Door lock recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    Interesting. Z-Wave plus might make it more reliable on communication, but that is not a given.
    I thought the same thing but apparently that's not true. Our technical contact at the Z-Wave Alliance says that S2 encryption would make the biggest change since it drastically reduces the amount of communication necessary to activate the lock. Unfortunately, there are no S2 locks at the moment. We used to carry all brands of locks in our store but narrowed our offering down to Schlage based on customer feedback.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
      I thought the same thing but apparently that's not true. Our technical contact at the Z-Wave Alliance says that S2 encryption would make the biggest change since it drastically reduces the amount of communication necessary to activate the lock. Unfortunately, there are no S2 locks at the moment. We used to carry all brands of locks in our store but narrowed our offering down to Schlage based on customer feedback.
      Thanks Mark.

I was curious why you only carry Schlage. Assuming from the reply above, Schlage provides the same information as Bob showed Kwikset provides. Is that a correct assumption?

The first couple I want to install are within 20 feet of my controller, so I would guess communication would not be a problem.

I don’t see any handlesets in the store. I am guessing they can be purchased separately, but I haven’t found them. This is the set my wife wants.
      Last edited by randy; October 28, 2017, 11:00 AM.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by GaryFunk View Post
        Schlage reports which user.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes. Confirmed. Though for me, my old BE369, is the one I have never been able to set codes from HomeSeer on. Plenty of others have not had this problem. My old Kwikset, which is the motorised one, reports user and I can program codes from HomeSeer
        cheeryfool

Comment

Thanks Mark.

I was curious why you only carry Schlage. Assuming from the reply above, Schlage provides the same information as Bob showed Kwikset provides. Is that a correct assumption?

The first couple I want to install are within 20 feet of my controller, so I would guess communication would not be a problem.

I don’t see any handlesets in the store. I am guessing they can be purchased separately, but I haven’t found them. This is the set my wife wants.
          User codes are changed in the settings and yes they are reported when the door is opened by a specific user code... at least we report "User code 4" or "User code 10", etc.. You do have track the personal information separately (Timmy is User code 4, for example). We only carry locks; no handle sets. I think we can get them though. If you send me the model numbers, I can look into it.

Generally speaking, we've shed a lot of 3rd party inventory in favor of beefing up our "HomeSeer" branded products. We do still carry some products from other manufacturers but we're taking a 'best of breed' approach now and we're doing this to fill gaps in our offerings.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

This is the set my wife wants.

I have the camelot version of that set.
            Here are a couple of images. First is the parent and child devices created for the deadbolt. The second is the Status Graphics for the Access Control Notification device. If you want to see any of the other child devices let me know.

It does report which user code slot was entered. Ex. for me it will show "User Code 1 entered". What I did so that I could have a device for HSTouch that had the users name was create a virtual device with the status graphics that says "Jeff has entered the front door" and repeated it for all of my family members. Events based on the lock device keeps the virtual device in sync. When I am in my office it speaks and tells me who has entered which door. I have a schlage lever lock on the door from the garage door into the house. That one does not have as many features.
            Attached Files
            --
            Jeff Farmer
            HS 3, HSPhone
            My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
            Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

I really like the Kwikset deadbolts. In one door, I have a Kwikset deadbolt and a non-locking lever. In my other doors, I have. Kwikset deadbolt and a Schlegel lever lock. It just so happened that in those doors, there is enough room for a Kwikset deadbolt and a Schlage lever lock (but not enough room for a Kwikset deadbolt and a Kwikset lever lock). It just so happened that they both fit the existing holes in my doors, one right above the other.

If I had to choose one or the other, I would go for the Kwikset deadbolt instead of Schlage deadbolt.

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                I have the camelot version of that set.
                Here are a couple of images. First is the parent and child devices created for the deadbolt. The second is the Status Graphics for the Access Control Notification device. If you want to see any of the other child devices let me know.

It does report which user code slot was entered. Ex. for me it will show "User Code 1 entered". What I did so that I could have a device for HSTouch that had the users name was create a virtual device with the status graphics that says "Jeff has entered the front door" and repeated it for all of my family members. Events based on the lock device keeps the virtual device in sync. When I am in my office it speaks and tells me who has entered which door. I have a schlage lever lock on the door from the garage door into the house. That one does not have as many features.
                I have HS3 + Z-NET Z-Wave Plus interface (wired Ethernet) + Schlahe BE469 deadbolt.

I have tried all day to get it to pair, I did this even before I installed the lock. The lockset is this sitting about five feet from the Z-Net and it will pair, but if fails on the security authentication process and will not expose any of the variables / options.

Help?!!

PS this is my first device that I've tried to add that has given me trouble. If I can fill in the rest of the config by manually entering device codes or something, any help appreciated and I will be buying 5-10x minimum of the Schleges. Ultimately more like 20x (commercial building).

