XAP800 & PZM-11 Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XAP800 & PZM-11 Wiring

Ok, after some research on this board, it seems many have found success using a ClearOne XAP800 with some Crown PZM-11 mics for HomeSeer Voice Recognition. I couldn't however, find clear documentation on wiring the PZM-11 to the XAP800 and to the PC. What I have done is the following, but could not get the mics to be recognized in HS3.

1. Wire the PZM-11 to the XAP800 input1 according to the image below (Using a Cat5 cable and using orange pairs for +, the blue pairs for -, and the green pairs for ground)

2. Wire a stripped stereo cable from the XAP800 output1 to the PC Line In (same connections to the Phoenix, Red to the left, Black in the middle and Shield to the right)

I made sure that the MICs & Output were not muted on the XAP800. When I connected the mic, I did see the signal meter drop to around -4 (from -80), so I thought I was on the right track. Also don't see the mic light on the XAP800 when connected.

Any help out there on this setup?

-Devon
    Attached Files

Set a pair of headphones to the output of the mic and start adjusting until hear hear everything clear but not loud.
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Did you make also the connection between the mic and output in the matrix?

I did some extensive writing on my blog about how to setup a XAP800 and how to setup for VR

The VR part
      http://www.zoelen.net/ZMCVRpart1.htm

The general part starts here
      http://www.zoelen.net/ZMC.htm
      - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
      HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
      PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

I did some extensive writing on my blog about how to setup a XAP800 and how to setup for VR

The VR part
        http://www.zoelen.net/ZMCVRpart1.htm

The general part starts here
        http://www.zoelen.net/ZMC.htm
        Wow....great write up AshaiRey, I'll go over it this weekend. I did not make a connection between the mic (Input1) and Output1 in the XAP800. I'm assuming this is done via G-Ware? I just did basic setup via the front panel. Is this setup in the blog?

Comment

Quick question, does anyone know how to reset/clear the passcode on an AP800? My brother bought one on eBay and can't figure out how to clear it.

Comment

Most commands are the same for the AP and the XAP so.

For the XAP800 this is found in the manual at pag 107
            Using G-Ware
            Appendices
            ~ Appendix E: Serial Commands

FPP - Front Panel Passcode
            Command form: DEVICE
            FPP <char1><char2><char3><char4><char5>

Button assignment
            Value Button represented
            1 Up arrow button
            2 Enter button
            3 ESC button
            4 Down arrow button
            5 Meter button
            Argument details
            Name Description
            FPP Command form
            CLEAR will clear the passcode
            Null will return current passcode
            Example:
            #55 FPP 12345
            On XAP 800 unit 5 (#55), the front panel passcode

(
            FPP) is set to Up Arrow (1), Enter (2), Esc (3), Down Arrow (4), Meter (5).
            - Bram

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
            HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
            PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Btw, you can do this also via G-Ware connected to the unit
              Connect to the unit
              Select in the dropdown box Units and then Unit properties
              On the 3th tab called security you can change/clear the password.
              - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Btw, you can do this also via G-Ware connected to the unit
                Connect to the unit
                Select in the dropdown box Units and then Unit properties
                On the 3th tab called security you can change/clear the password.
                Got it....Trying this now. Thanks again.

Comment

Success!!!!

I was able to get the XAP800 wired up and running. The wiring from the speaker was easy as it's a balanced input. From the PC, I took a 1/8 stereo cable, cut/stripped one end, then wired it similar to the mic; red,black & ground). Once I connected the XAP800 via serial, I went ahead and cleared the settings from the previous owner. I then made sure that my first mic (Office) was not muted and set as shown below. I then opened the Matrix and double clicked Input1 to Output1 gated. I was then able to hear everything in on the PC/Homeseer.

One thing I'm seeing though is a lot of feedback from the ceiling speaker which is about 4 feet from the mic. When I start talking, I get a loud hum as your would when placing a mic next to a speaker. This also affects Homeseer from listing to the commands.

AshaiRey, what do you recommend setting to reduce the feedback from the speaker? I'm going to go over your VR blog again, but keep in mind, I'm only using the XAP800 for VR, not audio. I have a Russound that I use for the whole home audio.

