USB constant power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB constant power

I want to install a couple of z-wave sirens under the eaves. There are a few that run on USB power and I'm wondering what people use to power USB devices.

There are outlets with USB ports, but I'm wondering if there is a hardwired option that wouldn't require a longer USB run if I could locate the power source closer to the siren.

Suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
    I want to install a couple of z-wave sirens under the eaves. There are a few that run on USB power and I'm wondering what people use to power USB devices.

There are outlets with USB ports, but I'm wondering if there is a hardwired option that wouldn't require a longer USB run if I could locate the power source closer to the siren.

Suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

I am in the process of installing a number of devices in rooms that require permanent USB power. In hindsight the simplest solution may well be to get an electrician to install a well placed outlet near where the power is required, e.g. a nearby cupboard and wire a USB cable into it.

Alternatives if for example wiring into a central cupboard where a number of devices need to be powered.

Use 10m USB extension cables (bluerigger.com) which can be wired into in a cupboard containing a USB hub.

The solution I chose which works for ceiling recessed zwave motion sensors was to use Cat5e cable with usb adapters at each end. The range appears to depend on how much power is required. A sensor can be powered at the end of 30m, but an Amazon Echo which works ok with a 10-15m cable, can't quite manage being at the end of 20m.

It also requires a lot of time & effort especially if routing cable under floors and above ceilings, which was fine since the floor was being renovated at the time. The Cat5e cables go around the outside of the house and through into the rooms. Making a central cupboard solution more practical.

Whatever solution, check the device can be powered adequately over the distance.

Related to the above, an option could be to use POE over cat5e, with a USB splitter. This could enable the device to be powered by POE network switch. This may resolve the power issues mentioned above.

Interested to know how you manage it. If I didn't have unused network cables available, getting an electrician to create a nearby power source may even have ended up the cheaper option.

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the options. I already have some USB outlets around the house but I'm trying to avoid visible cables. So USB to Cat 5e to USB sounds like a great idea.

I might take this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      and connect it via https://www.amazon.com/Qubino-Z-Wave...eywords=qubino

then put a couple up in the attic, connect USB cables as you suggest. One of my goals BTW is to have two powered sirens under the eaves. It stays dry enough that although they're interior use, it's very dry up there.

Comment

I would home-run everything to one spot so you're not troubleshooting all over the house.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I think you are intending to use a relay switch to turn USB sockets on or off. Interesting...

I just tested splitting USB off Cat5e POE and it powered the Amazon Echo fine, so is a potential option if USB Cat5e adapters are not enough, although will test the range tomorrow it should be more stable for higher powered devices since there is 48v being injected.

Agree with rmasonjr if you are looking to expand the concept, feeding all wires into the same area makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X