Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honeywell 8320zw1007 install issues. - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honeywell 8320zw1007 install issues. - Solved!

Hi,

I just got a 8320 for Christmas and am having trouble getting it installed.

First, if the unit is not connected to any wiring (i.e. just taken out of box) and I pull out the little plastic battery saver tab, should the thermostat power up so you can see the temp, date, time, etc?

Mine does not. I have also tried a replacement battery. Same results. My old honeywell did power up with just the batteries. So not sure if I have a defective unit here.

The instructions say that the C common 24VAC connection is mandatory. My old Honeywell digital only required 3 connections - R (red wire color), W (black wire color), G (green wire color). When I pull the wiring out of the wall, I do have 3 other wires that are not currently used. Orange, Brown, and Blue.

I have tried connecting each of these to the C connection, but still not luck with the unit powering up.

So, I guess I am not sure if: a) I have a defective unit as it does not power up with batteries or b) the C connection is requred before the unit will power up. In which case, I am not sure how to determine if I have a C wire.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

This unit requires the C wire to power up.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      This unit requires the C wire to power up.
      So, do you know what the point of the button cell in the unit is? I guess to save settings in the event of a power outage?

Okay, I am confused now. Since what I am finding online states that the common wire is usually black, I tried the black wire (that is labeled W and was connected to W on my old Honeywell) in the C connector and voila, the unit powered up.

So, given that my old thermostat and furnace (i only have heat, no cooling) was working fine with what I guess is the Common wire connected to W, I am not sure what if anything I needs to connect to W now.

I can't quite interpret this:

http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/T...als_and_wiring

But seems like white an red can both act as the Heat Call? I am confused. Guess I will hook it all up and see if things work.

Comment

Okay, so while the unit powers up, whenever I try using the touch screen (to, say, set the temp) the temp changes, but then immediately the unit flicks off, then comes back on, then shuts off again and comes back on and stays on. After all this, the button press (changing the temp) is 'ignored' and the temp displays what it originally did.

Not sure if this could be because the black wire really isn't the common wire, but should be W - could any of the other wire provide power to the unit?

Or maybe I do have a defective unit. I have no idea at this point.

Comment

Do you have a multi meter?

Comment

I would also go in the basement and look at the wiring from the thermostat and confirm if the black wire with the white wire is connected to the common.

Comment

Originally posted by afmiller View Post
              I would also go in the basement and look at the wiring from the thermostat and confirm if the black wire with the white wire is connected to the common.
              Sigh. How did this not occur to me earlier? Usually I am pretty decent at trouble shooting.

Sure enough, the 3 extra wires I had at the thermostat were not connected to anything at the furnace. Connected the brown wire to the Comm 24v at the furnace and to C on unit and now all is well.

Thanks.

Comment

Np, hope it all works out.

Comment

Working...
                X