Fences and places and devices, oh my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fences and places and devices, oh my

So Now that I have my 2 iCloud accounts, and two iDevices set up, and I have beacons working thru GeoFency, I'm finding that I have a ton of devices. Some of them do similar things. I'm finding that I can determine "home" per device by beacon, or fence, or position, or known place. I'm thinking thru whether I should even keep the multiple methods enabled.

It's probably also worth noting that I currently have two other methods still enabled as well to determine location. Those didn't work as well in the first place, so that's why I started using this plugin. One method is using the FindMyFriends app on our two phones to send emails to HS when we arrive or leave certain locations. The emails would get processed by the Jon00 email script and trigger specific events for each fence crossing. This is a challenge to maintain because all fences need to be set up on each phone, then email handlers set up in the email script, then scripts set up to act on the emails that were received. We've also found that the FindMyFriends app often misses the fence events and never sends the emails.
    The other method I've been using is with IFTTT. I've got location recipes that set a device when it enters or leaves an area. Those are more reliable than the FindMyFriends method. But because it relies on myHS for the homeseer connection, it has it's quirks and misses.

So the bottom line is that I'm looking to get rid of both IFTTT and FindMyFriends based location feeds for my homeseer system and replace them with the PHLocation plugin and geofency. I'm just looking to solicit advice and lessons learned from others who may have gone thru this process. What to keep and why. Which to use for what kind of sensing and triggers.
Working...
X