X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KeypadLinc and Detach Load

Hi,

I have a few KeypadLincs that do not attach to any load. I cap off the red wire. I grew curious of the 'Detach Load' option in the Insteon device config page. I enabled it on one of my keypads and observed the additional 'Load' device added. I still have a few questions.

Although I'm not using the load wire for anything now, I could not find a way to control the newly added 'Load' device. How does one do that?

Is there any benefit toward the longevity of the device by using the 'Detach Load' option if I do not need to use the load controlling capability of the keypad? The keypads that do not connect to loads are all dimmers, so I wouldn't hear the relay click of the on/off variety. Is the triac doing any work without a load?

Thanks!
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

the additional 'Load' device should give you the ability to control a connected load using the on and off buttons?

post a screen shot of all the hs devices associated with the kpl if this is not the case.

i don't think there is any benefit of using this feature especially if you don't have a load connected. you might check the smarthome forum.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Here's a screenshot. I don't have any on/off buttons. Since it's a dimmer, should I have the slider too? And should my original on/off button still have the slider control?
      Attached Files
      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Ha! I misspelled keypad.

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
          Here's a screenshot. I don't have any on/off buttons. Since it's a dimmer, should I have the slider too? And should my original on/off button still have the slider control?
          I need to add the on/off/slider to the Load device. the original device will keep its controls as it can be linked to other devices and still control them
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I am using the detached load to power a light that is NOT controlled by the keypadlinc. It works great, except that I do not have the ability to control dim level or ramp speed, it is only giving me ON/OFF controls to use. The dim function DOES work if I use the remote switch press and hold to dim, so I know the dimmer function of the KPL does work. Did I do something wrong in my setting up the KPL, or is this a plugin issue?
            Attached Screenshot shows my concern.
            Attached Files

Comment

i'll have to work on this feature more. i think you are the first to give it a try
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
                i should have a fix for this in the next beta 3.0.6.28
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by bbuck2002 View Post
                  I am using the detached load to power a light that is NOT controlled by the keypadlinc. It works great, except that I do not have the ability to control dim level or ramp speed, it is only giving me ON/OFF controls to use. The dim function DOES work if I use the remote switch press and hold to dim, so I know the dimmer function of the KPL does work. Did I do something wrong in my setting up the KPL, or is this a plugin issue?
                  Attached Screenshot shows my concern.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                    Excellent news! Thank you!

Comment

.28 posted.

please test your device status polling as well (did some code clean up)
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I love the idea of these keypadlinc's.

How bad of an idea is it to try to use them if I have zero Insteon stuff. I'm 98% z-wave as it stands now.

Or is this completely reasonable and common with Homeseer users?

Comment

Originally posted by NickTheGreat View Post
                          I love the idea of these keypadlinc's.

How bad of an idea is it to try to use them if I have zero Insteon stuff. I'm 98% z-wave as it stands now.

Or is this completely reasonable and common with Homeseer users?
                          you can use any insteon switch/kpl as a standalone switch without automation. you can even link them manually so kpl btns can control other insteon devices.

i have seen several zwave users implement insteon in their homeseer setup just to get access to KPLs. Controlling ceiling fans with a kpl and a fanlinc seems to be very popular.
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                            you can use any insteon switch/kpl as a standalone switch without automation. you can even link them manually so kpl btns can control other insteon devices.

i have seen several zwave users implement insteon in their homeseer setup just to get access to KPLs. Controlling ceiling fans with a kpl and a fanlinc seems to be very popular.
                            Thanks. That's kinda what I was thinking. Good to know I'm not completely crazy, or at least have lots of company in the looney bin.

Comment

Thank you for your work on this. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance yet to test the additions since I didn't particularly have a use for them at the time. I hope to soon though, but a couple questions first.

I have 1 8 button on/off keypad, with firmware version 41. This does not show a detach load option. I assume it is a 2487S but I'm not certain.

I have 2 8 button dimmer keypads with firmware versions 43 and 45. These do have the detach load options.

I'd like to install another 8 button switch but have the upper right button control the load, instead of the upper left.

Questions:

1) Smarthome only sells a 6-button on/off keypad now. I don't recall if my previous purchase was a 8-button from the store, or if I converted it to an 8-button. Does anyone know if their current 6-button on/off keypad can still be converted to an 8-button?

2) Can I assume the newer on/off keypad models also support "Detach Load" like my two newer dimmers do? Does the plugin support that feature on the on/off keypads?

20% off sale is on now at Smarthome! I'm filling my cart.

Comment

Working...
                              X