Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Wave Alliance Announces New Security Requirements for All Z-Wave Certified Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave Alliance Announces New Security Requirements for All Z-Wave Certified Devices

Z-Wave Alliance Announces New Security Requirements for All Z-Wave Certified IoT Devices

On November 17th 2016, the Z-wave Alliance mandated new security requirements for all devices produced after 4/2/17. Some of the new requirements are:
    • Authentication to the network via QR or PIN code
    • DTLS encryption
    • ECDH Key Derivation
    • Backward compatibility with current generation of Zwave devices

This is great news and will go a long way toward securing IoT devices that communicate via Z-wave. When I heard this, I had high hopes that Homeseer would have been ahead of the curve and already had the new SDK included in the current line of switches, given that I had just purchased a 5-pack. My query to Homeseer support and the fact that there are no codes included on the new switches suggest that they are not. Support did say that any switches produced going forward would have this built in.

Can someone from Homeseer chime in and tell us if the batch currently for sale have the S2 SDK? If not, when will they be for sale? I currently own a Hometroller Zee S2 (naming coincidence?) with the Zwave radio built in. Will I need to buy a new controller to have an entirely secured Zwave network?
Working...
X