This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to sell my Homeseer license

Last December I purchased a license for HomeSeer 2 and just recently had time to get things set up. I discovered that I would need to buy additional hardware and software to use the Z-Wave, Insteon (in X-10 mode) and X-10 modules I have. My goal was to make the system more reliable and merge all control into one UI.

I should have done more research before I bought the Insteon PLM since it requires third party software to use it with HS. I also should have verified that my X-10 door switches were supported by the X-10 controller. Live and learn as they say.

Anyway, I do not really want to invest the additional couple hundred bucks on top of the HS license so I have decided to revert back to just the X-10 stuff and live with the occasional problems.

So my question is, where is a good place to sell my HS license and is there anything special I have to do to transfer the license to someone else?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered or if it violates some forum rule but I have searched the forums and support and have not been able to find an answer. Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately you cannot sell it without permission from HST. Extract from the HS license:

RESTRICTIONS

You and your employees and agents are required to protect the confidentiality of the SOFTWARE and Written Materials. Except as provided in Section 3 above, you may not copy, distribute, disclose or otherwise make the SOFTWARE or Written Materials available to any third party.
    You may not alter, modify, adapt or create derivative works based on any part of the SOFTWARE or Written Materials in any way, including translating, reverse engineering, disassembling or decompiling the SOFTWARE.
    You agree that you do not have any title or ownership of the SOFTWARE or Written Materials, other than ownership of the physical media.
    You acknowledge that the SOFTWARE and Written Materials contains proprietary information of HOMESEER
    You may not sell, distribute, loan, rent, lease, license, sublicense or otherwise assign or transfer this license or the SOFTWARE or Written Materials unless expressly authorized in writing by HOMESEER

Full license conditions here

If you wish to dispense with HS, what will you be using to control X10?

Many people still use Homeseer with X10 only systems but have all of the advantages and flexibility that Homeseer provides.
    Jon

Comment

Never thought that someone had a real reason to do this. But in this case, why not allow the user to transfer the license to a person that may enjoy it more?

One never knows. The next person may be the next person that may have a huge influence on this community....
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
        Never thought that someone had a real reason to do this. But in this case, why not allow the user to transfer the license to a person that may enjoy it more?

One never knows. The next person may be the next person that may have a huge influence on this community....
        Good thought. I agree. HS is definitely not the lowest cost solution for HA. (In fact, it's addictive power almost inevitably leads to feature creep for many users.)

On the other hand, it's not clear to me why HS can't be used for X10 control only. I and many others use it for X10 control with good success. No additional cost is involved if you have a compatible power line interface.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

So curious what are you going to utilize for your X10 control?
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

HS and X10

I was using ActiveHome (stop laughing ) and wanted to replace it with something more robust. There is only so much you can do with ActiveHome macros. I currently have HS controlling the X10 and Insteon switches although it has been less reliable than when I was using ActiveHome. Since I replaced the PC ActiveHome was running on, I belive that is my problem, not HS's.

I have several problems:
            1 - I have not been able to get an Insteon 2413U working. HS is unable to initialize the interface. I do not know if this is a hardware or software issue.

2 - HS does not support the DS10/12 door switches I have installed without the purchase of both additional hardware and software.

3 - The Intermatic Z-Wave USB controller I bought also fails to initialize.

I am quite capable of finding and working around all my problems but I do not wish to invest the time and money it would take. I was looking for a more turn-key solution which, I now understand, is not what HS is. I understand why HomeSeer does not allow people to transfer their license so I will eat the license cost and move on.

Thanks to all who responded.

Comment

Originally posted by SmilingGreg View Post
              I do not wish to invest the time and money it would take. I was looking for a more turn-key solution which, I now understand, is not what HS is. I understand why HomeSeer does not allow people to transfer their license so I will eat the license cost and move on.
              FWIW, I think you have made a wise choice. HS is definitely not a turn-key solution (unless your problem is too much time on your hands and an abiding need for more challenges and frustration in your life ).

However, I do think you should request that HST provide you with a means to transfer your license. The worst that can happen is that they'll refuse.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by SmilingGreg View Post
                I was using ActiveHome (stop laughing ) and wanted to replace it with something more robust. There is only so much you can do with ActiveHome macros. I currently have HS controlling the X10 and Insteon switches although it has been less reliable than when I was using ActiveHome. Since I replaced the PC ActiveHome was running on, I belive that is my problem, not HS's.

I have several problems:
                1 - I have not been able to get an Insteon 2413U working. HS is unable to initialize the interface. I do not know if this is a hardware or software issue.

2 - HS does not support the DS10/12 door switches I have installed without the purchase of both additional hardware and software.

3 - The Intermatic Z-Wave USB controller I bought also fails to initialize.

I am quite capable of finding and working around all my problems but I do not wish to invest the time and money it would take. I was looking for a more turn-key solution which, I now understand, is not what HS is. I understand why HomeSeer does not allow people to transfer their license so I will eat the license cost and move on.

Thanks to all who responded.
                A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, in another life I think, I used Active Home in blissful ignorance that there might be other options out there. Automation was limited to turning lights and appliances on and off at various times of day with macros, and a plugged in table top controller.
                One day, I looked around on the net and found several automation programs, one of which was Homeseer. I tried a couple of these, including HS 1.7, which I eventually bought. At the time, X10 was my automation world, but limited as mentioned.
                Homeseer has brought me Z-Wave door locks, IR control, a weather station, indoor temperature monitoring and control, a telephone interface, etc. etc. etc.
                Why limit yourself to "Macros" when scripting gives you so much more versatility. You already have the license, and it's unlikely it's transferrable; so you may as well make use of it.
                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

[quote=Uncle Michael;1013060](In fact, it's addictive power almost inevitably leads to feature creep for many users.)
                  quote]

Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I realize this is a very old thread, but for what it's worth, it looks like they *do* officially support transferring your license, though for a $20 fee:

http://www.homeseer.com/licensing-issues.html

Comment

Working...
                    X