(BTW, I was able to reset my brother's AP800. He had an incompatible serial cable connected)

Thanks,

-Devon

Comment

I Would lower the mic input vol. first and try. Sometime you may need to move mic from location that why it's recommended to have the mic in a long wire first to find the correct place for it first, then install permanent. You still need to setup Echo cancelled that can help a bit but mic position is important.
                    Hector
                    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Sireone View Post
                      AshaiRey, what do you recommend setting to reduce the feedback from the speaker? I'm going to go over your VR blog again, but keep in mind, I'm only using the XAP800 for VR, not audio. I have a Russound that I use for the whole home audio.
                      -Devon
                      Hi Devon,

Getting feedback is a normal result of you setup. Lowering feedback to a level that you don't get a self feeding loop is essential.
                      Hector gave you already some good tips. so
                      - Keep good distance between mic and speaker
                      - Lower your speaker level
                      - Lower mic amplification (this is the best option)
                      - Most mics have a favor for direction so turn the sensitive direction away of the speaker
                      - Use the filter option to cut off high/low or both frequencies. Depending of the humm or squeeks sound of the feedback.
                      - Put something in between of the speaker and mic

But remind that the sound picked up by the mic and goes to the PC doesn't have to be loud. It must me clear and clean when it goes to the mic input on the PC. If it'clean and clear even whispering a command is enough.
                      - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Hi Devon,

Getting feedback is a normal result of you setup. Lowering feedback to a level that you don't get a self feeding loop is essential.
                        Hector gave you already some good tips. so
                        - Keep good distance between mic and speaker
                        - Lower your speaker level
                        - Lower mic amplification (this is the best option)
                        - Most mics have a favor for direction so turn the sensitive direction away of the speaker
                        - Use the filter option to cut off high/low or both frequencies. Depending of the humm or squeeks sound of the feedback.
                        - Put something in between of the speaker and mic

But remind that the sound picked up by the mic and goes to the PC doesn't have to be loud. It must me clear and clean when it goes to the mic input on the PC. If it'clean and clear even whispering a command is enough.
                        Well, too late for mic placement. This was done prior and running new mic cables are out of the question as the construction is solid brick walls. That said, the mic is about 10 feet from the ceiling speaker, so my only option would be to tweak the settings. These are Crown PZM mics which are very sensitive. If I set the gain below 26dB, Homeseer doesn't seem to recognize much. When I set it higher, I get the hum feedback. I'll try to play with the filters to see if it makes a difference. BTW, I have not enabled any processing via the Matrix for this mic (Like what you mentioned in your Blog). Would this help?

-Devon
                        Attached Files

Comment

Gentner AP800

I have an extra Gentner AP800 that isn't being used if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by JB-dallas View Post
                            I have an extra Gentner AP800 that isn't being used if anyone is interested.
                            Blade may be after it. See Here
                            Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                            X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                            Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                            Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                            Scripts =
                            Various

Comment

Originally posted by Sireone View Post
                              Well, too late for mic placement. This was done prior and running new mic cables are out of the question as the construction is solid brick walls. That said, the mic is about 10 feet from the ceiling speaker, so my only option would be to tweak the settings. These are Crown PZM mics which are very sensitive. If I set the gain below 26dB, Homeseer doesn't seem to recognize much. When I set it higher, I get the hum feedback. I'll try to play with the filters to see if it makes a difference. BTW, I have not enabled any processing via the Matrix for this mic (Like what you mentioned in your Blog). Would this help?

-Devon
                              Maybe rotating the mic might help.
                              But you mention this "I get the hum feedback."
                              Is this hum as in 50Hz hum? If that's the case you got a more serious problem because you mic cable is picking up the alternating current from the powerlines. Keep the mic cable away from the power line(s) and/or use de-coupling capacitors on the mic cable, use good shielding, make sure you don't have so called earth loops in your wiring to and from the XAP and got that unit connected to a solid ground connection. For a filter use a high pass filter above about 100Hz but this isn't solving the real problem if you are picking up the alternating current frequenty.

Enabling the AEC won't help you here. Please read up about this because you need to fully understand it to set it up and get it working. Basicly it's used for substracting audio from other audio channels in the unit from the channel you attach this reference too.
                              - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Working...
                              X