Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to connect just a few doors or windows

Hi guys,

So, my house was pre-wired for a security system. I'm not interested in a whole-home security system, but there are a few doors and windows I'd like to monitor -- maybe 4-6 items. I've traced out a few of these wire pairs, so I know where they go.

I am thinking that I can take a few of these wire pairs and plug them into a device of some kind... maybe an arduino or RPi or something of that nature... and get a signal back to HS (by an HTTP call perhaps) to update a status.

Have any of you done something like that?

I would go with an Arduino or better yet, a Raspberry Pi.

Those wires are likely just contact sensors - ON/OFF and should be easy to detect. The Raspberry Pi could then send a JSON notification to HS.

Fun stuff!
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      I would go with an Arduino or better yet, a Raspberry Pi.

Those wires are likely just contact sensors - ON/OFF and should be easy to detect. The Raspberry Pi could then send a JSON notification to HS.

Fun stuff!
      Yup - just contact sensors! So ... let's say I use a Pi (easier!), is there a particular shield you would recommend to facilitate working these wire pairs?

Comment

Originally posted by hjk View Post
        Yup - just contact sensors! So ... let's say I use a Pi (easier!), is there a particular shield you would recommend to facilitate working these wire pairs?
        No, I have only worked with some Arduino relay shields. That said, I bet the built-in GPIO in a RPi would work.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I use arduino as it has more functionality and lots cheaper..its not hard to use at all. PI plugin is also good. Ultimately it depends on what you are more comfortable with

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
          HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Working...
          X