Comment

We finally purchased a Schlage BE469 deadbolt. This device included without error and has a direct 10 foot path to the Z-Net. The routing is direct to the Z-Net. This lock is horrendously unreliable at unlocking (mostly) and locking (occasionally). It has not missed an update from a manual lock of keypad lock/unlock, but it misses about half of the unlock commands from HS. It has missed a couple of lock commands. The error in the log is generic

Nov-27 10:45:41 AM Z-Wave Error Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Locks Living Room Front Door Lock Lock

I am curious if anyone else is having similar problems. Schlage's answer is that it is my Z-Wave controller, but I am not immediately willing to accept it. I am really not having any other problems with my network. The Z-Net this lock is included with has 90 other nodes and was too busy to work with Remotec ZRC-90US remotes. See this thread. Since the lock is not a secondary controller i wouldn't think network size would be an issue.

If I am going to continue living in the same house with my wife, I have to get this working reliably. If I tell her it will unlock for her when she gets home, it darn sure needs to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by fksk View Post
                    I have HS3 + Z-NET Z-Wave Plus interface (wired Ethernet) + Schlahe BE469 deadbolt.

I have tried all day to get it to pair, I did this even before I installed the lock. The lockset is this sitting about five feet from the Z-Net and it will pair, but if fails on the security authentication process and will not expose any of the variables / options.

Help?!!

PS this is my first device that I've tried to add that has given me trouble. If I can fill in the rest of the config by manually entering device codes or something, any help appreciated and I will be buying 5-10x minimum of the Schleges. Ultimately more like 20x (commercial building).
                    Mine included quickly and easily, but is not reliable at responding to commands. Did you get yours working?

Comment

We finally purchased a Schlage BE469 deadbolt. This device included without error and has a direct 10 foot path to the Z-Net. The routing is direct to the Z-Net. This lock is horrendously unreliable at unlocking (mostly) and locking (occasionally). It has not missed an update from a manual lock of keypad lock/unlock, but it misses about half of the unlock commands from HS. It has missed a couple of lock commands. The error in the log is generic

Nov-27 10:45:41 AM Z-Wave Error Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Locks Living Room Front Door Lock Lock

I am curious if anyone else is having similar problems. Schlage's answer is that it is my Z-Wave controller, but I am not immediately willing to accept it. I am really not having any other problems with my network. The Z-Net this lock is included with has 90 other nodes and was too busy to work with Remotec ZRC-90US remotes. See this thread. Since the lock is not a secondary controller i wouldn't think network size would be an issue.

If I am going to continue living in the same house with my wife, I have to get this working reliably. If I tell her it will unlock for her when she gets home, it darn sure needs to do it.

Comment

I have this problem with my Yale lock. It happens very rarely but does happen. What I have noticed is that if immediately after the error the command is repeated, everything recovers and may then function correctly for many days. And so, my solution (obviously not perfect) is to send to commands, 60 seconds apart.

Comment

Randy,

Did you ever get your lock issue resolved?

Like you, I'm thinking on getting a lock and am looking for the one which works best with HS3.

Robert
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                            Randy,

Did you ever get your lock issue resolved?

Like you, I'm thinking on getting a lock and am looking for the one which works best with HS3.

Robert
                            They are working.

They will lock and unlock by HomeSeer. You just need to be careful not to send repeated commands too quickly.

I had to add a bunch of values to Status Graphics manually in order to get full reporting.

The device status is updated when locked and unlocked manually or by keypad. When locked by the keypad it will show the user code (1-40) as long as a code is used. If locked by the Schlage button (if enabled) it will show "unlocked by keypad" but the status does go to locked.

When unlocked by the keypad it shows the user code. Events can be triggered when locked or unlocked by user code.

When locked or unlocked manually or with a key, it shows manual lock/unlock operation.

It does not indicate in the device if locked or unlocked by Z-Wave, though the lock status does report.

I have not been getting any errors, the status is accurate, sometimes with a few seconds delay.

The bolt motor has plenty of torque and it will report a jam or failure.

I don't know about battery life, they still show 100% after a month.

They are both Schlage BE469 deadbolts. I put non locking handlesets on both doors.

I found one area of concern. Unfortunately I didn't take photos. I wanted to get them keyed the same. The lock cylinder is held in the outdoor housing with a large screw in a flimsy piece of plastic. I think a slide hammer threaded into the lock will pop it out easily. Once the lock is out, the deadbolt could be operated with a screwdriver. I may get some photos later. I don't know if other locks have this weakness, but these do.

I am happy with their function WRT Z-Wave, but cannot recommend them based on the cylinder retention frailty. I will probably keep these locks in place, but I will send photos to Schlage showing the weakness to see if a metal part could be used instead of plastic. I will also see if I can "re-engineer" the cylinder retainer.

Comment

Thanks Randy. Great information!

Robert
                              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

@ Randy,

To be honest just about every lock on the market can be bumped almost as quickly as using the proper key. There's really no need to yank barrels out with a slide hammer since lock bumping was discovered.
                                Originally posted by rprade
                                There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Working...
                                X