or whatever. I just wasn't happy with the update frequencey of backitude. More often than not I was already in the door before backitude let phLocation know. The only solution I found was making the 'near' distance much greater than I wanted in order to be found to be 'near' early enough to be useful

By having Tasker take care of it, though, you can greatly enhance your flexibility.

On Reddit I found this set of instructions for a task to fire backitude

Create a new task, and add 3 intents (Misc -> Send Intent):

Action: FIRE_ACTION_UPDATE_FROM_WIDGET
    Package: gaugler.backitude
    Class: gaugler.backitude.widget.FireWidget
    Target: Broadcast Receiver

Action: FIRE_ACTION_WIDGET_UPDATE_FROM_ACTIVITY

Action: android.appwidget.action.APPWIDGET_UPDATE

So once you have backitude set up and Tasker installed you simply disable the backitude service from the settings screen and then create a Backitude 'fire update' widget somewhere on one of your screens. The Tasker task above will cause that widget to fire and send an update to phLocation.

Next I created a task that triggers the above task at a specific interval. In my case I created a simple loop based on whether or not my phone was connected to the WiFi in my home or office.

The loop just checks if wifi is connected and if it is then it waits 600 seconds before firing backitude. If it's between midnight and 7am and the phone is charging then I'm asleep so it doesn't fire backitude at all. If wifi is NOT connected then it assumes I'm away from home and waits only 20 seconds to fire backitude. You can, of course, change these values, add conditions to suit your lifestyle etc. etc. This saves your battery and improves your location accuracy dramatically.

I haven't played with it yet but if you add the autolocation module to Tasker you can detect if you're driving, walking, or stationary and modify your update interval to suit. My new android isn't rooted (and I'm not going to root this one) but if you ARE then you could use the secure settings plugin and Tasker to turn GPS off completely when your phone knows you're home and save even more battery power.

If anyone is interested in seeing my Tasker task for this I can post it. I think it's a worthwhile addition to phLocation (and to HS3 if you use autoremote)

mark

It's been a long time since I played about with the Google kml stuff. This was originally done for a specific user who asked for it so I'll need to have another look over it before giving you any tips.

Personally I use a combination of EgiGeoZone and Tasker on my Android device with the plug-in.

Put simply:
    When I leave home, EgiGeoZone tells Tasker to turn on a profile that sends my current location every 15 minutes. When I arrive home it switches off that profile, waits 2 minutes and updates my current location.

I also use Tasker to emulate EgiGeoZone fences and have it update when I'm connected to some BlueTooth devices. So when my phone connects to one of our cars, HS3 is updated with which car I'm in.

The reality is that my Tasker tasks are quite complex because I have it set up so that it sends the most recent location regardless if this is GPS or Network based. I also have it reduce or pause the update frequency on various conditions.

Paul..

Comment

Tasker is great. It just keeps getting better too. I've been refining the way it works with your plug in regularly and the two are a perfect fit.

Some of the new additions for Tasker have been great too. Autoremote has been allowing me to relay SMS messages from HS3 through my phone to other family members. I've also got an event in HS3 that sends the current location data from a phlocation user via autoremote. The autoremote plugin trips a profile which runs a task that opens a map with the location info from HS3 so I get an instant readout of where that user is.

mark

Comment

Working...
      X