Working with google wifi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working with google wifi

I had my Sonos working fine, with the PI all fine. I've setup Google WiFi today because my home WiFi is terrible. This is working really well, but forces wireless devices onto it's own separate network. It is connected back to the same router, but I can't see my Sonos from the PI now. Any ideas whether this is a network issue I'm stuck with or something I can force it to find?

Originally posted by Mack1979 View Post
    I had my Sonos working fine, with the PI all fine. I've setup Google WiFi today because my home WiFi is terrible. This is working really well, but forces wireless devices onto it's own separate network. It is connected back to the same router, but I can't see my Sonos from the PI now. Any ideas whether this is a network issue I'm stuck with or something I can force it to find?
    Do your Sonos controllers on all of your devices still work. Can you see your HomeSeer server from a wireless device? Can you run a Sonos controller on a wired PC? If all are true, it should work. If any is not true, Google needs to help you be able to bridge between your wired and wireless networks. Is it possible that your wireless devices are on a different subnet than your wired connection for your HomeSeer server? If that is the case a workaround might be to use a wireless connection for your HomeSeer server. This plug-in essentially emulates a Sonos controller,so it should work the same as any other wired or wireless controller running on a PC, Mac or handheld device.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

From my phone (on the Google WiFi) I can see HS3 (192.168.1.3:1000) as well as Sonos, but HS3 can't see Sonos. Perhaps a port-forwarding issue? Only way I can think of that means my phone can see both, but the systems can't see one another.

Comment

Yes, you need to configure port forward for your wireless devices to see them on you wired network.
        Or you have to connect your wired network after the Google wifi.
        I use a Asus router to also have VPN. Therefore I have 2 networks.
        1 after the router: 192.168.1.xxx and one after Google Wifi: 192.168.86.xxx
        Peter

http://ohh.pcgsm.nl

Comment

I don't really want to connect my wired network after google wifi. Lots of upheaval and sorting out port forwarding (which presumably would have to be on the Google WiFi) if I can avoid it. Not even sure I can get the Google to connect to my ISP modem.

I have setup inbound port forwarding for ALL the ports on the Sonos FAQ page to the internal IP of the google WiFi (192.168.1.219) - is that the right way to do it? Sonos controller from my PC still can't see Sonos. I'm not sure if I should forward to that address or to 192.168.86.1 (or both) and whether this is the right kind of forwarding to setup?

Comment

Had some advice on the Sonos forum. It seems this isn't possible, as the discovery broadcast doesn't get forwarded, so this HAS to all be on one LAN. Two solutions, one is building and running some form of complex script (assuming my semi-pro router supports it) to forward multicast packets. The other is to simply scrap my current router (or reduce it to a switch), setup the google wifi as the PPoE main router and copy my port forwarding rules onto that. My devices are somewhat smarter now, and I probably need fewer port forwarding rules and fewer reserved IP addresses than I used to, mainly for the handful of devices linked to HomeSeer which don't use uPNP or connect via MyHS (I'm thinking Envisalink and a few others).

Thanks for your help!

Comment

I thought for sure "There is no way google would do this and force you to have to use 1 IP range).. I was wrong.

If you really need this functionality, maybe look into a different system. For me, it is already missing vital functionality, so making it my main router would not be an option.

If you have the option of running ethernet to where your remote units are, I would look into something like the Unifi system and just run multiple APs. for my 1800 SQFT house though, 1 AP gives me more than adequate coverage.

Comment

Yeah, apparently Google decided to go for the simple solution and released the product, but no major updates to add functionality yet.

I think I can get it working, and beyond some port forwarding I'm not doing huge amounts with my router. I have a semi-pro one purely because I got sick of the reliability of the consumer market stuff and I have a Netgear pro switch which has never skipped a single beat.

I have wired my whole house with gigabit ethernet and had 5 access points dotted around, but they were still unreliable. OK for static devices, but the choice is have separate SSIDs and manage that across 5 APs or try to share them, but some devices like Nest Protects don't like seeing the same SSID twice and would connect unreliably. Even though Android is much better at hopping between networks before the signal drops right off one (and helped by SWIFI) it still has a significant drop-off. I have wifi-calling on my mobile, and this would just drop, somewhat defeating the purpose. A mesh network resolves all of this. Our house is only 1970's, so it must just be the layout and blockwork walls, but we get almost no signal from adjacent rooms. It is only 230m2, but 5 APs was still only covering half the house (and only average in some of them).

Mesh network is the only solution I can see, and the google solution looks fairly simple. Had mixed reviews of other products, but got to balance that they're probably trying to achieve more than Google's offering.

On the plus side, I can now revert to hard-wiring rather than relying on mesh as backbone, which had really annoyed me (although my wireless use is significantly lower than my wired, so wasn't going to cause me too many problems).

Comment

Working with google wifi

So the google wifi consists of a router base station with wireless repeaters. There should be a single WAN port which would connect to your ISP's modem/gateway, and then a single LAN port.

If you have multiple LAN devices you will need to connect a network switch to your google wifi's LAN port and then connect the rest of your LAN devices to the network switch.

It sounds like you are double NAT'ing from another router through to your google wifi, which is not optimal and tends to complicate things. The problem with doing this is that there is effectively a router/firewall between your wifi devices and your LAN devices. Layer 2 services and Layer 3 broadcasts transmissions won't cross a router.

The other option is to configure the google wifi base station in Bridged mode. I am not sure if google wifi even supports this. Normally, this would be done by disabling DHCP, assigning it a static IP address within the same subnet as your other router's subnet. Then connect the LAN port on the google wifi base station to the LAN of the other router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Kerat; April 20, 2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X