Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spud View Post
    Hey Mark,

I'm trying to use the Homeseer skill with my ......or someone else could try the skill using the Alexa plugin and let me know how it goes.
    I cannot get this to work either and I do not have a French accent. The IFTTT works perfectly (Alexa, trigger ....). However, the HomeSeer skill integration does not (Alexa, tell HomeSeer...). When I try, I get "sorry I could not find ... device in Elliott's profile." The name of the device has been standardized as per the instructions for this skill integration.

Elliott
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

I can't get the official plugin to work either. I have followed the directions to the t, without errors. When I speak to my Alexas' they don't know what Homeseer is. If I go into the web app for Alexa it shows my HS device, not sure what I'm doing wrong, or maybe I'm not?

Any help would be appreciated.
      Thank you,
      Anthony.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
        I can't get the official plugin to work either. I have followed the directions to the t, without errors. When I speak to my Alexas' they don't know what Homeseer is. If I go into the web app for Alexa it shows my HS device, not sure what I'm doing wrong, or maybe I'm not?

Any help would be appreciated.
        Thank you,
        Anthony.
        Same here. History shows the request, but Alexa responds that it can't find the device. Also I note that the skill doesn't ask for missing info, it assumes the request is always complete (ie What device did you want to turn on?)

Without access to the skill itself, you can't see where it failed. It would be helpful to be able to see the request that is made to the HS system. That would probably explain why it fails.

Z

Comment

Could be an accent thing. I just loaded your plugin and enabled it with the HS skill and it appears to work fine. Note that you do need to use the words we have in the skill, but "light" is in there. So I believe the configuration is ok. Your reliability in this mode will also depend on how good your PC audio card is and microphone. Record your voice with the windows sound recorder and make sure its clear and noise free.

We have submitted a new skill with many more words and are awaiting certification of it, will post when its ready. We also will post a link to a web page that lists all the available words.

Originally posted by spud View Post
          Hey Mark,

I'm trying to use the Homeseer skill with my Alexa plugin which can replace the Echo device, but I'm having a hard time to make Alexa understands the homeseer commands I say.

From the history page on my alexa account, I can see that most of the time she understands "tell home seer...." instead of "tell homeseer...", sometimes she says there is a problem accessing the Homeseer skill, and sometimes she says she can't find the device I want to control. My typical test command is "Alexa, tell homeseer to turn the fan on" and of course I have a device named Fan.

The only one time that it did work is when I said
          "start HomeSeer", then Alexa said the Homeseer skill was started and was listening for commands, then I said something like "run the test event" and the event was triggered. But even that, I can't reproduce it anymore.

I think one of the problem is my French accent (though I have a fairly good success rate with native commands or with other skills) so I would love if a native english speaker like you or someone else could try the skill using the Alexa plugin and let me know how it goes.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I've been playing with this a little. I've found that your verbal commands to Alexa for device actions need to be identical to the descriptor in HS3. If you have a device name of "main lights" referring to a light in the room "kitchen." Saying "Alexa tell Homeseer to turn on kitchen light" will not work. In fact you would need to be specific and state "Alexa tell Homeseer to turn on main lights in kitchen." Try making a device with very simple floor, room and device names and see if that works. Prior to this realization I'd get the constant "no devices" found response. Alexa isn't as intuitive with HS3, at this point, based on my limited experience with the skill to date.

Comment

I bet names with "_" in them won't work? Example: Kitchen_Lights

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
              Last edited by ServiceXp; December 12, 2015, 08:28 AM.
              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Hector
                MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

My Echo is not discovering the HS device. Am I missing a setup step?

Comment

There is no "discover", you have to say "tell homeseer to ...". If it comes back and says that there are no connected home devices, that means the Echo is not connected to the HomeSeer skill, check the skill in the Alexa app.

The commands that work the best now are of the type:

tell homeseer to turn on the lights in the kitchen

Where the device name is "lights" and the location 1 is kitchen.

The next update will allow you to say:

tell homeseer to turn on the the kitchen lights.

Originally posted by will.i.am View Post
                    My Echo is not discovering the HS device. Am I missing a setup step?

Comment

I get the message in Echo that the Homeseer App Skill was successfully linked after I enter my HS credentials. I assumed that to mean that they were connected.

Comment

rjh, is there a way to log the requests/queries Alexa is sending to HomeSeer so I can troubleshoot?

I try:
                        "Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to Turn The Table Lamp On"
                        "Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to Turn The Foyer Table Lamp On"
                        "Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to Turn The First Floor Foyer Table Lamp On"
                        "Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to Turn The Table Lamp On In The Foyer"

and I keep getting "Sorry, I couldn't find a device or group named Table Lamp in A's profile.", and there is absolutely a "Table Lamp" device in my HomeSeer...

...or I intermittently get "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Homeseer Home Automation Skills Skill right now."

Comment

Try "Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to Turn on Table Lamp"

QUOTE=xified;1214061]rjh, is there a way to log the requests/queries Alexa is sending to HomeSeer so I can troubleshoot?

I try:

and I keep getting "Sorry, I couldn't find a device or group named Table Lamp in A's profile.", and there is absolutely a "Table Lamp" device in my HomeSeer...

...or I intermittently get "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Homeseer Home Automation Skills Skill right now."[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                            The commands that work the best now are of the type:

tell homeseer to turn on the lights in the kitchen

Where the device name is "lights" and the location 1 is kitchen.
                            OK this is the first place I have seen a reference to Location 1 vs room. In my system I changed the labels a long time ago so I have no clue what they were originally. In the Alexa documentation it says:

light=Device | kitchen=Room | first floor=Floor |on=a button on the device

Here is what my section in the setup looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Locations.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1182276

So am I correct in assuming that Location 1 is what is listed as Room in all the docs. And if so then Location 2 must be what everyone is calling Floor. If this is indeed correct can we have the documentation changed to denote it is really Location1 and 2 since there is not telling what people have changed their configuration to? I am pretty sure this is all correct assumptions but I would rather not make assumptions.

Comment

You can see what Alexa is hearing by checking settings in the app or on the web at http://echo.amazon.com/#settings/dialogs

So far the only thing that works for me consistantly is the phrasing

Tell Homeseer to turn the _ROOM_ _DEVICE_ ON|OFF

Such as "Tell Homeseer to turn the Kitchen Light on"

If I try to reverse the order "turn on the kitchen light" it never works

Also, if I use the "GET" verb, alexa always fails and understands Homeseer as Home seer (with a space) but when using the TURN THE verb it almost always understands Homeseer as "Homeseer"

It would be interesting to start a poll to see what verbs/order work for people in real use.

Comment

"Table Lamp" may not be a valid word. For some reason Amazon will not allow me to view the currently certified skill so I cannot get the current word list right now, but will post as soon as I can.

I know "Light" is a valid word, and kitchen a valid location so try renaming one of your devices to that and try:

Alexa tell homeseer to turn on the light on in the kitchen.

Originally posted by acalbear View Post
                                Try "Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to Turn on Table Lamp"

QUOTE=xified;1214061]rjh, is there a way to log the requests/queries Alexa is sending to HomeSeer so I can troubleshoot?

I try:

...or I intermittently get "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Homeseer Home Automation Skills Skill right now."
                                [/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X