This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to manually distribute a plugin for testing

There may be times when a plugin author wants to distribute their plugin for beta testers. If the plugin is not a single EXE file it could be difficult to install manually. HS3 allows for the manual install of plugins.

1) Give your users a special updates file named updater_override.txt. The user saves this file in their HS3 application folder.

2) Give them your ZIP package, this is the same package that you will submit to HomeSeer for the updater. Have them save this file in the HS3 application folder /updates3/zips.

3) In HS3, go to the interfaces page and click the "Update Listing" button. You should only see the updates that are in the override file, normally just one. Check the update and install. It will install from the local zip.

A sample updater_override.txt file is attached to this post.

In the override file, just change the name of the update, and the zip file name.

To go back to normal updates, delete the updater_override.txt file.
    Attached Files
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

For this to work, it looks like you need to set "Server" and "Srv Loc" columns to "local" and "ZIPS", right? This is missing in the example you attached.

Comment

No, that sample I posted was used for testing, so that one works.

Originally posted by spud View Post
      For this to work, it looks like you need to set "Server" and "Srv Loc" columns to "local" and "ZIPS", right? This is missing in the example you attached.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
        No, that sample I posted was used for testing, so that one works.
        weird, it doesn't work for me if I don't add "local, ZIPS", I got the following error:
        Error downloading file: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

Comment

Right, I must have grabbed the wrong file, I re-uploaded a file that works. You do need the "local" added, but the "ZIPS" is not needed.

Originally posted by spud View Post
          weird, it doesn't work for me if I don't add "local, ZIPS", I got the following error:
          Error downloading file: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

Comment

Does this work with Linux systems? The file I'm using on my Windows box to test a new plugin works fine, but I get "Please wait for the updater control file failed to be downloaded or parsed." on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
              Does this work with Linux systems? The file I'm using on my Windows box to test a new plugin works fine, but I get "Please wait for the updater control file failed to be downloaded or parsed." on Linux.
              In case anyone else runs into this, the file parsing in HS expects this .txt file to be delimited with \r\n (Windows style), but most file copy programs automatically transfer .txt files as text, resulting in a conversion to \n (Unix style), which can't be parsed by HS.

Comment

updater_override.txt not working for linux

is anything else seeing this issue?

http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=3251

Comment

Originally posted by SmarterControl View Post

Most new bugs are not visible to others:

"You are not authorized to access bug #3251."

Cheers
                  Al
                  HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Bugzilla will not show bug details. I have updater_override.txt working in Linux - what issue are you seeing?
                    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                      Bugzilla will not show bug details. I have updater_override.txt working in Linux - what issue are you seeing?

Sorry was not aware no one else could see the bug. The issue is, I have created a test updater_override.txt in Windows and it works perfectly fine, when I try the same on Linux it seems to just ignore it and continue to display the original updater.txt file

Comment

The only things that come to mind:
                        Make sure it is spelled correctly and all lower-case.
                        It must appear in the root HS3 folder (/usr/local/HomeSeer/updater_override.txt).
                        Use WinSCP to transfer the file ensuring Windows CR/LF gets mapped to LF.
                        Inside the updater_override.txt, you must set the UC to 63 (Windows and Linux).
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Sorry was not aware no one else could see the bug. The issue is, I have created a test updater_override.txt in Windows and it works perfectly fine, when I try the same on Linux it seems to just ignore it and continue to display the original updater.txt file
                          Make sure you transfer it using binary mode; HS assumes the file has the standard Windows CR+LF line endings.

Comment

Rich are you going to put in a better method for this? This reminds me of how we did things in the days of Windows 3.1, even Win95 killed this manual copy stuff.

How about having the Developer Mode have an option we can browse for the TXT file and HS does an automatic install of that plugin without needing to do a manual copy (local access to the HS server) and without needing to do several steps to install, remove file, and refresh to get it back the normal plugin list.

And while I'm asking for basic stuff... search feature for the plugin screen?

Comment

Any update on this ? It's indeed a bit of a pain to create ...

Comment

Working...
                              X