replacing devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing devices

Today I replaced a 8 button keypad. On the ISY I used the replace switch function so the new switch has the old switch programming and I can control it with the ISY dashboard. However it hasn't updated in the plugin because I can't control it with HS. I restarted the plugin and it didn't help. Anyway to manually update the device?

Unfortunately, the ISY doesn't really notify clients that a device was replaced.

It does send one message that sort of indicates that something was replaced and the plug-in does attempt to use that to update the HS device. But since a keypad is handled as multiple devices, I'm not sure if the ISY is sending out the message for each button or just once for the keypad. If it is just once, the plug-in won't know how to handle it.

The best way to get it cleaned up is to remove the HS devices associated with the keypad and restart the plug-in, it will then re-create the HS devices with the right information. You will also have to re-create any events/triggers.

You may have duplicate HS devices created for the keypad at this point. You may have to delete all of them to get things back in sync.
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

I deleted all the devices and restarted the plugin. All devices got recreated. I can control the main keypad but not the other 7 seven. I can with my other ones. Additionally I turned on debug and none of the keypad appear in the log when I manually turned on/off including the main. All my other keypad in the house do report to the log. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by freeon View Post
        I deleted all the devices and restarted the plugin. All devices got recreated. I can control the main keypad but not the other 7 seven. I can with my other ones.
        Only the main button of keypads is directly controllable per the Insteon spec. The rest of the buttons only respond to group (scene) commands and even then, only to turn the button light on/off when they are a responder in a scene. So I'm confused about what the problem is that you're seeing.

Are you saying that the status of the HS devices for the buttons isn't following the actual buttons when the buttons are manually activated? If so, that would be consistent with the debug long not showing any messages related to the button presses.

Additionally I turned on debug and none of the keypad appear in the log when I manually turned on/off including the main. All my other keypad in the house do report to the log. Any ideas?
        The plug-in doesn't filter any of the messages by device, it just reports what the ISY sent. If the ISY isn't sending anything for that keypad, the problem would be with the ISY.

I just tried deleting a keypad and re-creating it in the plug-in and i think I see the same behavior. But I'm also getting the same behavior on the ISY admin console so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the plug-in. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the ISY or with the link tables.
        --
        Bob Paauwe
        ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

I think my problem was with the link tables. I did a restore device on the keypad and now things seem to be working correctly.
          --
          Bob Paauwe
          ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

My issue is that I cant trigger HS events based on a button press with this new key pad. I could with the old one and the other 4 I have in the house. If I physically push any button on any other key pad in the house it shows up in the log. So obviously the plugin is seeing the press and can trigger a event. With this new keypad if I manually press one of the button nothing appears in the log so I assume the plugin doesn't see the press. So my event programmed to trigger on button press are not triggering.

I tried restore device and no change.

Comment

That is the same behavior I was seeing with my keypad device. Pressing buttons on the keypad did not generate any messages in the plug-in log (or trigger any actions in HS).

However, I was also seeing this same behavior in the ISY admin console. I.E. pressing the keypad button did not generate any events in the ISY event log nor did it cause the admin console view of the button state to change.

The plug-in doesn't have any way to ignore messages from a device. It can be set to filter out specific types of messages, but not all messages from a single device. Because of this, the implication is that the ISY is not sending the messages for those button presses. So the next step would be to check using the event log in the ISY admin console to see if the events show up there. It would be very strange if the ISY was seeing the events but not forwarding only the events for that keypad. If that's the case, I would suggest rebooting the ISY as that is not normal/correct ISY behavior.

If the ISY is not seeing the button press events either, it implies that the link tables are not correct. Most likely the link table in the PLM attached to the ISY is missing the entries for the new keypad. That would match the behavior and be correct according to the Insteon spec. Devices (like the PLM) are supposed to ignore messages if they come from a device address that is not in their link table.

In my case, doing a restore device on the keypad seemed to correct the problem. I actually didn't expect it to as I thought the issue would be in the PLM's table, not the keypad's table. But I didn't do a device replacement so my issue could have been different, just showing the same symptoms. You may need to do some additional investigation by using the ISY tools to compare link tables/entries to determine what's wrong.

If after trying the above steps, it looks like the problem is with the ISY/PLM table, you should probably move this discussion to the UDI forums as the ISY experts aren't on this forum.
              --
              Bob Paauwe
              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

You are right the button press are not showing up the ISY log so the issue is not with the plugin. I have been having discussion on UDI forum but have not been able to resolve yet. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Hi Freeon,

I just looked over the thread on the UDI forum, and I think the last message is on the right track. I suspect that the PLM doesn't have the right link entries but I'm not sure of the right way to go about fixing that (which is why I thought posting on the UDI forums would be better).

If the only solution is to delete the device and re-add it with the ISY, you'll also have to re-add it to all the scenes.

If you do end up doing this, I'd suggest stopping the HS ISY plug-in, doing all the clean up on with the ISY console (I.E. remove, add, scene adds) and verify that it's working. Then start the plug-in.

The plug-in does a better job of getting everything set up when it starts vs. having to keep up with a lot of incremental changes happening on the ISY.
                  --
                  Bob Paauwe
                  ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Working...
                  X