Clear All

Mixing Audio and Video across multiple zones

tldr:
    6 HDMI Inputs
    3 TVs with separate receivers, additional 10 Audio Zones
    Need any input to play on any output
    Looking at 6x8 HDMI matrix attached to a 6x12 audio matrix
    Any ideas?

I just moved into a house and definitely have the itch to start playing w/ Home Automation. Got some light switches and some snazzy scripts to control them, so now it's time to start thinking about audio/video.

As of now the input sources are scattered across 2 locations in the house. We're beginning a remodel and I'll be relocating them to a media closet. Currently I've got 5 input sources, but would like to have room for 6. As of now it's 2 Chromecasts, 2 cableboxes and a PS4. I'd like these inputs to be able to be shared in any zone. A perfect example is so I could watch TV in the family room and listen to it in the kitchen and outside while my wife listens to Pandora via Chromecast in the Nursery.

The house currently has speakers in 5 zones, although I'd like to add a few additional zones. The end goal would be 7 indoor zones and 3 outdoor zones. There are also 3 TVs that should be fed from the sources mentioned. These zones will have dedicated receivers and speakers to power them. If I want to blast some music, I'll use the family room receiver with it's big *** speakers and sub. I wouldn't mind starting w/ 6 zones and expanding from there.

As to controlling, we don't want keypads, or at least we don't think we do. Do we? I don't even think we want to use our phones. I'd like to control via Google Home, Alexa, or a separate remote control via Z-Wave. Maybe double tap a light switch to turn on/off/switch inputs. I can handle the scripting behind this, just need to ensure the matrices can be controlled via IR/RS-232.

One part I'm completely clueless about is how much power the speakers might need. The indoor zones I mentioned all are ceiling speakers in 8' walls. Is 20w enough to power something like them? I don't plan on cranking these zones to loud volumes, they're more for background music. I realize the outdoor speakers might need more power and wouldn't be opposed to giving them their own amps.

So from what I've gathered I'm going to need some expensive stuff. Seems like I'll need a 6x8 matrix just for video. 3 of the outputs will control my 3 receivers & TVs. The other 5 outputs will be hooked up to an audio matrix. [edit I just realized things like the cablebox have separate lineouts and I can probably use some HDMI audio extractors to minimize the number of needed HDMI outputs]. I realize I'm short an input on the audio side, but I don't think I'll ever need the PS4 to play on anything but one of the TVs. So that's kinda convenient. Which means that the audio matrix will need to support at least 6 zones with the hope that it can support 10, or be expandable so I can daisy chain a second one to it.

I've spent most of my time looking at an audio matrix. It's a good starting point for me without having to go all-in. I've looked at Russound's CAA-66, MCA-66 and MCA-88. I've also seen HTD's MCA-66 and Lync12 systems. Any others I should look at?

As for video, I'm looking for something that can do 4K w/ HDR (HDMI 2.0a). I've been thinking of trying a pure HDMI over IP solution but would also be comfortable w/ a true HDMI matrix. But damn, these buggers are expensive for something that'll do 6x8. I've thought about daisy chaining some switches and splitters together, but I think that might be more of a mess than it'll save money-wise.

So... does this sound crazy? Anyone have any tips? I know this ain't going to be cheap, but I'm also hoping to not blow the bank on it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by holmes; February 4, 2017, 11:12 AM.

I don't have the answer but I have the same question too. I'm wondering if this is possible. hope anyone can give an answer to this

Comment

We are in a time of transition from the old days of dedicated centralized AV systems (Russound, Crestron, etc..) to a more software driven model where Android and Apple and Amazon are the dominant players, and dedicated hardware items like keypads and HDMI switches are now being replaced by software driven players and control all connected by ethernet and WiFi.

You can err on the old side and face challenges, or on the new side and face different challenges, but I'd err on the new side because it's going to get better and better and you'll have fewer compromises in the future, and get the benefit of voice command integration etc...

So for audio, I'd take the speakers in your rooms and connect them to a dayton or monoprice amplifier system, and drive them all from chromecast audio dongles, all connected by ethernet. Pretty much any app can now stream through chromecasts, and you can use Google home devices in other rooms that may not have speakers.

You can control all this from your tablets or phones, but if you want dedicated controls in each room, I'd recommend buying a cheap Verizon prepaid phones (Best Buy had the Moto G4 for sale at $35 last week), and configuring them as wifi only devices, maybe add some wireless charging, and use the AppLock app on them to control what apps can be run etc... Leave them in each room and you've got a great AV remote control.

For video, it depends on what you use for TV programming. Something like Android TV running on an Nvidia shield can pretty much play back anything, can be cast to just like a chromecast, and put one on each TV and forget about the switch. Plex runs really well on the shield, and can play back ripped movies, and even has DVR support if you are OTA or cable.

If you like linear TV, Android TV has a bunch of client apps than can talk to a central DVR via ethernet, but you could also put a IP connected STB on each TV that can talk to a whole house DVR system. Pretty much everyone supports this sort of model now, so no need to run coax or switch HDMI.

The messy thing that doesn't work exactly well is taking audio from a TV and routing it to the chromecast audio dongles that feed the speakers in that room. Not a big deal if both are feeding an AV receiver (in which case I'd use a harmony hub and control it via the smartphones), but if that doesn't exist, you kind of have to kludge switching today using a the RCA inputs on the monoprice WHA amp and switch there or something more complicated like the Xantech that just looks for audio on the input from the TV (which you can remote over CAT5 with a balun) and switch the source from the chromcast audio to the TV when it's active.

I suspect with HS working with Google on Google Home integration a lot of this will become more straightforward soon, but I would err on this side of the tech divide, particularly if you are comfortable with software.

thx
      mike

Comment

Working...
      X