How can I read scheduled setpoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I read scheduled setpoint

Here is what I want to do. When we leave the house, it turns the heating down, I am sending a manual setpoint change to my Horstman thermostat, I send a setpoint of 18. Upon our return, I would like to read the current schedule setpoint corresponding with the time. I have various schedules depending on outside temperatures, time etc. So it would be easiest when the house state changes to home to read the setpoint in BLStat, and then send that to the thermostat to change it back to what it should be.
    Is that possible ?

How about a virtual device that stores the value from the schedule and gets updated every time the schedule changes. Then use Spud's EasyTrigger to set the real set point to the virtual device value when the house changes and becomes 'home'
    cheeryfool

Comment

Why not use BLStat schedules? Use an event to load an "away" schedule when you leave, then load a "home" schedule when you return. Wen you load a schedule the set points will change. We use multiple work, home, away and vacation schedules and load them all with events. We also have a thermostat in each of 8 zones that get schedules loaded. We don't control set points independly, it is all with schedules.

A temperature can be overridden locally and options in BLStat determine when it returns to schedule.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        Why not use BLStat schedules? Use an event to load an "away" schedule when you leave, then load a "home" schedule when you return. Wen you load a schedule the set points will change. We use multiple work, home, away and vacation schedules and load them all with events. We also have a thermostat in each of 8 zones that get schedules loaded. We don't control set points independly, it is all with schedules.

A temperature can be overridden locally and options in BLStat determine when it returns to schedule.
        Never thought about that, but I think that would the easiest option, if it wasn't for the way I determine the schedule. Every morning at 4 am I take outside and inside temperatures (in future version I will also take the weather forecast min and max temperatures into account) to determine which schedule to load. I have (so far) 4 schedules for the main thermostat, off, mornings only, mornings and evenings, cold and very cold. Problem is now obviously when we come home during the day. So maybe setting a (another) virtual device as cheeryfool suggested is the best option. I am just reluctant to create a mass of virtual devices.
        @rprade How exactly do you solve this problem, how do you control your schedules ?

Comment

We use two virtual devices. The first is scheduling with 5 values - vacation, non-work, work early, work-mid and work-late. The second virtual device is home/away. The scheduling device is set manually, but may be controlled by a Google calendar at some point. The home/away is controlled by a combination of geo fences and/or security system status.

Heating, lighting and power are controlled by a combination of the two devices. Events look for either of those two devices to change, then a series of nested events take care of scheduling changes based upon the combination of the two. When the home/awaygoes to away, it loads away schedules for all scheduling values except for vacation. Vacation mode assumes we are away. When the home/away device changes to home the heat, light and power schedules for the scheduling device get loaded. National holidays are automatically handled, taking the work schedule to non-work. After the holiday the system returns to the schedule that was in place before the holiday.

There is a third virtual device that adjusts heating schedules for recovery time based upon outside temperatures. If it is below 20F outside heating schedules are adjusted for the longer recovery from setbacks. This device is also monitored for change and schedules are reevaluated accordingly.

All we do is set the schedule, all other changes are automatic.

There are 30 BLStat schedules that can be loaded to any of the 8 thermostats based upon all of the variables.

Comment

That's quite complex and not sure how I can transfer that to my needs. But I have found a solution. I am using a virtual switch to be able to manually change schedules. I have now created a Away schedule which does not change the virtual switch, so when I come back it just loads the schedule in the virtual switch again.
            I like the idea of the house knowing when its a public holiday. How do you do that ?

Comment

Because I use a set of legal holidays as well as the "observe" day of that holiday for work scheduling I use a set of events that employ the proper rules. While I want the actual holiday in the system, there are also rules as to whether it is a work holiday and if so, what weekday is used for work. I posted about it here, though it has evolved somewhat since that start.

This set of events lets me know if tomorrow is a work holiday for the purposes of "bedtime" for the house, then moves holiday tomorrow to holiday today at midnight. They also take care of storing the current occupancy mode (non-work, work-early, work-mid, work-late), changing the occupancy schedule to non-work, then returning to the original occupancy schedule after the holiday. There is a second holiday device that is used for other than scheduling which is set for every holiday we observe or need to know about in the household.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.png
Views:	1
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1186312

Comment

Ok so you enter the holidays manually in a sort of calendar which you then check with your virtual devices. I am going to read the thread you have linked to, I like that idea. These holidays are normally when the heating comes on to early, and goes off to early etc which can be a little annoying. And we have clever systems so why not use them to their full capacity...
                I also like that you have the device ref in your device list, very useful. I'll have to see how to do that, again, very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                  Ok so you enter the holidays manually in a sort of calendar which you then check with your virtual devices. I am going to read the thread you have linked to, I like that idea. These holidays are normally when the heating comes on to early, and goes off to early etc which can be a little annoying. And we have clever systems so why not use them to their full capacity...
                  I also like that you have the device ref in your device list, very useful. I'll have to see how to do that, again, very useful.
                  The device RefID can be shown with a selection on the Custom setup page. It does reset when the system is restarted, but it is useful when editing events.

Comment

I have noticed a problem with my setup, maybe you have an idea of how to get around it.
                    My heating schedule is loaded, and stored in a virtual switch. We leave the house, a away schedule is loaded and also the setpoint changed to 18 degrees so I do not have to wait for the next schedule change for the setpoint to be set. This does not alter the schedule stored in the virtual switch. So far so good.
                    One of us comes home, the previous schedule still stored in the virtual switch, which is then loaded. The problem is now, that the setpoint will not change back to what it should be until the next change in the schedule. How can I get around that ? Any ideas ?

Comment

I have noticed a problem with my setup, maybe you have an idea of how to get around it.
                      My heating schedule is loaded, and stored in a virtual switch. We leave the house, a away schedule is loaded and also the setpoint changed to 18 degrees so I do not have to wait for the next schedule change for the setpoint to be set. This does not alter the schedule stored in the virtual switch. So far so good.
                      One of us comes home, the previous schedule still stored in the virtual switch, which is then loaded. The problem is now, that the setpoint will not change back to what it should be until the next change in the schedule. How can I get around that ? Any ideas ?
                      I guess I don't understand how you are "storing the schedule in a virtual switch". Are you using BLStat?

With BLStat, when you load a schedule from an event it immediately uses the new schedule. There is no need to store a schedule, they are all created in BLStat. When you are away, you would load the "Away" schedule and when you return you would load the "Home" schedule. You can use a change in the Home/Away virtual device to load the schedules stored in the plug-in.

If I am completely missing what you are trying to do, post screenshots or complete descriptions of your events.

Comment

I didnt explain that very well. I use BLStat for all my TRV's and for my main thermostat. The main thermostat is what I am trying to control here. There are 5 shedules for it in BLStat, and I have a virtual switch which has 5 of them on there for a manual selection. So just in case I want to manually change a schedule for the main thermostat I can easily do it by selecting the desired schedule on the virtual switch. Also, whenever BLStat changes the schedule (this is driven by a script taking temperature readings etc), it changes the virtual switch to the schedule currently used. So I can see what schedule is loaded currently in my virtual switch, this is what I meant by 'stored'. When I load the away schedule, my virtual switch does not change as away does not change the virtual switch. So that way I know what schedule was loaded before the away, so its easy to reload when the house changes to 'Home'.
                        Now the problem. Away sets the main thermostat to 18 degrees. Always. When I return home, depending on time of year, time of day temperature etc the setpoint before could have been 14, 18, 20 or 21. It will automatically load the schedule which was loaded before 'Away'. That migh mean the current setpoint should be for example 20. Will that load that setpoint as soon as the new schedule is loaded, or will it wait until the next setpoint change in the schedule ?
                        Attached Files

Comment

I didnt explain that very well. I use BLStat for all my TRV's and for my main thermostat. The main thermostat is what I am trying to control here. There are 5 shedules for it in BLStat, and I have a virtual switch which has 5 of them on there for a manual selection. So just in case I want to manually change a schedule for the main thermostat I can easily do it by selecting the desired schedule on the virtual switch. Also, whenever BLStat changes the schedule (this is driven by a script taking temperature readings etc), it changes the virtual switch to the schedule currently used. So I can see what schedule is loaded currently in my virtual switch, this is what I meant by 'stored'. When I load the away schedule, my virtual switch does not change as away does not change the virtual switch. So that way I know what schedule was loaded before the away, so its easy to reload when the house changes to 'Home'.
                          Now the problem. Away sets the main thermostat to 18 degrees. Always. When I return home, depending on time of year, time of day temperature etc the setpoint before could have been 14, 18, 20 or 21. It will automatically load the schedule which was loaded before 'Away'. That migh mean the current setpoint should be for example 20. Will that load that setpoint as soon as the new schedule is loaded, or will it wait until the next setpoint change in the schedule ?
                          Then when you are away, load an away schedule with the reduced temperature to the main thermostat and when you return load whatever schedule is selected in your Heating Schedule virtual device.

Comment

ok and that will load the appropriate setpoint straight away ?

Comment

ok and that will load the appropriate setpoint straight away ?
                              It does in my system.

Comment

Working...
                              X